Gave up believing in God.

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by dirty old man, Mar 17, 2013.

1. It's indeed a freeing experience when you realize some of the biggest questions itching your mind for your entire life becomes a question that doesn't require an answer. More energy can be redirected to other wonderous philosophical mysteries of this world we call life.

2. I think God is everything, all is one.. one is all. There isn't just negativity in the world, their is a lot of positivity as well. Everyone has a good side and a bad side to them, it's a part of our nature, it's the side you feed that grows and that you become. It's the Ego vs your Soul.

3. You are on the right path of Enlightenment, everyone must walk thier own path.
    Remember all answers are hidden within the question, review your thoughts my friend. You have manifested me to hear this. You may have found the "holy grail"

4. I think the best REAL concept of a god would be the being that actually started EVERYTHING!

The primordial unicellular organism, the VERY FIRST LIVING THING EVER. That is what started ALL life on earth, and it has branched out into an almost infinite number of species of all sort, of plants, of animals, of dinosaurs, everything.

We are one branch of evolution from that primordial organism, and it is the closest thing to being our god in my opinion.

Here's a concept - some scientists theorize that there was a meteor impact on Earth prior to the advent of life, as Earth is believed to be lifeless for millions, if not billions of years until then. What if that organism was on that meteor, so where did that meteor come from? Was it a shard of an even larger meteor that could've crashed at other planets? Why do many religions have us looking upwards? Maybe it's a inherent instinct/internal compass that we did come from outer space?

Then again, I'm baked as shit.

5. Can anything be more true than this...? Our essence is One and undivided (hence, we are all dependent and need each other). This realm is a reflection of the One God... in this cinema of separation we may seem apart and unconnected, but this is a fallacy.--Is it a coincidence that gravity is a property of mass? No... our atoms gravitate towards each other, because their essence is not scattered, but united and whole!

6. I heard in a youtube video and I agree on this. To sum it up, "Man searchs for god as a meaning for life or of life. Human beings look at everything as having a purpose. Everything is a tool. That stick isn't a stick, its a spear. That rock is not a rock its a hammer. Our brains are hardwired to look at things with as having a purpose. And when we look at our selves we can't see a purpose. So we invent one or strive to find a purpose. But the real anwser is there is no answer. Life is a random happenstance. We are the result of a series of random events on a large timescale.".

It goes on but the point that I agree most with is the way our brain functions and how we try to see what our point is. I don't want to drift on topic but I wonder if our conciousness is a result of our tool orientented brain or is comepletely seperated? I would love others input on this idea or belief.

7. Life advances into its own purpose; the experience of its own existence.

Rid the human conscious of religious beliefs.

8. It took you 56 years? I kinda came to the obvious realization when i was in middle school......

9. It took you until middle school? Little tribal toddlers in the jungles never even started......

10. Sounds to me like alot of people in this thread gave up quick on this god the world sells you...

So what did you then turn to...

I can't help but feel this is the point when one has the opportunity to seek within...
    once the distractions of the world are shut out....only what is real is left....

No need to be lost...except that its fun from time to time..and offers lessons nothing else does..
    Everything you were ever looking for has always been with you...
    you only missed it because you were looking outside...

11. Muslims say that life is one big test. You've just failed it. No matter what happens you must have faith and believe and pray. If you don't: you failed your test -> welcome to hell. Yet if you continue to be grateful for what you have or what you have given others and pray and believe you will be rewarded not in this life but in the afterlife.

All the horrors you see here are on purpose. Every death. Every illness. It's all one big test.

(I read the Qur'an once)

That actually made me think that God must be one sick mind to actually put us through that. A very cold hearted entity indeed. But perhaps I'm wrong... It also states that if a sick child for instance dies, they go straight to heaven. They were a test for others (parents, family) and their faith, but the child itself will be rewarded eternally.

12. Sounds pretty strange. The child doesn't need to be tested and can go straight to Heaven. Yet, others have to be tested? Seems pretty arbitrary and baseless. If children can get to Heaven without being tested, why can't everyone just go to Heaven without being tested?

