future of our food. genetic engineering

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by calidreamz, Mar 31, 2011.

1. #1 calidreamz, Mar 31, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2011
    The Future of Food - Trailer

very informative video of genetically changed food and their impact on us. Check it out :D

edit- full documentary

2. Didn't watch, LOL.

Who cares about genetic engineering?

3. obviously not you....

4. didnt watch
    there are also A LOT of dangers that come with genetically engineered food

5. you really have no idea what your talking about. There is very little to no difference between genetically engineering food in a laboratory or traditional breeding out in a field. Most of the foods that you eat today have been being bred so that favorable genes are kept and unfavorable aren't since the agricultural revolution. Did you know the bananas you eat are not able to breed on their own in the wild? Shit engineering crops is the same principle as breeding dogs, or crossing flowers to get a desired color. Even you are a product of nature's selective genetic engineering through the process of natural selection.

im guessing your saying this because like most people i've talked to on the subject, they are afraid of things they can't understand

• Like Like x 2
  6. Lol at the people saying food enhanced genetically is bad. That's totally false. Plus the food we eat is pumped with hormones and additives, so what difference would there be?

7. its all evolution really, at play here. were going to be evolving into genetically engineered food, our bodys have to get used to it. its def gonna be a bit different than the real thing.
    weather its good or bad, who really fucking knows yet?
    either way?
    im not down with it.
    unless i have to be at least..

8. What? We're not talking about like robots here.

9. just google dangers of genetically engineering food
    i learned dis shit in school
    i do understand

10. What strain of bananas is that? Bananas grow and produce all over the island. Many different types. Is it a certain variety?

11. keep in mind genetic engineered wheat is responsible for keeping literally millions of people from starving to death in poor countries. Ya i don't wanna eat it either but what i wan't is truth i labeling so i can avoid it, not demonizing

12. Genetic engineering has it's pros and cons. It has some side effects that aren't to great, like chickens with breasts so big they can't even walk so they just lie in their own feces. Buuut if we have corn genetically engineered to grow the size of your head and in any climate or soil then we can do things like feed the world for next to nothing.

13. the kind that people eat..[​IMG]

I did and I found countless articles of people making claims without any research to back those claims up.

14. well idk i just remember some shit like
    some food that was gn and people were dying bcuz of an allergic reaction
    and we could accidentally make a plant or weed that immune to weed killers ect and it would exponentially grow taking over and we wouldnt be able to stop it

15. aannnd how did you conclude robots from that paragraph??

16. ? If your allergic to a food your going to be allergic to it whether its genetically engineered or not...

and yeah the weed being immune to weed killer problem could happen, I dont see how that would harm anyone though..the worst I see that doing is being really annoying in eliminating as you'd have to pull out each weed instead of just spraying them

17. I honestly just think people need to stay away from corn, soy, canola, etc. These things are in just about everything we eat and in large quantities they are bad for you, GMO or not.

GMOs have benefits and drawbacks. Weed resistance and bug resistance are not bad things, they produce higher yields which means more money for farmers and cheaper food for you. Hormone additives probably aren't very good for you, we are barely starting to figure out how our body works with endogenous hormones, let alone foreign ones. Look at how many recalls there have been for birth control medications... (and estrogen has been a big deal apparently with these GM foods)

I'm not sure about the validity of this, but I've read that GMOs are created by utilizing viruses to inject the DNA (which makes sense). If these viruses are still present in the organisms we eat that could be kind of fucky. I would imagine they are only used to create an organism which can reproduce the desired changes naturally, although I could be wrong.

Aside from that, the real drawback of GM food is that Monsanto is an evil corporation. Monsanto owns a lot of the GM rights and will screw farmers into growing them and collect money from these people. Say you own a farm next to someone who grows GM food from Monsanto. That farm needs to buy the seeds and special chemicals (fertilizers and pesticides) from Monsanto themselves. These seeds, over the course of a couple of seasons, naturally migrate to his neighbors fields. Monsanto will then test the crop of this neighbors farm, conclude that it is growing Monsanto's GMO, and force this neighboring farm to 1) pay for the right to use its GMO and 2) make it buy the special fertilizers and pesticides. These GMOs are wiping out the only source of non-genetically modified foods by force of law. I don't care if it is healthy or not and I'm not going to pretend I can justify if they are or aren't, I'm not a scientist; however, if people want non-GM food and are willing to pay for it they should be able to get it and that opportunity is dwindling fast.

FYI: The former head executive of Monsanto is the current head of the FDA.

Just to make sure that no one here actually trusts the FDA and their findings on GMOs to be relevant at all. We all need to know that the FDA and Monsanto are walking through these fields of GMOs with their hands in each others pockets.

18. These that grow wild here are the kind that people eat. I am seriously trying to understand why they grow on the sides of the road and in peoples yard for food and if these are engineered/altered to produce prior to having been brought here?

19. That could happen naturally too....

He seemed to think that meat from genetically engineered animals is like artificial or something.... It's the same stuff. It's animal tissue. Flesh and blood.

20. i cant understand what your trying to say or ask