GC, I need your help to ensure my future tokage.

Discussion in 'General' started by blacksabbath, Jul 2, 2009.

1. I am currently at odds with my father about my cannabis habit. I have debated with him time and time again to try to explain myself, but whenever I try to present my research he writes it off as bullshit. I'm going to promise him never to bring pot into his house, and to keep an open communication abut my smoking with him as long as it is tolerated.

So to possibly help him see my reasons and accept the truth, I am going to do 2 things.

I want to sit down and watch The Union with him.

I also am preparing a report about why I choose to smoke weed and how I can continue to respect his beliefs and smoke at the same time.

Now this is where you guys come in. I feel like he disregards everything I tell him. So I'm requesting you, the community to do me a favor to provide me with a chance to be heard out and considered. Here is what you can do to help:

List as many articles, sources, papers as you can that may convince someone in any way that recreational use of marijuana is not detrimental in any extreme ways. These may be quotes or articles, preferably debunking common misconceptions and myths surrounding marijuana. Those that are cited and show that marijuana doesn't do all the terrible things it is made out to and can be used to enhance your life and not control or hurt it.

It would be convenient if these sources supported the thesis statement for the paper I am preparing, which is as follows:
    "The recreational use of cannabis in a growing man, with moderation and responsibility, can be utilized in a way which constitutes no physical, mental, or emotional harm on a significant level."

Also it may help to know that my father is currently a deputy sheriff whose job has become part of his life, possibly in an over-intensive way.

Advice and criticism, as well as contributions are greatly appreciated.

2. First we need to know your age, most of the convincing arguments compare Marijuana to alcohol to you'll be going no where fast if your under 21.

Second if your father is a deputy sheriff who takes his job seriously then he may want to become a full sheriff which is a political/elected office in most counties, if so, your recreational use of an illegal substance causes irreparable damage to his career.

Third what are his reasons (beyond he's a cop) for not wanting you to use?

3. First, I'm 19, but often allowed to drink.
    Second, we live in a large county and he has no interest in becoming a sergeant, let alone a sheriff.
    Third, He feels that my brain is developing and it will make me stupid, hurt my short term memory permanently, kill my grades, ruin my life and something ridiculous about preventing synapses from forming in my brain or something crazy along those lines.

4. BBC NEWS | Health | Marijuana may block Alzheimer's
    Journal of Clinical Investigation -- Cannabinoids promote embryonic and adult hippocampus neurogenesis and produce anxiolytic- and antidepressant-like effects (Hope you like reading)
    Exposing Marijuana Myths - A Review of the Scientific Evidence (Check out the myths/facts at the bottom)
    Erowid Cannabis Vault : Info on Smoke composition

number of deaths
    attributable to selected substances in a typical year:

Tobacco...............................340,000 - 395,000
    Alcohol (excluding crime/accidents).............125,000+
    Drug Overdose (prescription)............24,000 - 27,000
    Drug Overdose (illegal)...................3,800 - 5,200
    Marijuana.............................................0
    *Source: U.S. Government Bureau of Mortality Statistics, 1987 (outdated, I know)

Synthetic [DELTA]-9-Tetrahydrocannabinol (Dronabinol) Can Im... : Journal of Clinical Psychopharmacology
    Principles of Responsible Cannabis Use - NORML

5. That's quite interesting, I didn't know a lot of that stuff. Being armed with knowledge is the best thing in a situation like this. Keep it coming!

6. Some researchers estimate that frontal-lobe development continues until age 25 to 30. Marijuana use has been shown to disrupt that development, those studies are suspect but you'll have no luck convincing anyone of that since the only conflicting studies are foriegn, but at 19, the damage should be minimal. However, if you have been smoking since your mid to early teens that damage may indeed effect your grades/brain development/whatever.

In my experience Marijuana use in the late teens can effect short term memory, but it isn't debilitating.

As for ruining your life, generally with marijuana the only reason it can ruin your life is because of its illegality. If you live in a state with harsh penalties for possesion then your dad is right to be concerned as he isn't legally able to help you hide your use. If his superiors start to suspect you he can either bring you in or risk losing his job and possibly his freedom. Cops can't play ignorant unless they want convictions overturned on appeal. "If he couldn't tell his own son was using how did could he have known my client was." There goes every probable cause drug arrest your father ever made.

I really don't believe your Dad doesn't want to advance his career at all especially if he takes it as seriously as you say he does, but even if that isn't a concern, if keeping your grades up and showing him it doesn't effect your schooling (college I must assume since your 19) doesn't convince him, I don't think there is an argument you could make that would convince him. Keep in mind that an slipping of your grades will automatically be blamed on the weed no matter what may be the actual reason.

7. if your dad knew how great marijaunna was you two would be crushing 4lb bags of pistachios daily!

Cigarettes vs Marijuana

8. Lots of good information here:

Above the Ignorance

It sounds to me like it is time to move out of Daddy's house :D

That solves all of the problems really. When he doesn't have to see it everyday and he doesn't get to see you every day he will loosen up.

9. I would really like to move out but I'm sticking around to help take care of my grandma. I don't really have that option right now, but the more information you guys give me the better. Thanks!

10. Hemp was once industrially used in America and was actually against the law in some states to NOT grow hemp.

It doesn't matter what we tell him or show him, most simply don't care, i've been in your position and the only thing you prove is questioning their whole belief system, for some, they just can't handle all of that so they will continue to believe in old misconceptions.

11. Honestly, I wouldn't bother trying to change him or his opinion. Just keep what you do to yourself, keep the bud and the paraphenalia out of his line of sight, and move out as soon as you possibly can.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks.