Gardeners Swamp Grow 2009!!

Discussion in 'Outdoor Grow Journals' started by gardener, Apr 16, 2009.

1. hey guys, i picked up some FF big bloom. its got a tiny bit of Nitrogren but the way i figured it, theres alot of stuff that could make the leaves lighten up. I think after this rain the soil is flushed and its time to get some ferts in threre. I went with the big bloom ebcuase my plants are beginnign to show sex. cheers.

im thinking a tablespoon per gallon? too much?

2. The bloom ferts will help a little if it is an N problem, since there is a little in it, but it would be better if you could use higher N even if it has to be something from your local store. So I would say if you see a noticable improvment after using the bloom fert. Then go with higher N, or maybe top dress with rabbit manure or blood meal.You still have a while before your plants will really start budding. Probably in August.
    Also, you stated that you used a compost with worms in it. Which should be good enough to support that plant for quite some time with N. Did you add lime to this mixture? If not, I suppose it could be possible the N is just locked out. You could top dress with a half cup lime. Also I would add a half teaspoon of Epsom salts per gallon with that bloom fert, just once.
    Hope this helps. You have to pull this off. No pressure man. haha

3. thank alot for the input briar! i havent used lime becuase the ph is perfect and i dont want to mess it up. i got the bloom because its gentle but has a little bit nitrogen. im not sure if a nitrogen deficiancey is the problem. the rain just kicked my plants butts and with the big bloom it covers budding and flowering, i think the plants are still gettting alot from the soil as well as the water, but bloom will hopefully just smooth things out in a natural way.... as for the bone meal,where can i get it, a nersury or back to the sketchy hydro store haha. ill use the bloom for like two weeks if i see no signs, ill check out bone meal. lime and salt is my last option, i really get nervous about adding that stuff to the soil. thanks again

4. I understand where you are coming from, and it is wise not to panic. But.......Lime is essential to a swamp grow especially. From what I've read and experienced. Epsom Salt is magnessium not salt. I suggested blood meal not bone meal I believe. The only reason I suggested what I did is because I use these things myself, and I want you to succeed. Now that you said you didn't use lime, I think if you have a problem thats it. I've never noticed my plants turning yellow from alot of rain? Keep posting pics. Good Luck man.

5. thanks alot briar, youve been alot of help. with the rain i havent checked them in a few days and yes i am beginning to panic haha. but yea i am definitly going to check out blood meal. can i get it at a nursery or do i have to back the hydroponics store. they did sell soils but i just didnt look.

and i take back what i said before. i think im going to look into blood meal first and wait to add the big bloom for a couple more weeks.

6. I'm thinking that the blood meal won't do any good until you add some lime. I'm so sure of it I'll make you a deal. You try the lime and if it doesn't help, the next time I'm in Mass. I'll pay you backthe cost of the lime.haha Seriously though, I use 1 cup for every 6allons of soil mix, no matter where I'm growing. I threw in an extra handful for every plant in the swamp. I use compost in my mix also so we are talking apples to apples here. You see how green mine are.
    I have experience in growing grass in contaminated soil, say as in oil contaminated, and lime will grow grass where you couldn't get grass to grow before. Have you ever seen grass, weeds, flowers, growing in Limestone, it does. Just pointing this out to show you how important this is and that weeds love it. Its not a sexy thing to talk about like name brand ferilizers though so you don't hear much about it.
    Since your holding off on buying bloom fert. may I suggest using molasses instead or at least the last couple weeks? For N you could use diluted coffee also. I feed my houseplants 4 to 1, water to coffee. they love it. I put coffee grounds in my soil mix.haha I drink alot of coffee.

PS. I'm in Mass more than you might think.

7. oh mann u just made my day, thats great stuff. once again thanks for the help, i really do appreciate it. im going to use the big bloom cuz i spent 16 bucks on it so i better get my moneys worth out of it. i like hearing all the soultions tho, i never would have thought of coffee, next year i will do alot of things differenly.

ok so how much lime, i have two plants in 5 gallon buckets, they are hurting the most. the rest are in bigger pots.

if they die im gonna track you down, im always down for a free beer in boston. haha thanks again.

