Gave up believing in God.

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by dirty old man, Mar 17, 2013.

1. Do you really think its rational that any god worth knowing would be the asshole for sale on sundays?
    It is rational thought which tells me for this god to be worth anything..... it would not require me to follow a bunch of humans....no different than myself
    for this god to be worth knowing it would have to understand how things change with time.... for it To be worth knowing it would have to have no intention of leaving anyone out.... this rules out most modern religions already for those having a difficult time keeping up...
    Forget your bible...forget your church...
    Liveyourfuckinglife!!!!

2. Dude, but guys, come on, you really think the church would lie to you?

Science doesn't have all the answers? That must mean we were created by the Judeo-Christian god and that the bible is literally fact.

3. It's just so obvious guys, think about it. A painting has to have a painter , so a creation has to have a creator.

4. religion is a form of mind control. it hinders progress.

5. Progress towards what?

6. religions impede on curiosity and progress towards peace and understanding the human condition.

7. which is why almost scientist in history till the pat century was a theist, and why islamics are responsible for the popularization of the scientific method.

religion, and more specifically theism, and science, are perfectly comparable if people aren't too ideological.

8. Wasn't it because of some weird reason that they believed mathematics was the work of the devil leading to the downfall of the golden age of islam? That shows that Islam today could had been more prosperous if they didn't cling to their islamic beliefs.

In the past it was taboo and could lead to the death penalty to openly say you don't believe in God. Also just because they were theists doesn't mean you can say their scientific achievements were thanks to their faith. If back then atheists were a almost non-existent , then of course scientists would be theists.

9. First other posts on this already show how wrong your statement can be at times, but...Why are those things important? If we are an anomaly in an otherwise empty universe which is it is looking more likely as learn, if we are doomed to never reach beyond the rim of our own solar system, and die with our star, what difference does anything make.

10. "Taught to believe from the onset, of heaven and hell and between
    The institution's retribution - damnation from on high
    Living and dying together never did nothing at all
    Except for the few who got rich off of you
    And the rest, they were herded like sheep

Mine are the eyes of God
    And what I see is not what was meant to be
    Mine are the eyes of God
    Mine are the eyes
    Mine are the eyes of God

Down the road to betrayal of values they held to be true
    An abberation, deviation to get to the spirit of life
    The whole goddamn world is riding on words for thousands of years
    It's just like the west, to think it knows best
    When answers are subject to change

Mine are the eyes of God
    And what I see is not what was meant to be
    Mine are the eyes of God
    Mine are the eyes
    Mine are the eyes of God

They took what could have been
    And turned it upside down
    They twisted all things seen
    What's lost must now be found
    I got to see it
    Got to believe it
    I got to be there
    I got to see it
    Got to believe it

Given the power of reason yet throwing it all to the wind
    No solution in evolution - only the blood-stained glass
    A soul full of lies in contention, begs sacred yet worships profane
    Lose sight of the fact that you're where it's at
    Not the stars, not the cross, not the moon

Mine are the eyes of God
    And what I see is not what was meant to be"
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJwEsf-swj8]Corrosion of Conformity - 7) Mine Are the Eyes of God + lyrics - YouTube[/ame]

11. Dude, I said a really similar thing about god and bananas, except no giraffes, though I did talk about turtles instead. That's some spooky stuff.

And it was in reply to the same guy you were talking too.

Btw I think your views are the most appropriate for humanity and it's situation. A paradigm of virtue, love and truth spread throughout all of humanity.

12. I appreciate the acknowledgment, brethren.