Gay Marriage

Discussion in 'Politics' started by DangerBoy, Apr 9, 2012.

1. Lol... Clever pun on part of that blogger!

In all honesty though, I don't fully understand the gays' desire to get married. Marriage is largely a religious institution, and the bulk of anti-gay marriage sentiment is coming from strongly religious people. I don't understand why gay people would want to be part of a religious ceremony in a religion that refers to their lifestyle as an "abomination." If I were gay and the church refused to marry me to my boyfriend, I'd say "well fuck YOU TOO!" and never come back.

2. I don't think they want to get married in a church. They just want to get married. I have a friend who is marrying his boyfriend this June in a state where marriage is not legal. They are going ahead and doing it, calling it marriage, and ignoring the fact that the government doesn't recognize it. The problem they could face however is that if one of them gets sick, the other cannot make the same medical decisions on his behalf that a legal spouse could. That legal right would then go to the parents or next of kin. If one of them died, the will could be contested by family and he could end up with nothing. There are tax benefit, and legal benefits to legally married couples that gay people cannot have in many states, but worse there are restrictions that can be placed on them that cannot be placed on legal marriages.

It's a big problem.

So I advocate equal rights and protection first, but then they should get to call it whatever they want. Lots of atheists or otherwise non-religious people get married at court houses by justices of the peace, not because it's a religious ceremony, but because it's a social construct with legal protection and benefits.

3. I know what you mean there... I think they SHOULD get the right to civil unions (which should afford all the same legal benefits as marriage) I guess I should have clarified that the part I don't understand is why some gay people seem upset that they can't get married in a traditional church ceremony.

4. No one is upset about that and civil unions do not afford all the same legal benefits to marriage. Civil unions also do not have the same social recognition of marriage, which is discriminatory and wrong. For example, if I get a civil union, my significant other is designated a partner rather than a spouse, requiring an explanation that we do not own a business together, but are rather in a civil partnership, every time I introduce them to anyone. That's bullshit. They should be my spouse and no less. I love them just as much, and more if you've ever gotten a divorce, than you love your spouse(s) and they deserve a title accurately reflecting that bond and commitment. No one gives a fuck if it's in a church or not. That's not the issue at all. Weddings come and go, it's the stuff that's permanent that counts and is still unequal. Separate but equal is bullshit and we should all know this by now after all of the BS the slaves had to go through before they were given full equality.

5. marriage is not a religious institution, it's a list of specific rights and tax benefits granted by the state. Religion does not even factor into the equation. Realistically, the government should just fuck off out of marriage entirely and not prohibit or endorse anything.

I would happily get married in a church full of Christians who hated me, it'd make me piss myself laughing.

There are plenty of churches that actually want to be able to perform gay mariages. We're upset because it's blatant discrimination and homophobia that's ALL coming from people who are so fucking stupid and weak that they need an imaginary prick floating on a cloud to be able to deal with the world, and we're supposed to care about those damaged fuckers opinions on how we should live our lives? Fuck that.

6. I actually believe in God and I'm not afraid to call out a hypocrite when I see one. God isn't a prick. He doesn't advocate homophobia or any kind of hatred. Our greatest commandment is to love. God is love. It doesn't say in the Bible to ridicule those you believe sin, it says to love them. Anyone who ridicules homosexuals is a hypocrite. Anyone who tries to force Christianity on someone is a hypocrite and needs to try actually reading the Bible. Also, there's quite a substantial argument that the original Greek and Hebrew weren't referring to homosexuals, but rather male prostitutes and other amoral pagan practices. The Bible never even refers to committed, monogamous homosexual relationships, so it's moronic to condemn them because of the Bible, especially when the Bible explicitly states to leave the judging to God, or else you will be judged just the same, which means in a cruel, unjust, and hateful manner in this context considering the crap gay people take from "good Christian people".

7. If gays are cool with me, I'm cool with gays.

8. No gay couple in the world cares what you think. In my view, marriage shouldn't and doesn't end as it is a lifetime commitment as described in the Bible, yet a majority of marriages, a majority of which are performed in a church, end in divorce, and yet churches still remarry people, even when the new marriage is rooted in adultery. That's profoundly more disgusting and amoral than two guys, who have already committed the rest of their lives to each other, merely being recognized as a couple. Yet, I'm sure you recognize plenty of remarriages regardless of how adultery came into play. :rolleyes:

9. well, albeit a religious institution our government recognizes it to signify the joining and combining of two individuals and all of their assets. this is one of the most ignorant and thoughtless comment I've ever read because it denies the importance of equal rights for everyone. just because a gay man and his lover are not allowed to be wed, however spend 20+ years together, have a nice home, etc, etc.. it will be very hard for one of them if the other gets ill. they cannot share insurance and be each others spouses. you REALLY think this is all about some goddamn fucking ritual in a church? these people just want to have the right to be joined with the one they CHOOSE and people have a problem with that for all the wrong reasons.. to be honest I can't think of one right reason..

bigotry is the ugliest American feature.

10. I think we should outlaw heterosexual marriage.

11. There's a fairly memorable rule about brutally executing gay people too.

It also says to slaughter entire villages if there's an unbeliever there, you can use different passages to justify pretty much anything you want.

12. Not without fallacy... you can't take a book that states one thing and then misconstrue another part of it to mean the exact opposite without a gap in the logic at some point. lol I'm not sure if I've said in this thread before yet, but the word "good Christians" like to say refers to homosexuals is historically more likely referring to male prostitutes or pagan rituals and is ill-defined. Another term they like to say refers to homosexuals in the Bible actually refers to weak-minded or amoral people if you actually research the Greek, not two men wanting to commit to each other in a monogamous relationship for the rest of their lives.

13. Calling it misconstuing seems a bit dishonest, the book conradicts itself all over the place. I think it's more logical to say the book's an outdated mess,

Interesting, but try getting fundamentalists Christians to do research.

14. come on down to massachusetts...

15. Love and let love. Love and be loved.
    What is there to be accomplished by restricting people from recognizing and representing their love in the way they so choose? I can't believe the audacity of some people, thinking they can impose their beliefs on other people, like it's their right. So annoying. :rolleyes:

16. I want to get married to my gf that's one of the reasons I moved to cali

17. I don't believe in marriage. If 2 people love each other why can't they just be in love, does a government issued paper and 2 metal rings really mean that much?

Also I don't understand politicians who say gay marriage will ruin the santity (or how ever you spell that word) of marriage. I mean 50% of marriages end in divorce, and I'm pretty sure most vows include "till death do us part." That, to me, shows that a lot of people don't take marriage seriously.

18. I don't believe in marriage, but no one is making me get married. I don't think I have the right to make or prevent anyone else from making the decision for themselves.

19. What has arlready been said here is: The problem a couple could face without the "piece of paper" is that if one of them gets sick, the other cannot make the same medical decisions on his behalf that a legal spouse could. That legal right would then go to the parents or next of kin. If one of them died, the will could be contested by family and the spouse could end up with nothing. There are tax benefit, and legal benefits to legally married couples that gay people cannot have in many states, but worse there are restrictions that can be placed on them that cannot be placed on legal marriages.

So yes, when it's time to have some legal protections that government provides to married couples, it really means that much.