Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Gateway Theory is not BS

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by bubonic kronic, Feb 8, 2009.

1. BS ive been smoking pot since i was 15 im 22 now and ive turned down shrooms coke adam so many times its not even funny. ive tried saliva once but besides that i havent done a "real drug" im living proof that MJ bein a gateway drug is BS.

2. This thread makes sense, too much sense...

3. Another thing people, trying other drugs isn't necessarily a bad thing at all. Depending on the drug of course. Things like cocaine and heroine are obviously not substances that are going to offer many long term positive effects. The pros are outweighed by the sons. Entheogens like Salvia Divinorum and Ayuashca can be very pleasant and spiritually transformational experiences.

The point is to stay away from the bad drugs. Some drugs, DMT being one, are more enlightening and even "safer" than pot. So think about that as well.

4. marijuana isnt the gateway, prohibition is man. dont blame mary for your problems because your friends couldnt keep there heads above the culture and ignorance around drugs. theres no magical chemical that makes you want to smoke crack. its the atmosphere and the people mary brings in that do and bring the real shit in.

5. It's not even about "staying away" from certain drugs (though personally I don't think stuff like PCP and meth should be touched). It's about an individual's choice about what he/she puts into their own up until the point where they are harming others. Education is the key step, know what you are using and the effects/possible consequences before you do.

6. It is too BS. I tried alcohol first, and then marijuana. Then because of MJ's illegality, i was put in contact with people to get ecstasy, etc. Like the others said, its the prohibition causing the gateway theory in the first place. Topic poster, stop trying to encourage stupid propaganda!

7. The biggest reason MJ is a "gateway" drug is that you live your young life hearing about how BAD drugs are and then somehow you find yourself floating in the afterglow of a marijuana haze and think to yourself, "all of those people are liars... this is the best thing that has ever happened to me". Well maybe they were lying about coke, or heroin, or whatever too...right??? I know I sure had to see for myself, luckily having some friends waste their lives on some of the things that you really shouldn't be doing kept me away from that nonsense, but there were things that I tried due to my wake-up experience with MJ.

If MJ wasn't illegal and so blatantly propagandized the gateway effect would be eradicated.

8. the "Gateway Drug" theory really depends on the person...
    I used to drink a lot and then move to over the counter drugs and then moved on to Prescription drugs
    One day, while high, I realized "I could stop paying 10 for 2 xanax and just buy weed instead"

I've been a strictly-weed smoker since.

So no...the theory is just that... a THEORY.

AND TO ALL the agree with me, thanks!

9. #30 teh_biscuit, Feb 8, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2009
    It is to some, others not. Depends on your tolerence and willpower.

Any of my friend druggies, they'll tell me theyve had marijuana before taking coke, opium, crack, extacy, etc.

One depressing day, marijuana wont cut it for you or you wont have and you'll feel like taking something harder to try making that shit go away. Then you'll get addicted,etc

Or your friends can have some while you smoke marijuana and you might wanna try some(not always the case)

Then again its not really proven so...

10. I didn't read the whole topic, so someone might have said this before me, but nevertheless, i just wanted to add.

Smoking pot don't automagically makes you crave for some LSD or Heroine!
    As someone already have mentioned, it's the enviroment, your surroundings, people talking about how they were tripping last weekend etc..
    Don't ever underestimate the influence you enviroment has on you. ever!
    It is what shapes you, as a person, as an addict.

If weed was legal and distributed in controlled forms, then we didn't have to go to the "black market" to get ahold of our weed.

Dealers often deal with other drugs, besides marijuana. Let's say your dealer was out of weed, you were a young man or woman, just looking for a buzz.
    The dealer had some speed and X, and you had heard from your friends that it was totally awesome and you should try it.

The drug Marijuana, in it self, does not lead to the use of stronger drugs!

11. Savlia is legal here is california for about $25/gram for anyone 18yrs old +

wtf is that shit? the gap step between ciggs and weed?

12. No drug can be a gateway drug. There are always unseen factors and circumstances that will influence someones behavior and decisions. The fact here is that Marijuana itself does not lead to the use of harder substances, but rather the legal and social reality surrounding marijuana is what perpetuates the majority of the negative stigma associated with it.

13. Its amusing to read the replies as many of you cannot read a opinion and properly understand it. I never said MJ will make you try other drugs, only that it will make it easier and more likely.

14. Gateway theory is bullshit. Once you smoke a couple of bowls you don't want to go out and get ripped on heroin, you want to chill and eat some damn potato chips. Its your own fucking fault if you started doing harder drugs, after marijuana use.

15. For me alcohol was my gateway drug( and possibly laughing gas, prescription opiates, and cigs.). Had I never had champagne at 14 or 15, and tequila at age 17(when i finally experienced alcohol fully and had the "that's why" epihany), I prolly would not have eventually tried cigs at 18, then weed at 21, then coke and speed(adderall) at 22. However 80% of people in my life think I only drink, and have never dabbled with illicit drugs(
    and I wanna keep them thinking that!). I never got hooked on anything,KNOCK ON WOOD! Now I am not saying alcohol is responsible, since I was my own gateway into trying drugs, plus I knew what I was getting into, and how potentially addicting harder drugs can be. But I must say when I was drinking heavily, I became curious about LSD, Coke, heroin, and weed, my first exposures to weed and yay were while I was drunk. By no means do I recommend friends of mine who are drug naive dabble into any of the substances I've tasted, but If they are so curious, I'd rather they try with me, or any of the close friends, than from strangers.
    In a nutshell, I don't think it's the drug, but the mind that's the gateway.

16. and I never said that you did - what I'm trying to get at though is that the gateway theory is presented as an inherent quality of the drug, and is used to support continued illegality, when in fact it is the illegal nature of marijuana itself that the majority of "gateway" issues stem from. keeping it illegal only perpetuates the problems.

17. If marijuana was legalized or drug dealers were cut out of the situation marijuana would no longer become a gateway drug. A drug dealer runs a business. Similar to a gas station manager. They have all kinds of services and you go to them for an item that you want. Sometimes something else catches your eye or there is a "sale" on it. Interested you buy it. Congrats, you've just confirmed marijuana as a gateway drug because your drug dealer caught your attention with some other drug. Similar to Exxon and Shell catch your attention with Snickers after you've bought your Arizona Iced Tea.

18. Honestly, I don't want to try new drugs because grass isn't "powerful enough," it's just because of it, I've looked into different drugs and out of my own thoughts and views have looked forward to trying things like acid and shrooms.

And in a way, I believe the Gateway Theory to be true, but not because "marijuana just isn't powerful enough anymore." I have however been more open about the thought of trying stuff like acid and X after having been introduced to grass.

19. I completely agree. Marijuana is a gateway drug, people are just denying this for some reason im not sure. People who are exposed to marijuana have a greater chance of being exposed to other drugs. Thats just obvious.