Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Ganja and blood pressure

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by GGrass, Apr 19, 2010.

1. How does smoking ganja effect blood pressure?

Does the blood pressure increase or decrease?

Thanks in advance...

(I have high BP and smoke almost everyday.)

2. Not sure of direct relation but something tells me...

munchies=junk food=high bp.

lol

3. welllll.. I heard that it makes your blood vessels decrease in diameter therefore increasing the pressure???

4. Thanks a ton!

I read both of your links and they were great!!

I always knew that ganja was helping me.

I actually have blood pressure measuring device. I'm gonna experiment on myself to see if my BP really decreases with the smoking of ganja. I'd be fun.

5. Doesn't affect mine at all. I've went to doc sober and completely stoned and no difference. Walking vs driving made a pulserate difference though.

6. I took my blood pressure for a little while before and after smoking and all I noticed during that time was increased heart rate at times but I never noticed the BP shooting up.

This is just personal experience that I can recall right now.

7. It lowers bp. The reason why you get the classic bloodshot eyes also plays into this. Ocular pressure is decreased and the capillaries expand, thus creating the redness.

Only temporary though.

8. It totally lowers it. I know I've heard a lot that it's a vasodilator.

Also, most of the time when I get really blazed my hands get cold and pale looking, like they have very little blood flowing in them. Pretty sure low blood pressure might cause that but I dunno lol.

9. ive heard it raises it just like smoking cigarettes do.

10. Everyone is right! There appears to be a transitory (brief) rise in BP, then it drops. The brief rise could be due to combustion products over-powering the BP lowering chemicals in the cannabis and then losing to them when the toking ends. It would be interesting to compare BPs on tokers vs vapers!

Been BUSY on the list- here's your preview of July 2010's list! Over at another site, I have "drafted" volunteers to check each and every study to make sure all is beautiful and accurate. Thank you to "FlowerMeds" who checked this section for me!

BLOOD PRESSURE (Checked by FlowerMeds 4/3/10)

Reduction by Δ9-tetrahydrocannabinol in the blood pressure of hypertensive rats bearing regenerated adrenal glands (full - 1973)
    Reduttion by

Effect of marihuana on intraocular and blood pressure in glaucoma (full - 1980)
    Effect of marihuana on intraocular and blood pressure in glaucoma

Glaucoma, hypertension, and marijuana. (full - 1982)
    Glaucoma, hypertension, and marijuana.

Body's 'cannabis' could hold blood pressure key (news - 1998)
    UKCIA

Cardiovascular Effects of Cannabis (news- 2003?)
    Cardiovascular Effects of Cannabis

Endocannabinoids Acting at Cannabinoid-1 Receptors Regulate Cardiovascular Function in Hypertension (full - 2004)
    Endocannabinoids Acting at Cannabinoid-1 Receptors Regulate Cardiovascular Function in Hypertension

Blood pressure regulation by endocannabinoids and their receptors
    (full - 2005)
    Blood pressure regulation by endocannabinoids and their receptors

Cardiovascular Pharmacology of Cannabinoids (full - 2005)
    Cardiovascular Pharmacology of Cannabinoids

Lowering of Blood Pressure Through Use of Hashish (news - 2006)
    Lowering of Blood Pressure Through Use of Hashish: The Hempire - [cannabis, hemp]

Lowering Of Blood Pressure Achieved Through Use Of Hashish-Like Drug
    (news - 2006)
    Lowering Of Blood Pressure Achieved Through Use Of Hashish-like Drug

Cardiovascular effects of cannabinoids in conscious spontaneously hypertensive rats (full - 2007)
    Cardiovascular effects of cannabinoids in conscious spontaneously hypertensive rats

Acute hypertension reveals depressor and vasodilator effects of cannabinoids in conscious rats (full - 2008)
    Acute hypertension reveals depressor and vasodilator effects of cannabinoids in conscious rats

Modulation of the Endocannabinoid System in Cardiovascular Disease
    (full - 2008)
    Modulation of the Endocannabinoid System in Cardiovascular Disease

Endocannabinoids, blood pressure and the human heart. (full - 2008).
    http://science.iowamedicalmarijuana...noids, blood pressure and the human heart.pdf

Have fun reading!

Granny :wave: