Gateway drug article

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by Judo, Sep 3, 2011.

1. you see what time he created his account, then look at what time he posted that article. the same day. maybe the dea has a bunch of people going throughout the online community to spread how bad weed is for you.

2. #3 NefariousBredd, Sep 5, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2011
    Marijuana is definitely a gateway drug, but prohibition is the gateway. When young kids go to score a gram and the hookup spots a sample of <insert bad drug here>, things start to happen. I mean, what adventurous young kid out for a good time with the young ladies is gonna turn down a dose of <insert bad drug again>, which is sure to <insert teenage fantasy here>? Really, though, it's usually just a friend who had an awesome time on something and wants to share.

The only slightly compelling argument that the prohibs have any evidence for is the "Gateway Effect" in children 6 - 12 years of age. Studies in this general age range seems to indicate use of marijuana does have a correlation to later, heavier drug abuse and addiction. No kidding? Any semi-intelligent human being would ask what the hell is going on at home for such young kids to be smoking weed? In this article they're simply discussing the straw that broke the camels back. The argument is definitely much more compelling for nature vs nurture, as the author glosses over in his intro.

That is my observation of the phenomenon know as "The Gateway Effect". These types of things happen when there is no regulation of distribution. To compound the dangers of consumption alone, there are also no quality controls to ensure purity and safety or provide "food grade" designations.

The absolute worst part about it all is there can't be any targeted education for consumers, such as with prescriptions. It's all a side effect of prohibition. If you think I speak only of other drugs, read up on some of the things traffickers have used to mask the odor of marijuana, the preservatives and pesticides. Now there is this freshly emerged (10yrs or so) rubix cube of possibilities for synthetic drugs, so bags of weed are showing up laced with all types of sinister stims and psychedelics.

Of course, the obvious answer to any peace-loving free person is to get a handle on marijuana distribution so that we can regulate it. Everyone has heard it by now, and it's still very true, kids have a much easier time getting weed than alcohol or cigarettes. Many never even have to pay for it, as it's ever-present and usually offered freely.

As a father of 2, I can say, with utmost sincerity that I don't want my children consuming cannabis in any way, shape or form until their brains are fully done developing. Truth be told, I NEVER really want them to smoke because of the potentially devastating man-made side effects of arrest and incarceration.

As for the Gateway Effect? I don't subscribe to that kind of fear-mongering. My children will go through their trials and tribulations as we all to, and they will never have to do it alone. If it's drugs and addiction, then as a family, we are prepared to handle this. I don't need rabid drug cops protecting my children with criminal records and prison bars.

3. They can't even spell cannabis right lol

4. I love how the article was aimed at regurgitating the same old government spun lies about the gateway theory, but at the very end of the article was an advertisement for marijuana seeds. wtf! :laughing:

5. Fuck'em. That's all i got to say.