Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Gateway Theory is not BS

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by bubonic kronic, Feb 8, 2009.

1. The reason marijuana seems to be a gateway drug is because of the legal status and reputation. When people find out that marijuana is not as bad as they were told, the idea can easily be applied to other drugs.

Hey smoking weed didn't kill me, I wonder about those other drugs they told me about.

The whole gateway theory stems (no pun intended) from finding out that most drugs used occasionally and/or responsibly are not as bad and the media and public make them out to be. After smoking weed I have went on to try acid, beans, and various painkillers. When I did it was because I wanted to try these other drugs and not because marijuana made me do it. After trying those drugs I realized, hey this is not the high I am looking for in my everyday life. Acid takes 10-12 hours of your time. Rolling although awesome for hours leaves you feeling like shit afterward. And pain killers were good but too addictive. This brings me back to marijuana where I have a nice high, increase my appetite, and at most get a little tired after.(plus don't have to worry about overdose :rolleyes:). Those who continue to use these drugs without concern for their life end up becoming addicted and do mess their lives up.

Point is you can function in your everyday life and use marijuana, the other drugs I just use on special occasion for something different. Marijuana just opens your mind to new things, but does not force you to try other drugs.

So when doing drugs don't go off what you hear with all these theories and biased studies research it yourself and ask people who have personal experience.

2. What about cigarettes and alcohol - aren't they gateway drugs?

3. QFT

Out of the many years I have smoked, I have never ingested anything other than alcohol, herb, and shrooms. I dont have the urge to try anything else. If you want to label something as a "gateway" then I say its cigarettes. They gave many their first "high".

4. It's a little something called will power buddy. Maybe if you're just a punk kid with no morals, you're right, you probably shouldn't be smoking weed, leave weed to the mature responsible people.

5. I tried alcohol first then since i "liked the high" i tried weed

so is alcohol a gateway drug too?

6. #66 anonymous911, Feb 9, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2009
    You guys aren't making many logical points. I do believe that weed could be a gateway drug. True, you can just say no, but that goes for any drug, so does that mean that gateway drugs don't exist at all? I think what the OP meant was that he tried weed and liked being high and he wanted to expand his experiences. Before I started smoking weed I never would have thought I would be so interested in trying other drugs because that wasn't really my scene. Now that I do smoke, I do want to try more drugs. No it isn't because of Marijuana itself, it's because I want to explore since I know what a high is like; it has nothing to do with being a dumbass.

7. I would agree that MJ will open up avenues to get/have access to other types of drugs, but ultimately it comes down to the users decision. You are the one who chooses to experiment with the other drugs, nobody forces you to do it.

I would instead say that peer pressure is BS, you have the ability to make your own decisions. Peer pressure is just an excuse for having no will power.

8. ^^ You just proved that it IS the individual not the drug. So it is NOT a "gateway" drug. Like cigarettes, people enjoyed the buzz from them. Not everyone goes out and explores past that. What about alcohol? You enjoy the feeling from that right?

9. Did you not read my post? I'm not saying MJ is a gateway drug at all... I said that, yes, it will open other avenues to get other kinds of drugs. Most people would never have access to get other types of drugs if they didn't know a mj dealer or something first. Once again, I never said MJ is a gateway drug... but it does usually** give you access to drugs you wouldn't otherwise have.

10. I have found that the drugs it has gateway'd me to, while not completely risk-free (what is these days?), have been enjoyable and not done any harm to me. If anything, they have had a strong positive influence on my life.

11. school introduced me to drugs
    is school a gateway?

12. gateway theory is way BS if some1 does drugs its cuz of the kind of person they are, it has nada to do with what weed u smoke. weed is the only thing that ur supposed to do not drugs. thats wut i think

13. #73 Rauchen, Feb 9, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2009
    It is in some ways true because of the illegal market where people are introduced to other things, but nothing in herb pushes you to do something stronger.

14. In my opinion, it does have to be with someone being a dumbass. Not saying it is their fault though, no pun intended.

15. Oxygen is a gateway drug because without it there would be no way I could try any drug.

16. "I was concerned about telling any marijuana related jokes since they tell me marijuana is a gateway drug and might 'lead to other stuff'. First it's weed jokes, shrooms then coke jokes. Before you know it I'll be in a backalley trading blowjobs for punchlines."

-unknown stand up comedian

17. Weed is not a gateway drug. I was once prescribed codeine by a dentist after a root canal and the high was so much different compared to a cannabis high. It made me not want to try ANY other drug besides MJ because the positive, social, fuzzy high that cannabis has, is not present with other drugs (most of which are manmade/chemically synthetic anyways).:smoking:

18. Marijuana isn't a gateway drug.

The people that want to try other drugs and BLAME it on mj is was fuels the anti-marijuana groups.

I have smoked for years, and about 6 months ago I tried X...I have never blamed it on MJ. It was my choice to try X. I loved it but not an every weekend thing. I'm going to stick to smoking. Others though, get stuck on how another drug makes them feel then try making themselves feel better by blaming it on marijuana.

19. Gateway Theory is BS.

Seriously...... most of the time when I try something new and i'm daring i'm drunk...except for shrooms... i like those.. total sober choice of mine.

blame booze not bud.:smoking:

20. you are just as big of an idiot as people who say mj is the gateway drug. You can't defend one and then bash on the other. It is the USERS CHOICE to do or not do drugs. You can't say that any other drug made them do that drug. They may have wanted to try another drug because of a certain drug, however it is still THEIR CHOICE. Trying one drug is not going to make your brain say you must try another drug, it is all a CHOICE.