Gardeners Swamp Grow 2009!!

Discussion in 'Outdoor Grow Journals' started by gardener, Apr 16, 2009.

1. That is my understanding of it to. You can use some sort of bag to suspend in water then use the water as fert directly in the soil and/ or some people foliar feed it to. The basic idea is to disolve and suspend the nutrients in the water. You don't have to use a bag you could just strain it off the top of the bucket if you were to put the worm castings in the bottom of the bucket loose. :smoking:

2. That's what is called damping off I believe. It's caused by a fungus in a too-moist environment, as I recall.

3. Gardener,
    I just remembered something you will like, I think. A long time ago in SW Ontario, a buddy from my home town had all his pot dried in bags before mine was even harvested. I had moved about 100 miles away and was growing elsewhere.
    Obviously I asked him how it was done and he said he had grown it in 5 gallon pails in the swamp in the woods behind my mom's house!
    Long story short... Yes the lower roots drowned, but the upper roots had all they needed all the time. I think he used time-released ferts, but I couldn't swear to it. He thought the reflective surface of the water helped.
    I think you're going to do great.

4. hey guys, thanks for the advice about the tea bag, im definitly going to have to look into that.

and thanks for the kind words too cardinal. Im not hoping for the most amazing bud but stories like urs give me alot of hope that i should have a decent yield at the end of the year.

Ill update with great pics before i go on my mini vacation next weekend.

5. Mmmmmm swampy!

6. hey guys its 6/8 so my plants have been out for a little over 5 weeks. heres a few shots from above of the two biggest. they are still really green and getting really thick and tall. they have a good shot at being at least 4 feet tall i think. the past month wasnt even that nice as far as the weather is concerned but with 4 more months these girls could get huge.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. damn what part of MA you from? im 25 min south of boston

8. Plants are lookin fantastic man! No bug damage or anything, nice and green too. I got one thats probably 1/2 the size of the bottom pic. Weather hasn't been that great, last few days were nice but rain coming soon. Here's hoping for some nice sunny June weather :smoke:

9. hey higgy, im a little bit more south than you are. im closer to providence than boston.

and thanks TP that gives me alot of hope. one plant got completely eaten by bugs but none of the rest have been touched. good luck with ur grow, uve had a few set backs but with june finally here i think we are gonna have good weather here on out. even when it rains its at least gonna be alot warmer than in may.

10. Looking nice and healthy Gardener:hello: Do you still have to water from the top or are they using swamp water?:smoking:

11. Hey Gardener,
    How are you getting along?

12. hey guys well im back from my trip. i went down to florida for the weekend..... damn i hate hot humid weather.

I went out to look at my plants and everything is still looking great im pumped. I am however about to lose one of my plants, its getting eaten by bugs. anyone recomend a good spay? i dont want to order anything, just a simple spray that will take care of little bugs from eating my plants.

My biggest plant which is in the lowest but widest tube it getting very tall. id say about 2 feet, it isnt very leafy tho. my second biggest is in a tube that is a bit taller and the plant is about 6 inches shoter but has a bit more leaves. the third and fourth biggest are 5 gallon pots and are doing very well. 5th biggest is the one thats getting eaten by bugs. I already lost one plant to bugs. both plants that have been attacked are on the ourskirts of my site and none of the rest are gettin eaten but i think i should get some spray just in case. plants 6 7 and 8 are doing well but still small. they are in the tallest tubes so i think the lesson is to make the tubes a little shorter. I am givng this big explanation because i am gonna take pics of all the plants tomorrow afternoon.

13. i have the same problem with bugs. the bastards keep eating my fan leaves. i was about to go out and buy that fox farms product but insteat i just read the sticky on organic pestiside by cantharis and made my own spray. applied it today so no signs yet, but cantharis and ganja-guru swear by it so im sure it should work. you should just do that.

14. hey thanks for the advice 70's. after reading that sticky and looking over the internet i think im going to buy some fresh garlic and hot peppers. blend them with water and boil for a few mins then strain the solids.

Im too nervous to use soap just becuase it doesnt seem organic. i think the spicy peppers and smelly garlic should help. thanks again.

15. yeah thats exactly what i did. ganja-gurus exact recipe and cantharis style of boiling for 10 minutes, and than strain the solids out. poured into a spray bottle and applied. im sure it should work. and i think the soap will not harm your plants. they keep the deer away....

16. Looking good Gardener, sorry to here about the bugs :(. Good idea with the deterrent spray hope it works out for you. I used to live in that area and remember bugs good be evil! Ever have any problems with the gypsy moths and larva in the summer? Those were destroyers if I remember right.

Good Luck keep up the good work!

Peace :smoke:

17. Hi Gardener,
    Good to see you're getting on ok still. I think Cantharis' recipe will work for you.
    I'm experimenting with spent coffee grounds from the restaurants right now. I can have tons of them for free, so am trying different shit.
    I have been sprinkling them directly on the plants kinda heavily, then giving them a shake to just leave on a dusting, you know? I want to see if it will repell stuff. We have the usual leaf hopping chewing critters around here, including giant brown grasshoppers occasionally. I think it's helping, but one thing's for sure, it isn't hurting them a bit.
    Keep us posted man, this is cool.
    By the way, do you take your dog out to the swamp with you? I think a dog helps things. I got the notion from OldPork's dog pics. Have a look at my journal man.
    Keep up the good work,
    Cardinal

18. here they are i finally get motivation and took some real pics. here are most of the my plants, i have 9 total so im only showing off the best ones. :smoke::hello:

the first set of pics are of some plants that are between a foot and a foot and a half tall
    [​IMG]

the next set are of my two tallest plants. very healthy! the bottoms of the stems have become almost bark like and very stong, they def have some serious roots that are loving the wet ground.
    [​IMG]

The final set are of my plant that has gotten attacked by bugs, a picture of the grow site, and a pic of one of my biggest leaves.
    [​IMG]

oh and i made some repellent today with really hot peppers and lots of garlic, i could barely even lick it, it was very spicy! i think it should work.

19. Good growth there, gardener. +rep

20. Looking good! Glad to see it.