GanjaJosh's 1rst grow, HELP!

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by ganjajosh88, Jun 1, 2007.

1. Hey guys,

I know I only have a couple of posts, but I have been reading this forum and have been doing business with grasscity for a while now so I am not too new in the community.

I am a prop 215 patient, and have decided to grow my own stash because dispensery prices are crazy, and the street isnt very reliable.

I built this box out of a cabinet purchased from Home Depot. As you can see I have added caulking to all the interior seems, I have also added an intake whole that s screened to help keep pests away with an ocillating fan blowing fresh outside air into the box. On the right side is a 160mA computer fan bowing exhaust air out of the box for good ventillation. I also ran all the cables out of the box to a surge protected power-strip to keep heat down.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v665/andifidie/SNV30221.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v665/andifidie/SNV30222.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v665/andifidie/SNV30223-2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v665/andifidie/SNV30224.jpg

LIGHTING-
    I am using 4 20 watt Fluros, 2 daylight, 2 sunlight @6500k.
    24 hours a day for veggin.

MEDIUM-
    I am using Supersoil potting mix with 2/3 soil 1/3 MG Perlite. And a 10 inch Plastic Pot.

TEMP-
    Box temps range from 74.5-80 degrees F, humdity ranges from 35-45%

STRAIN/TECHNIQUES-
    My plant is a Bubba Kush clone from Earth Collective in Hollywood California. I am using LST, Topping and Fimming. I potted the plant 5 days ago, with the block it came rooted in and everything.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v665/andifidie/SNV30225.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v665/andifidie/SNV30226.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v665/andifidie/SNV30228.jpg

My questions are:
    1: I topped once, and am not sure if I did it right, the main stem has a darkish color inside of it, but therye are a new set of leaves forming even though the stem has not grown much, is this normal?
    2: I am thinking about switching to a Fox Farm soil, which would be a good one? any pre-mixed? I have a Hydro shop by my house so Im sure they will have anything reccomended.
    3: Should I consider more lighting for the space I am using?
    4: does it look like my plant is lacking anything? anything I should add as soon as the 2 week period is up? Or I even need to wait 2 weeks when using a clone?

Thankyou for all of the awesome information that I have already obtained and for the info I have yet to learn!

Now, time for some volcano bags.

-ganjajosh.

2. bump for help/ comments

3. Hello.

ok, i've been through all your photo's, first comment is this is avery small space to be growing in, you will have to put the plant into flowering soon as you don't have alot of height to work with.
    (i've seen grows in smaller spaces so it should be ok, but growing in a wardrobe or closet will yield much much more). You won't get much off this size grow.

Becasue your using CFL's you won't have much problem with heat although i would keep my eye on it.
    Becasue heat rises it's best to put the intake fan near the bottom and the extraction fan closer to the top of the box, but in a box this size i'm sure your moving plenty of air around.

Topping a plant will always stunt it in some way, the stem will stop growing and then produce 2 stems in the form of a 'Y' where you topped it, it looks fine to me but next time make the cut a tiny bit higher.

Whats your house situation, is this a stealth grow, or can you use something a bit bigger, as you said you ware a 215 patient your going to need a bit more than this box can produce.

Saying that, the box isn't useless, it's perfect for striking clones in, that then can be moved to the flowering area.
    get back to me.
    cheers and BIG LOVE !

4. Thankyou for all of your information,
    I am only trying to yeild maybe one or 2 plants at a time. When I remove the shelf the box is about 33 inches high, I think this would be enough to atleast produce an ounce using LST, topping, and fimming. Am I wrong for thinking this?

Also, the plant has only been veggin for like 5 days. When do you think would be a good time to force flower?

Thanks in advance bro.

5. ok , this size you would be lucky to get an ounce out of 2 plants. but give it a go.
    rule of thumb is to put the plant into flowering when it's reached 1/2 the total height your after. Becasue they can nearly double in height by the end of flowering.
    Topping and fimming will help control the height, another option is LSTing. (low Stress Training)
    LSTing would be the most important part of this grow, as it will help control the height. of the plant, I'm guessing the shelf is only there to ajust the height of the light, as it's bolted to the under side of the shelf. You would be better of putting some hooks or '0' rings into the top of the cabinet and suspending the light on a pully system.