8. I think a half a cup to a cup depending on container size. Say a half for the 5 gal. and more depending on how much bigger the other ones are. Work it into the top of the soil with your fingers, doesn't have to be deep, so an inch or two, try not to tear any roots so go kinda slow. Then water with your fertilizer. Take a pic then wait a week and take another pic. Then we can reassess after that. You may have to ruff up the soil every time you check them for awhile, You don't want a crust to form that would block air.

9. Hey everyone its been a while so i figured id update. Here in Massachusettes we are having one of the rainiest summers ever. like we havent had this much rain since 1970 or something.... its a shitty year for my first grow

the plants all got beat up and my second biggest is already showing sex so with all the dark days it got screwed up. i dont think ill get much from it, the biggest one is now well over 4 feet and very healthy. im just so scared its a female. its been sunny the past few days and everything is starting to look a little better, i lost a lot of bottom leaves but that seems to have stopped and everything is going back to a nice green color.

ps. theres these little bugs that i keep getting on my plants, they dont seem to do anything and they are really small but cool looking. their like pinkish red and blue, almost neon colored. i think they have wings but they are oval shaped. any idea? ill try to get a pic.

10. heres my biggest, still no sign of sex but very bushy so thats promising. second biggest got hurt bad by the rain, it never filled out. instead it showed sex early, so i guess ill get a quick gram in a couple weeks... oh well. 4 others still smaller but with the great weather i still have high hopes for them by september. cheers.

[​IMG]

11. plants are looking good im in a state right near you, i would say you are doing great for your first grow and all the rain we have had. If you havent already top or fimm all the new braches and tie the top of the plant down so the entire plant gets light, fishing line and a stick in the ground works best, youll gain some extra yeild and denser buds, keep us updated

12. Hey man very cool, you got the right attitude just sticking it out and doing your own thing, and your getting some good results I see. Good luck I'll be following this thread.

+rep

13. Gardener, imaginative grow in the swamp. I used to live in Mass. Down south in the hot, humid weather you like so much now. My first grow this year also. My biggest plant grew to fucking 7 feet before it finally showed it's sex, and it was a male:(. I cut it down this morning. I was fucking bummed. But, 8 left and I'm pretty sure they're all girls. I had heard the males get bigger than the females, don't know how true that is though. But, it was right on the money for my monster. What a fucking waste of time huh?

Keep up the great work and good luck :hello: +rep.

14. nice garden.

15. hey thanks for all the kind words!!!

Dallas, i dont think im gonna touch the plant at all. i will def next year but with it being my first i just kinda wanna let them go, cuz i honestly dont want to mess anything up lol

im sorry to hear about your loss mellotoker and yeah i have this bad feeling its gonna be male. oh well theres always next year rite?

and thanks eleven and lion. lets just hope i get a bowl pack lol.

16. #116 Lion_Box, Jul 14, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2009
    Im kinda with you on that one, I'm a little over 2 weeks into my first grow (indoor) and idk if i want to mess around with topping and fimming and LST just yet...But i most likely will on at least one of my plants, one of them actually got knocked over but it didn't break so I'm holding it down with a paper clip to sort of low stress train it.

Do you plan on doing another grow after this one? You should think about cloning your plants and keeping the ones that had the higher yields. I'm pretty sure you can get clonex rooting gel for 5 dollars at hydroponic shops, you'd be surprised how many there are even in MA - Sure you already know about that tho

little rambling hah :smoke:

also, idk if its true but my buddy says it's because im growing indoors but my plants seemed to show there sex last week when they were only 10 or 12 days old, they all seem to be female 4 of the seeds were feminized but 3 were bagseeds, seems like decent luck but we will see over time maybe i'm just being a noob.

17. great stuff. + rep!

18. Glad to see things worked out for you. Which container is that big one in?

19. the big one is in a 2 and a half foot tall swamp tube made from fence and tarp. the second biggest is in a really low container. i think next year im gonna go for 2 foot tall tubes.

20. so i got kind of lucky today. out of the 7 plants there was one that was really small and not growing great, then the hail came and knocked the whole tube over into the water. i fixed the tube and the plant actually continued to grow but still really small. well i just showed sex really early and its a male. if i had to pick any plant to be male it would be that one, so score one for the good guys i guess. heres pics.

[​IMG]