Gaming For a Greater Good

Discussion in 'Gamer's Heartbeat' started by DrazyHaze, Aug 14, 2013.

1. I had an idea to start an organization where gamers stream themselves gaming and take donations and all the revenue goes to a legit honest charity. Tournaments could be organized and have open donations and all the money goes to charity.

I think it would be a great way to get more people interested in gaming and Esports as a whole. Gaming is my passion and i would love to be able to do it and improve the lives of other fellow human beings while doing it.

What do you guys think? Any tips or advice?

2. #2 llllllllll, Aug 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2013
    I'm sure you've heard of it, but if you haven't... for the past however many years Speed Demos Archive has been hosting a gaming marathon which lasts 5+ days, one in summer and one in winter. Last winter they raised something like 450k, all in donations, for doctors without boarders' charity.  They just actually finished summer games done quick a week ago, or so and raised around 200k I want to say.  
    Their stream of the event typically hovers around 20-30k(and upwards of 40-50k depending on the game and player), 24/7, for an entire week.  They give out prizes from raffle drawings based on like 10-20 dollar minimum donations, per game.

Idk what games you all play, but they are currently in the process of setting up their games list for the Winter AGDQ, and afaik they are always looking for new games for players to speedrun, if you speedrun a game that is.  Some take 4 hours, some take 10 minutes.  I think the next meet-up is set to take place in colorodo  :bongin:

On to your idea...
    the only tips I have would be
    ensure you know how to operate a stream, well,
    ensure you know how to run a tournament well,
    have all of your ends tied up before the event (in terms of charity, computer is in good standing and ready to stream, blah blah blah)

Twitch has plenty of streams and players, obviously, so finding people to participate would be the least of your problems.  I like the sound of this idea, though.
    Edit: ^^^ getting said streamers to fork over their revenue for charity, may be another question, unfortunately.

3. I have never heard of that so thank you for sharing that info i do appreviate it

4. Sounds like an awesome idea! :hello: