gah help hermies!

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by robby.toney, Aug 7, 2007.

1. sup grasscity? tell me how weird this is. last night i dreampt my closet of females was invaded by a dude and upon checking the ladies this morning, two of them had sprouted a ball next to their pistals! obviously this sucks, but it remains to be seen just how bad..i know i can isolate them and let them finish out flowering as they are into their third week already, but i was wondering if it were at all possible to like manually remove the pollen sacks and keep them in the main flowering chamber..please help!

2. I have never heard of anyone doing this

But besides the fact that you would probably spread the pollen in the process of cutting the pollen sacks off...i dont see why it wouldnt work

this interests me so ill be checking in, expirment (sp) with it only way to find out

good luck

-- the bubonic plague

3. i figured there was nothing to lose so for now i cut off the unopened pollen sacks i found, which were only one on one plant and three on another..i guess i just have to wait and see if there are more pollen sacks to trim, or if it will go back to a female if thats possible. i made sure to hack off each sack and its corresponding red pistil, as opposed to all the other white pistils to be thorough.

4. today i only found a few more pollen sacks had grown and got rid of them quickly, as well as sealed up a light leak i must have missed in my closet. think its possible the light leak was responsible for the two hermied plants? im hoping with this fixed that no new balls will appear. for now..:smoking:

5. that is almost certainly why you got hermies

lol

:smoking:

6. i dont really see a problem wit having hermies as you'll be sure of fem seeds... im growing a hermie on purpose :p

7. Light leaks are one of the most common causes of hermies in my experience. Also, if you're going to try to stay on top of the pollen, you should prob be in the twice a day looking real hard to get them all, all it takes is one ball to pollinate every lady in the place ;)
    You might consider ridding yourself of them, but thats up to you.

8. i was under the impression that hermied plants produce seeds that will more than likely carry on the hermied trait? i think the way feminized seeds works is pollinating a female with a hermie to get a more likely female ratio of seeds..not exactly sure

yeaa i made a stupid mistake with that tinyyyy little light leak..oh well its fixed now:)..and certainly, ive been checking more than a few times daily as i dont do much more than hang out with my plants. i separated the two hermies from the rest of the garden so pollination of my girls isnt a worry. and believe me, id love to be able to just toss em but these two hermies cut my number of girls almost in half, so i really want to try hard to keep them de-balled..

9. thats how fem seeds are "made", by hermi plants (self-pollenation). & from my experence, when u cut the balls off even more grow back. another way to keep contamination down is water, water destroys pollen, so maybe mist w/ water

10. water, eh? ill give it a shot. thanks!

11. water is if you're already too late, and the pod has opened, all it does is give you a chance at salvaging them. Your best bet is to keep them trimmed off until the end. Water is a band-aid, but should not be seen as an end all solution, considering the pollen has to be released for it to be susceptible. Also remember in a house with vents/air circulation pollen can travel. It can travel on clothes and pets too.

12. yes your right, but if he mists the hermi plant w/ water, if any remaining polen sacks open, the pollen will stick to the water, & will be less likly to be air born. just my 2 cents

13. agreed, not saying he shouldn't do it, just that he should not forgo his other security methods