funny story (in retrospect) from a party about a year ago

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by e_to_the_x, Jul 7, 2009.

1. #1 e_to_the_x, Jul 7, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2009
    I just read someones story about them getting a phone call that their grandparent died (Sorry about that bro, I feel ya: all but one of my grandparentes have died and I remember every single one) and reminds me of a similar story.

So rewind to about a year ago. I was 18 and it was grad party season; life was good. Free food, seeing all those kids you knew from high school for the last time, and ending the night drunk/high/both for all June and July is a lot of fun, I miss those days, but alas I am in college and can do that whenever I want. Anyways....

So the particular day had a few grad parties, but none of them were very special. I dropped by for an hour, said hello, ate my share of food, and left. But that night my friend Larry, who I knew pretty well, also had his grad party so I knew thats where I would be ending up at. It's a funny story because me and Larry were friends starting in 8th grade, but then we both tried smoking pot together and I got caught, and it was at his house so my parents got mad at his, there was a whole fiasco, we almost fought each other, but then we just looked back on it one day and said "Man that's some stupid bullshit and it's all our parents faults, lets be cool". But anyways that's off topic, and I digress...

So back to larrys grad party. I got there around 6pm-ish, and all our friends started to arrive. Larrys parents are pretty cool so they let us drink as long as we weren't stupid about it (drunk driving, walking around with beers in hand, etc) which is very reasonable IMO. Anyways I love drinking, so I slammed a couple of beers, ate some delicious food that his dad made, and chatted. A bonfire got started and everything was fine and dandy.

Fast forward to about 11;00pm. I get a phone call from my mom, and I'm pretty drunk and don't feel like talking to her at this point (she didn't care that I was drunk, I just didn't feel like talking to her lol) so I dont pick up. A few minutes later I see that she leaves a voicemail. I go to listent ot he voicemail and she tells me something to the extent of "your grandpa is in the hospital sick and you need to come home".

Now normally I'm not one to cry or anything. I tend to do a good job reserving my emotions in public, but at this point I was piss drunk and we all know how that can amplify peoples emotions. So, as you've probably guessed, I made an ass of myself (at least that's what I feel like) and started crying and bawling in the middle of his grad party because I thought my grandpa was dead. In reality he only went to the hospital but they, that's drunken logic fo ryou.

So for about an hour, I was crying and felt like an asshole because I totally killed whatever buzz my friends had as they tried to take comfort me. I did this for about an hour, at which point my mother called me again and I picked up, crying and sobbing. My mother told me my grandpa was fine and that he was released from the hospital. I instantly stopped crying and felt so relieved at the whole situation because for an hour I thought I had just lost the last remaining grandparent I had. But this is where the story starts to get funny.

Now before I explain, let me give a little background information. My grandpa is a pretty old guy at 83 years of age. He lives in an assisted living home (it's actually a nice one, we hook that ***** up) so he gets lonely an dmisses us. Whenever I'm in town I make an effort to visit him and my dad and mom each visit him at least twice a week, but he's still lonely. You can't really blame him because he's an old crippled man who can barely walk, thus he really can't socialize. But anyways, I guess he staged the whole fiasco in order to get some attention. I was sorta pissed after hearing that part, but now that I look in retrospect that whole situation is funny in a pretty embarrassing way.