Galaxy 600w Select-A-Watt ballast bulb confusion...

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by StankDankMT, Feb 16, 2014.

1. #1 StankDankMT, Feb 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2014
    Got a new 600w Galaxy Select-A-Watt ballast today after the 600w Quantum Adjustable ballast melted the light bulb, and died
    http://forum.grasscity.com/indoor-medical-marijuana-growing/1283003-how-tell-if-ballast-bad-urgent.html
    I was thinking that I could run a 600w HPS Eye Hortilux bulb on the 600w setting and dial it down to 400w when I wanted to. I also thought I could use a 600w MH Hortilux bulb in it too but the writing on the package is very confusing and wonder if anyone knows if I can dial the 600w HPS bulb down and run a 600w MH. The wording on the box is as follows:

This Galaxy Select-A-Watt ballast can operate a 600 watt lamp at 400 watts & turbo charge.
    This ballast will properly drive a 400 Watt HPS / MH & 600 Watt HPS lamps. Set the desired wattage on the Select-A-Watt dial and install the correct lamp.

Specifications:
    +Extremely efficient - 99.9%
    +Operates 400 watt HPS / MH and 600 HPS lamps
    +Soft Starting
    +blah blah blah

A 600 Watt can be dimmed down to 400 watts.
    Do not operate a 400 watt lamp with the switch in the 600 watt or turbo charge position. The turbo charge setting is designed for 600 watt lamps only.

So if I am reading this right I can dim a 600 watt HPS down to 400 watts, but cant use a 600 watt MH, only a 400 watt MH? Am I reading this right?!
    Also anyone have any feedback on the Hortilux Blue series of their lamps? They worth the extra money? You still use a HPS lamp in flower and the Hortilux Blue for veg to keep them bushy, correct?

2. It should run all 4 variations of bulbs...

What do you think about the part where it says

"+Operates 400 watt HPS / MH and 600 HPS lamps" and
    "This ballast will properly drive a 400 Watt HPS / MH & 600 Watt HPS lamps."

Thats the parts throwing me off shouldnt it say "+Operates 600 watt HPS / MH" It seems specific in stating its only 600w HPS lamps and 400 watt MH bulb?

4. #4 snoopdog6502, Feb 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2014
    Could be a translation error in the wording when they went from Chinese to English , you see it a lot on anything slightly technical. Us nerds call it Chinglish.

There is little in the guts in a ballast the swaps it from MH to HPS , it just needs and igniter and a capacitor in the circuitry to fire off a HPS.

I bet i runs a 600w MH just fine.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Thanks for your reply sir, I can see that being very well a possibility, I will just end up calling the manufacturer before I buy the 600w MH, or even think about firing it up. What your saying is that it takes default components to fire a MH but more components to fire a HPS, so there's no reason the components to fire a 600w MH are not there?

6. Sorry going to give this the old bump, anyone got any idea on the first post, or anyone own this ballast?