Gaining on a budget?

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by bri_23, Jan 10, 2014.

1. So ill try to keep things short. I'm a female and would like to put on weight mainly in my lower half for i was blessed with an athletic torso and chicken legs (sorta).Anyway, im a complete newbie to this thing but after some research it looks like i need to clean up my diet, weight train, and have a caloric excess.. Ive been to the gym several times and i love lifting but im concerned about the diet part...mainly the cost of it. So protein is pretty expensive, huh? I'd love to learn how you guys and gals go about balancing what you need for your goals and budgets. Im in college and have some funds but not a lot so I'd like to know if this in reach for me at this point in my life.

2. #2 smokerings, Jan 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2014
    Protein powder.  It might cost you around $100 (if you buy it in bulk) but it will last months if you drink a couple of shakes a day.  Definitely cheaper than steak or chicken.  I mix one in with my morning oatmeal. and down one post workout.

As for other cheaper sources of protein:  Eggs, tuna, tilapia (lots of different fish is rather cheap), even lean ground beef.

Figure out around how much protein you should be consuming based on your body weight, then figure out your fat intake (which is also very important) and fill in the rest with carbs.

Since you said you were a beginner, it will take time for you to figure out exactly how much energy your body uses, so just pay attention to how your body responds to how much you're eating.  You can, and should, try a few different things as every body is different.

Edit:  I remember being in the same exact boat at one time.  There I was walking up to the cashier at the grocery store with 7 cartons of eggs and 20-30 cans/packages of tuna or other fish, getting strange looks.  But, it worked like a charm.  As long as you're determined enough, your budget won't stop you.

3. Sorry i had kinda the same question, Should i do the protein shakes and eat too...Cause i mean, i can eat alot if im working out. I looking for more simple, granted i like cooking, i just hate the cleaning...so like microwave and fridge stuff. Im thinking like chicken cesar salads and stuff...I acknowledge wheat is better, but is there a gluten free bread thats decent as an alterative...What about canned soups?

Protein shakes are best early in the morning and right after a workout because your body is drained and starving and will process foods much quicker.  They are not a meal though.  You should definitely get most of your nutrition from whole foods.  As soon as I'm finished with a workout, I'll drink a shake, and then about half an hour later I'll have my post-workout meal.  The shake really is optional.  The only reason I take them is because they're cheaper than any food and digest much much quicker.  Although I don't mind cooking, I usually do it in bulk on the weekends and keep it in the fridge for the week.

Just to touch on your question about protein shakes and eating too.  You should 100% focus a lot more on eating whole foods than protein shakes.  They're good and all, but not in the least necessary.

• Like Like x 1
    i have not found a good way to eat well on a budget so far

high quality food will cost more, and nothing will change that. 

you either pay for it or sacrifice something else. imo nothing is as important as health.

6. What you need to do is get loyalty cards for your local grocery stores and shop the sales.  When chicken breasts are on sale at like half price, your ass has gotta stock the fuck up and eat lots of chicken breasts that week.

If one thing is not on sale, another is.  Check the ads.  The stores near me have a killer deal on at least one or two proteins each week.

One week it'll be pork loins.  I'll buy one, slice it up and have pork chops for a while.  Next week maybe cottage cheese will be two for the price of one next week.  It is great to mix things with, like granola, nuts, sunflower seeds, diced onions, or dried fruits.   Perhaps they run a deal on ground round the week after that? Hamburgers, meatloaf and chili go on the menu. 

Go in the store with ten dollars, buy what's on sale and you can have all the protein you need for a week.

7. [quote name="bri_23" post="19312614" timestamp="1389325745"]So ill try to keep things short. I'm a female and would like to put on weight mainly in my lower half for i was blessed with an athletic torso and chicken legs (sorta).Anyway, im a complete newbie to this thing but after some research it looks like i need to clean up my diet, weight train, and have a caloric excess.. Ive been to the gym several times and i love lifting but im concerned about the diet part...mainly the cost of it. So protein is pretty expensive, huh? I'd love to learn how you guys and gals go about balancing what you need for your goals and budgets. Im in college and have some funds but not a lot so I'd like to know if this in reach for me at this point in my life.[/quote]Im a big guy with chicken legs as well. I tried everything to get them bigger but nothing worked they just ended up getting smaller and more defined, so now im trying to make my upper body smaller and more cut. As for protein on a budget try to buy foods that are loaded with protein like boned chicken breast and cottage cheese, greek yogurt. Grab all local groceries store fliers and if your willing to make a few trips buy groceries that are on sale and take the money you saved and put it in a bank account or you can buy weed. I personally dont use protein powder because I think they are useless and a waste of money even though I know the 2 billion dollar industry will tell me otherwise.Sent from my SGH-I337M using Grasscity Forum mobile app

8. #8 yurigadaisukida, Jan 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2014
    Eggs have about 5g of protien and about 60g of protien in a dozen.Sent from my LG-E739 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

9. #9 jayfoxpox, Jan 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2014
    If you can get whole chickens or turkeys they're significantly cheaper than cuts. You can either cut them up your self  then freeze them, which I recommend watching how martin yan destroys the chicken to save time. Or you can roast them package the leftovers and freeze it and add them to some curry or pasta.

Smoked ham after holidays are also very cheap. they can get as cheap as 1$/lb. then you can cut them into cubes or however you want and freeze them and add to w/e dish you can think of.

10. [quote name="jayfoxpox" post="19352937" timestamp="1389901639"]If you can get whole chickens or turkeys they're significantly cheaper than cuts. You can either cut them up your self then freeze them, which I recommend watching how martin yan destroys the chicken to save time. Or you can roast them package the leftovers and freeze it and add them to some curry or pasta.Smoked ham after holidays are also very cheap. they can get as cheap as 1$/lb. then you can cut them into cubes or however you want and freeze them and add to w/e dish you can think of.[/quote]id like to interject here.No one serious about health should ever eat pasta. Even whole grainSent from my LG-E739 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  11. Well pasta is inexpensive and a convenient source of carbs. As long as the overall diet hits the target in terms of calories, macros and micros anything should be alright.

12. [quote name="jayfoxpox" post="19353162" timestamp="1389904906"]Well pasta is inexpensive and a convenient source of carbs. As long as the overall diet hits the target in terms of calories, macros and micros anything should be alright.[/quote]Its a good survival food because of those attributes but if you can afford it fruit is a better choiceSent from my LG-E739 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

13. #13 Airf0nz0, Jan 16, 2014
    People always say chicken breast but thighs are cheaper and taste better.

*edit
    And since protein powder and eggs have already been said I'll just mention peanut butter.

• Like Like x 1
  14. drink a tall glass of milk with every meal you have and I guarantee you will gain weight 

15. #15 fruitality, Jan 16, 2014
    a great source of cheap protein are animals' organs

hearts, kidneys, livers, brains are the most nutritious meats and simultaneously cheap as hell

try getting those things whole or some liverwurst or blood sausage is also amazing

16. Mmm mmm chicken gizzards.  Really not bad if you can get past that gamy taste.

17. We're so good at scaring off the OP.

18. [quote name="Trogdor" post="19353980" timestamp="1389915139"]We're so good at scaring off the OP.[/quote]Well. Nature already provides pure protein sources. There arent really shrotcuts.Eat meatSent from my LG-E739 using Grasscity Forum mobile app