gaining muscle with a labor intensive job

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by kUshl0rd, Sep 21, 2011.

1. so i go to the gym about 4 times a week, but i work monday through friday 8-4 doing pretty physical stuff like clearing brush for fire control,and working with alot of hand tools. the work i do is more cardio as opposed to lifting weights although you do lift mid heavy things, My question is, will doing this much cardio stuff decrease my muscle gains? cause i wanted to do 2-3 miles runs 2 days a week but i feel that with the work might be to much cardio even though i work is more slow paced cardio as oppsed to running.

haha sorry im high, what do you guys think?

2. Just eat more to conpensate for the calories you burn working. Also i would consider a Pre workout supplement for energy as your job is physically taxing.

Outside of that your good to go.

3. cool thanks! anyone else have any experiences?

4. I'm a carpenter so yeah I do get a lot of exercise at work. I think the muscle you build from everday work as opposed to just liftin is much better for us.

5. two summers ago I worked at Fedex loading trucks full of boxes....its four hours of straight picking up boxes scanning them, then loading the semi's full to the ceiling with rows of packages....

oh and they expect you to do 300 packages an hour... I averaged about 315.. maybe a little more on my good days

I put on 15 pounds of muscle that summer.. no joke

but I had just started lifting very heavy 5 to 6 days a week and eating 175-225 grams of protien a day

6. I'd advise making those runs into HIIT sessions since you're getting some solid NEPA cardio from your job. Your job should take care of your aerobic endurance pretty well, while the HIIT will augment your anaerobic endurance as well as increase glycogen storage/ nutrient partitioning efficiency.

Like the other posters said, so long as your caloric intake and protein intake are adequate, you should be fine. I gained 10-15 pounds of mass this summer while biking 10 miles daily and playing rugby 3 days a week. That's not including cardio workouts and pick-up sports.

7. [quote name='"Russia"']I'd advise making those runs into HIIT sessions since you're getting some solid NEPA cardio from your job. Your job should take care of your aerobic endurance pretty well, while the HIIT will augment your anaerobic endurance as well as increase glycogen storage/ nutrient partitioning efficiency.

Like the other posters said, so long as your caloric intake and protein intake are adequate, you should be fine. I gained 10-15 pounds of mass this summer while biking 10 miles daily and playing rugby 3 days a week. That's not including cardio workouts and pick-up sports.[/quote]

As always Thank you Russia

8. true that i work for a furniture company trucks full of double recliner sofas all day. im way stronger than my friend who works out all the time

9. As long as you keep you're caloric intake even with what you're burning, your muscles should be fine. It's when you're doing cardio with no calories to burn where muscle starts being used for energy