6. I understand what you mean, but the shelf is just like the pully system, as the plant goes I will raise the shelf, I already made holes all the way up to the top so I can raise the light as the plant grows, with lsting, fimming and topping, I though I could get a good yeild with over 2 :mad:feet of headroom.

Am I wrong? what should I expect? It seems I have read threads with people with the same size or smaller setups but ended up with atleast an ounce from one single plant.

7. Ok the shelf is fine then. yes you will need to Fimm Lst, and Topp to get a decent yield, i could only see 2 bulbs in the picture??are you using all four bulbs at one time. If you are, you should get a decent yield. I would put into flowering no larger than a foot, maybe a little bit under. GL !

8. Thank you for your fast reply, Yes, I am using all 4 bulbs at ounce, sorry they are not visible in my pictures.

Do you think I should consider repotting into a different or the same size pot with maybe fox farm brand soil 2/3 soil, 1/3 perlite?

Also, What are some good signs for when the plant needs water and howmuch should I use?

When can I start using fertz?

thanks.

Gj

9. ok.
    Not knowing what super soil potting mix is, it sound like it has slow release fert already in it., it should be organic soil with no ferts, the ratio of soil to perlite is about right. I've heard good things about fox farms soil, i don't have it here, but it seems to be good stuff, just don't cheap out on soil. Becasue the cheaper brands can have little nasties in them, glass and shit.
    the size pot your using should be fine as it's only a small space.

Watering should be done whenever needed, stick you finger in the soil and feel down damp or dry it is under the surface, if dry - give it about 200-300mls of distilled water or rain water. Or enough water until you have some run-off out the bottom of the pots.
    Then probably only needs water every 3-4 days at this young age.

Ferts should be used after 2 weeks from seed, to let the plant establish itself. when starting the plant on ferts i use 1/4 of the recommended amount on the bottle or packet. then as the plant matures you can up the dosage as needed, this comes with practice.:smoking:

10. Being the fact that my plant is a clone and it already had about 3 or 4 leafs on it when I got it, would you say its time for fertz already being that I have had it for 5 days already, I have some MG tomoto plant food which is almost a 20.20.20 ratio?

11. yes you can start ferts now, in small dosages. your looking for an NPK rating of high nitrogen roughly 20/10/10 or 20/15/10.

But 20/20/20 is fine for now. it will have to change when you go to flowering. start on a quarter dosage and then you can move to half on the next feeding, then 3/4.......you get the picture.
    Only apply nutes about once a week.

12. Do you think the plant iis to young to have its soilk changed, or can I still get away with it.?

13. Well if you were changing to a bigger pot i would say no problem, but becasue you are going into the same size pot, you have to strip some of the old soil away, You can do it.....but make sure you try to leave as much soil that is around the roots as possible. Roots can get damaged very easily, and it will stunt or possibly kill the plant.

or you could just see how this soil goes, and use the fox farm soil on the next grow.

14. Hey Guys!

Sorry I have not made any updates in the past few days, I have been setting up my new grow closet.

[​IMG]

So, its your average sized closet with 2 sliding mirrored doors.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    There are a total of 8 fans for ventillation,2 for pulling in air, 3 for moving air and cooling the light. and 3 exhaust fans pulling air into the attic, 2 of them up high to the right and left, and one down low to suck in the heated air generated by the ballast.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As you can probably tell, I have taken away the 80 watts worth of fluros I had before and replaced them with a 250 watt HPS/MH conversion, currently runnin gthe MH bulb. This sucker is pretty hot, but, with all the fans I have going I can keep temps between 78-84, so I guess it isn't too bad...

I have read that MH bulbs tend to run significantly hotter the HPS bulbs of the same wattage. Can someone back this? If this is true I should have no temp problems when it comes to flowering.

Below is a picture of my 2 1/2 week old Bubba kush clone (Benjian Bubba Green), I have been using LST'ing, along with fimming and topping, and she is looking pretty good. I have noticed in the last day or so that she is showing some light yellow brow spots, I am guessing this is because it is about time to start using my 20-20-20?

[​IMG]

Here is a pic of 4 seeds I got from a buddy, 2 OG KUSH(Frank and Hank) and 2 GDP(Oscar and Melvin).
    All about a weed old from a germination.

