GC Book of the Month

Discussion in 'General' started by BlackNasty, Jun 29, 2005.

1. any takers?

seeing as how we do drugs and the like, i don't know how well this would work but it would be fun to read a book w/ a few other smokers and get together and discuss it.

2. not a bad idea... i love reading... what type of book?

3. just something we can all agree on.

i would have a blast doing this. i like to read, i like to smoke, and i like to talk about what i'm reading when i'm high.

one stipulation. i don't really enjoy pointless fiction....king, dan brown etc.

i do like fiction that emphasizes moral or some social theme....vonnegut, lots of classics etc.

4. i've been wanting to do some more reading lately so i'd be keen. i agree, nothing pointless though. something that we can discuss and share opinions on

5. Read The Lat Juror by John Grisham. I'm like a quarter of the way through it and man is it good.

6. i can't really get into that genre

7. yeh.. vonnegut is good.. umm... leary wrote a good book..

8. SO! I just found a place that has the entire text of Brave New World online. It's perfect. Revolutionary, science fiction, and its got awesome drugs man. http://www.hedweb.com/huxley/bnw/ BAM! I say we get to work and reconvene in 2 days and discuss the first 9 chapter thingies. Peace!
    Giffenrock

9. I can't read off a screen, that will be too, uncomfortable.

I just started haunted by Chuck Palahniuk.

I'll keep an eye on this thread. ^_^

10. I'd be into doing this, but I can't read an online book, either. The only time I get to read a book is during car rides and during dinner. So, online is out. For me.

We should pick something we can get at the local library.

11. a brave new world is not a very good book.. i read half of it and couldn't go on...

12. i say we first pick an author.

my vote is vonnegut

for those who don't know who he is ( :eek: ), his style is very satirical and can be viewed as black comedy. man this guy is nuts. great writing, accesable w/out being overly simplictic so if you like to read stoned ( who doesn't??:smoke: ), then check this guy out.

let me know what you guys think.

- BN -

13. Giffenrock.....Guster is AMAZING!!! i have everything of theirs but parachutes. they appeal to me on so many differnet levels its unreal. one of my all time favorite bands. seeing them live was a high point of my life.

and iKonic.....let us know how haunted turns out. i've heard palahniuk just wants to shock everyone....big surprise there.

14. breakfast of champions?

or slaughterhouse five?

both worthy of reading

15. i'm for vonnegut

16. breakfast of champions might be too out there for a vonnegut first timer but then again slaughterhouse-five is crazy warped.

slaughterhouse-five definately. one of the best anti-war novels i've read. very trippy....

on a side note. slaughterhouse five was written because of vonneguts experiences in WWII. he witnessed one of the worst war time acts EVER committed......and it was done by the good ol' U S of A. the US fire-bombed an inocent german town. the US knew there was NO military activity in the area except for a few plants but they leveled the entire town. the casualties were worse than the big A-bomb drop on japan.

just tell me to stop preaching anytime you guys feel like it.....:D

does anyone need to finish the book they're on?

i'm ready to get started. this is gonna be some fun. damn i'm a nerd

17. Most Recently I read The Art of War by Sun Szu and the Code of the samurai
    Right now I am reading Scorpions

18. put that crap down and join us!!!

art of war can wait!!!

19. I'm up for Vonnegut. I've always wanted to read Slaughterhouse Five anyway and I just never got around to it. I can pick up a copy on Saturday, hopefully.

20. cool w/ me.

start on it this weekend then?