Galaxy has 'billions of Earths'

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by Deutschbag, Feb 15, 2009.

1. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7891132.stm

2. :eek::eek::eek:

Its amazing to think about what else is out there.

3. That is crazy! Possibly thousands of other intelligent civilizations. With the size of the universe, and the fact that we, an intelligent species, exist, it is nearly impossible that no other intelligent lifeforms exist. And this report just refers to this galaxy! Listen to these facts:

A typical spiral galaxy, NGC 4414, is 17,000 parsecs in length. A parsec is 19 trillion miles. So that means NGC 4414 is 323,000 trillion miles long. And there are approximately 100 billion galaxies in the universe, each comprising of between 10 million and 1 trillion stars. With statistics like that, I would bet my life that there are thousands of other intelligent civilizations. Crazy!

4. This is crazy to think about, especially with the fact that this is just in our basically normal, not so special little galaxy. :eek:

5. But we have not the slightest hint that there are any.
    I take part in the SETI experiment, would love for MY computer to be the one that detects extraterrestrial intelligent life - but am not overly hopeful.

6. geez i really doubt our galaxy has that many earths, i mean we know we have approximately 100 billion stars in the milky way alone...n the odds of another earth are like 1 million or 1 billion to one....

Odds are that there is between 100'000 and 100 other earths thats my guess...but then again im not a professional physicist. my guess is approximately 1337 earths...that would be cool :p

7. That is one really fucked up thing to think about. I hope we find out in my life time!

8. The rate technology is going, don't be surprised of what we find in 10 years.

9. I'm wondering if there is life that isn't organic.

10. Yeah, we learned in astronomy that some people once did an extensive probability equation of other life, though I cannot remember if it was in the galaxy, nearby galaxies, or the entire universe, and the odds were that there was like an 800% chance of other intelligent life somewhere, but the odds of us EVER coming into contact with one of them was like 1/(1x10^80) or something, so basically zero.

11. I would just LOVE to meet a little green man. But I just don´t think there are any out there.