The God of the Quran sounds like a cosmic version of Kim Jong. Certainly not something any sane person would want to worship and glorify.

13. #53 Boats And Hoes, Apr 6, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2013
    The One God tells us to love and respect ur neighbor as u love and respect ur self... to judge no one... to help all, regardless of appearance... to proliferate love vibes and abstain from perpetuating hate... to not lie... to be true ourselves... to control our insatiable appetites... to not be scornful or resentful... to have humility... to forgive... to worship not man, but the ONE who constituted man... to not blindly accept this sensory world's dictates and ups-and-downs... to see things for what they are, and not what they appear...

Yea, sounds exactly like Kim Jong's philosophy... GTFOH :wave:.

14. I wasn't talking about that God. You obviously believe in a different God. I was talking about the God of the Quran.

15. I am speaking of the God of Abraham, friend... they are no different.

One God. One truth. One love.

16. but you said you weren't Jewish, Muslim, or Christian. :confused:

So, you're obviously talking about a different God. The God you claimed to believe in sounds nothing like the one from the holy books.

Think about deists. The God they believe in is nothing like the holy books.

17. #57 Boats And Hoes, Apr 6, 2013
    1.) I used to be a deist... but I realized, in due time, how absurd the ideology is.

2.) A Muslim is defined as a person who -- peacefully submits their will in the name of the One God, i.e., submitting to Allah, Jehovah, Yahweh, Jah, the One etc... (the linguistic labels and phonetics are of no real importance). So, whoever does this, is a "Muslim", in the truest sense of the word. Now, u can play around with the labels, and words, when referring to a person who believes in the Abrahamic God, i.e., the One God; u can label him Jewish, Christian, Muslim or what have u, but, again, these are just labels. When one truly understands our God, u don't have to ascribe rigidly to one dogma or holy book, for all of the tenets and holiness of God is already inside of u waiting to be discerned, so that u can grasp God for what HE is, and not what He's portrayed to seem like by biased and partial mortals...

P.S. A Christian is not strictly defined as one who believes in the Bible, but one who believes in Christs' teachings; just as a Muslim is not strictly defined as one who believes in the Quran, but one who believes in, and submits to, the One God and his message.

18. Dude! You have a picture of Thomas Paine as your avatar and he was a deist.:confused:

Call it labels, call it "One God" but the point is that many people would disagree with you.

You say "grasp God for what he is, not what he's portrayed to seem like by biased mortals" but you are a mortal too and you have your own view of God. You are still portraying your own idea of God which is different from other people's ideas, while simultaneously claiming not to trust anyone's idea except your own idea.:eek:

I'm not saying that's a bad thing. People believe all kinds of different things about God, but you act like you are above those people and your concept of God is the correct one and the others are wrong.

19. I asked that once to the Christians on this board. They said it's not enough to follow his teachings, you have to believe he was raised from the dead and died for your sins or else it's worthless.

20. #60 Boats And Hoes, Apr 6, 2013
    1.) Yes, and why do u think I once became a deist? I love Thomas Paine, even if I don't believe in his metaphysics (he didn't even really have one). Thomas Paine was a man who set out to spread love, righteousness, and virtue, yet he noticed how badly mainstream religion is being manipulated and corrupted by the power structure, and the sheeple, so he rightfully rebuked all those who blindly follow anything -- as I do the same! Paine's deism was a result of the times he lived in, and not a result of his heart... For he always believed in the One God, and this cannot be refuted.

2.) There are two properties which cannot be disregarded when speaking of "GOD" -- omnipresence and omnipotence. For the word "God" presupposes both of these attributes, friend. So, I have added nothing to God which is absurd or blasphemous.

"It is not wrong to deny the God(s) of the masses, but it is wrong to attribute characteristics and properties to God just because others do so." By characteristics, or features, or attributes, or property, I mean, more or less, a manifestation of the said thing... Like heat is a property of fire. A characteristic of a violent person is volatile behavior. A characteristic, or property, of God is ubiquitous and infinite Being; which is not the characteristic's of something mortal and mundane...