[​IMG]

Here is a pic of the C99xRed(not yet named) Barron clone I got in hollywood the other day, It wasnt in the BEST shape when I got it, but its showing healthy growth and signs of improvement, it is the only plant that is using Fox Farm Ocean Forest soil, the rest are using Supersoil, all of which 2/3 soil, 1/3 perlite.

[​IMG]

The last plant we have here is a MK Ultra(Brave little toaster) clone from hollywood. Its the same age as the Bubba but it has spent its whole life outside. It has suffered some overwatering and cold nights. I put it in the closet with the others about an hour ago to try and save it. Any Suggestions?

[​IMG]

I would like to know the optimal distance I should have my 250 watter at for best yeilds.

Thank you for checking out my growlog, I promise I wll be here more to update it, as I am doing my absolute best to keep this new hobby of mine going :) Any suggestions, or help would be greatly appreciated.

15. the 250W is a better idea. I keep my 400W at about 50cm from the top of the canopy, i've attached the chart we go by.
    Is that a Volcano box is see.... jealous !!!!:cool:

My first suggestion is to try to get everything electrical up high. I see the ballast for the light is underneath, it's ok but i wouldn't want to spill any water....:eek:

Don't know if the HPS run hotter or cooler, but I imagine they would be about the same.

And it would be best now to start a grow journal in the "grow journals section"

Attached Files:

16. thanks for the info/reply. Is there any way I can move this thread to the Grow Journal forum?

17. bump for some help

18. So, I just got word that I am deff going to Europe towards the end of the summer to go backpacking with a couple buddies. (hello amsterdam)

I than realized that I wanted to have my first harvest before I went, so I decided to flower my Bubba Kush, and c99x red barron clones. They are going to remain in darkness until they go on 12/12 tomorrow at 8a.m.

As for the 4 sprouts and the MK ultra clone, they are in my previous growbox under 24/0 light as I am writing this. They are going to veg till the end of the summer when I get back and I will than flower them.

Being that the clones I picked to flower are only a few weeks old, they have never had any fertz or anything besides water used on them. They both are showing signs of what looks like N defficiancy or But they do have some spots that look like nute burn, but it may be just from the light. Anyways, is it reccomended that I use any veg fertz for the first couple weeks of flowering being that I have used none yet? Or should I just go straight for the Flowering Fertz. Either way, can someone please suggest some to me. I have a hydro store by my house. But, if there is anything cheap and common with good results I can use, please let me know.:)

I will update with new pics and info tonight as to the progess of the plants.

And if any mods can move this thread to GrowJournals that would be great, as to I don't know how, and probabably don't even have the capibility of doing so..

thanks for comming by,

GJ

19. June 18th, 2007.

DAY 04 12/12

Hey everyone, so here is a little update. I moved the floweing location into my bathroom shower. There are two other showers in the house I can use so it is not much of an inconveiniance.

I figured the shower/bathroom would be an awesome grow space for several resons, such as...

-space
    -already equipped with exhaust fan
    -air conditioning vent bringing cool air into the room
    -tile flooring to keep things cool
    -lightproof
    -spillproof

Here are some pics of the finished product.

[​IMG]

As you can see I have rigged up my own cooling system for the light using computerfans that were previously used for exhaust.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are some updated pics of my Bubba Kush clone, as you can see I have been topping and fimming the shit out of her, and I have also been using diers theory of removing pointless leaves in order to give light to new growth, its been working great.

I also used a very diluted (about 1/3 strength) watering with some MG tomato food, a drop of superthrive, and a pinch of epsom salt. She is respoding pretty good from the roughly 6-10oz out of the mixture I gave her. I have also been using it every couple days as a light foliar mister, working good so far also. Any comments or suggestions would be great!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As for the other clone (c99xRed Barron) It had been sitting at the dispensery I got it from for a while, it was already about 8inches in length, and already showing some signs of prefloweing, so I decided to throw it in there too, check it out!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As for the 4 seedlings and the MK Ultra clone, I put them in my first veg box so they can grow while the others are flowering, the sprouts are growing at a fairly consistant rate. But I am really excited because the clone is making an AWESOME comback. Check it outtt.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can see by howmany times I have changed setups, I am very determined and am really giving this grow, my very best shot, so stay tuned its gonna be great.

Now all I gotta do is kickback, relax, and wait for the girls to grow....Oh, yeah... am maybe smoke some of this dank jupiter.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for stopping by:)

20. bump for some comments and opiions.:)