Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Gateway Theory is not BS

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by bubonic kronic, Feb 8, 2009.

1. saying weed is a gateway drug to harder drugs is like saying milk is a gateway drug for beer
    i started drinking milk now i drink beer so milk must have made me do it
    fuckin retards
    MARIJUANA IS NOT A GATEWAY DRUG THERE IS NO CHEMICAL IN WEED THAT MAKES YOU WANT TO DO DRUGS

2. all i do is smoke weed
    and trip shrooms and acid
    maybe a little blow here and there
    some other enthenogens
    and maybe a roll

but really...all i do is smoke weed... i never "chase a high"

3. I realize there are research studies that show evidence to support both sides and that we're all just giving our opinions here, and even though I hate to admit that I do believe that marijuana is a gateway drug, it was not MY gateway drug. By definition, the gateway drug theory or gateway effectis the hypothesis that the habitual use of less deleterious drugs may lead to a a future risk of using more dangerous hard drugs and crime. This applies not only marijuana, but also alcohol and tobacco. Yes indeed, tobacco was my gateway drug. At the age of 12 or 13, I was behind the grocery store in my little town smoking cigarettes with my friends. It wasn't very long after that I tried alcohol. The natural procession, only because of its availability and the fact that I was a rule-breaker, was to try marijuana and at my first available chance I did. Some time later I was introduced to cocaine and I tried that as well. Then came LSD, ecstasy, prescription narcotics and pain pills. I tried crystal meth the first time I came in contact with it, as well crack cocaine. These two I only had to do once to know that I they weren't for me. I have never seen heroin in my life and know little about it, but 10 years ago if someone were to have offered it to me and I did not have to shoot it through a needle to ingest it, I'm sure I would have tried it too. I would have tried all these harder drugs whether or not I had ever smoked that first cigarette, done that first shot of alcohol or smoked that first joint. Human beings are curious by nature, and I was more curious than most.

4. marijuana itself does not make you want to do different drugs...it is not a gateway drug. people who chose to do different types of drugs should not be blamed on that lame excuse its because i tried weed?. if you make the choice to try a different drug please be responsible and not blame it on weed being a gateway drug

5. Lets see, marijuana being illegal immediately puts you in the other market for illegal drugs.

Marijuana isn't a gateway - the illegalization of it is.

Nevertheless - if you did those drugs, you are stupid. I smoke every day and i will never touch anything else including alcohol.

A cigar for occasions now and then though :D

6. i've been smoking for a few years, and i'm going to come out and say that marijuana IS a GATEWAY DRUG

you're just being naive if you think otherwise

so in the past year i've tried shrooms and acid, i would have NEVER done EITHER of those if i hadn't been smoking weed for awhile now

it's my decision, im responsible for what i do, etc etc blah blah

but the fact is marijuana introduced me to psychadelics, of course its a gateway drug

be realistic here people

7. Marijuana didn't introduce you to psychedelics, you did. Or your friends did.

8. I don't know about all that, I did pills for awhile before any marijuana. I also did acid before I touched marijuana. Then I smoked herb about 10-15 times and then did shrooms. I guess it's a gateway drug for alot of people, but it wasn't for me.

But now all I do is blaze

9. The studies basically say that the same traits that push someone to try marijuana are the traits that would push someone to use any drug. Marijuana just happens to be the easiest to come by, so they try it first. Still, tobacco and alcohol use predate marijuana use in most cases, so those two can also be labeled gateway drugs. And for every marijuana user who goes on to try harder drugs, there are thousands of smokers who never touch anything else.

10. you are wrong.

42% of people 12-infinity will try marijuana atleast once

the percentages are lower for all other drugs

thus proving you wrong lol

smoke weed and trip

that's basically all weed really can gateway someone into doing
    its someones choice to decide to do coke or something as stupid as heroin or PCP

11. wow dude, you are a genius...

12. source?

13. oh hell yeah man. nobody wants to try any harder drugs until they realize what drugs really are, which they realize from smoking trees all day.

14. how do you know you would never have done those if you smoked weed you dont know what your life would be like if you never smoked
    and did marijuana come up to you on the street and say DO ACID DO SHROOMS NO!
    you made the decision on your own to do those things your just looking for someone or something to blame

15. proven fact tobacco is th gateway drug many start with cigs then drnk then pot then acid then w.e

16. Look up the words 'correlation' and 'causation' then see if you can figure out the flaw in your logic.

17. yeah cuz weed cant tlkonly thing i did in my 8 yrs of smokin is shrooms cuz if it grows in the ground its prolly ok lol

18. Alcohol is just as much a gateway drug. The ONLY ONLY difference is that it's legal.

(If anything it's worse with the addictive components)

19. the culture may encourage some people, but the actual herb itself does not.

20. I agree with your sentiment.

I have never walked down a street in the U.S., and had someone offer me beer, or hard liquor, as a black market item.

But they used to be.

And bootleggers engaged in all kinds of subversive activities back in those days. And pot was legal.

Then they made Booze legal, and made weed illegal.

Go figure.

People use other drugs, more often than not, IMO, because they are there, and it is just part of the selection, so they get tried, just like you said.

But marijuana is not a Gateway Drug, by any stretch. It's the black market you get exposed to that makes all of it seem OK to try.

If pot was legal, or at least controlled etc., there would be far less use of the other drugs, IMO. I could be dead wrong, but that's how I see it.