Gameplay vs Graphics

Discussion in 'Gamer's Heartbeat' started by Reflection Eternal, Oct 30, 2016.

1. Alright blades. This isn't even a debate for me. While I'd like to have both, I will always enjoy a game that is more balanced and fun to play than one that looks pretty but plays poorly. What are some examples of games you like that aren't so easy on the eyes? Or are you on the other side of the argument? If it seems like a genuine split I'll add a poll.

My number one example is Soldier of Fortune II: Double Helix. Hands down the best FPS I've ever played when it comes to mechanics, balance, gunfights, and map design. The playing field is completely even because everyone chooses from the same weapons, therefore you aren't pitted against people who have "leveled up" their gear. The learning curve is only limited by you learning what sensitivity works best and how to pulse your shots. You have the ability to duck, jump, "boost" jump, and even lean left and right which makes for tons of possibilities when it comes to strategy. Recoil is very predictable and there is only hip firing, no aiming down the sights except with sniping, so it's very suitable for aggressive gameplay which helps cut down on people camping. I could go on, but you get the picture. I'll link a download in case anyone wants to check it out, but these days European servers are the only ones still up and people really only play in the morning/early afternoon EST. To clarify, the demo is what most people played, the full game was a little different and most liked the feel of the demo (which they later modded all the maps into anyway).

Also, this is kind of relevant, but has anyone checked out Enter the Gungeon? It's a fantastic game I'm kinda hooked on right now.

2. Nice description. I still enjoy older games who's graphics are shitty now but were good for their time, but i dont think thats quite the same thing you are talking about. I used to love Runescape back in the day, even opting out of the newer 3d versions like most people because the shitty looking old school was just way better haha. Cheers to the screen name mate. Listening to some Nujabes as we speak.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Gameplay over graphics for sure. I LOVE dishonored and the mass effect series and there graphics weren't great, not terrible but just not great, but I loved them anyways.

GTAV is all around though. Good gameplay and great graphics.

4. Quake1, Quake2. So many mods and player created content it was mind blowing even though it looked a bit on the blocky side....

5. its all about gameplay too me. Graphics are a gimmick. I have friends though that drank the coolaide and graphics are all they care about. I always make jabs at them and say "why don't you just watch a movie then'?

6. Heck, the original Elder Scrolls, Half Life, Fallout and so many more - I'd rather play those due to better gameplay then, let's say Crysis..

Gameplay before graphics all day long - but it is nice when the two can be combined .

• Like Like x 1
  7. Shhiittt. I still play the original command and conquer's. Miss the good old days of rts gaming.

Sent from my XT1585 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  8. Gameplay hands down. I'll admit I can be a bit of a graphics whore at times but good gameplay is simply a requirement and graphics the icing of the cake. Morrowind is damn ugly at least since I played Skyrim but arguably a better game than Skyrim. Modded Skyrim is just so beautiful though it's hard for me to go back. I have the same issue with Fallout: NV and Fallout 4. NV is the better game but the gameplay is similar enough that I take the better graphics. Almost everything else I play are indie games that aren't top of the line graphics-wise but super fun.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Gameplay is way better. Having low-end graphics even makes the modding, and mapping, even more easy, and fun. I still love all the oldschool Mario and Sonic games... just because the gameplay is absolutely great. Nowadays I kinda just like playing FIFA, but that's whatever.

10. to me gameplay and story are the most important elements of a game. graphics are important too but it doesn't have to be cutting edge.

• Like Like x 1