Fungus

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by Nugz626, Mar 20, 2018.

1. So I have an idea and I want to know if anyone has tried it or if anyone is opposed to it.. I’ve been reading up on fungus and how it’s beneficial in flower. I had some organically grown mushrooms in the fridge and I blended them up with water, added a half cup of Alaskan hummus and half cup of ewc. Got it bubbling now. Could this help, or am I reaching to far???

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. what is it you are trying to achieve?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. I’m thinking way outside the box, but I thought this would help introduce some fungi, mushrooms break down pretty fast, and a lot of growers add mushroom compost, how would it be bad if I brewed it into a tea full of bennies??? Right or no.. maybe I’ll wait to try this on some plants outside this summer just to be safe..

4. I'm guessing you want to increase the fungal population to help with the phosphorus uptake or whatever in flower? The mushroom itself is the fruiting body of mycelium - kinda like blending up an apple hoping to sprout trees....

[​IMG]

If you added endo to your soil or roots this should be taken care of.
    I bought this clone in rockwool last year and just dug it up earlier this week - dusted this clone's roots with vam-endo - see the mycelium?

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  5. I can see it, I guess I was assuming that the mushroom itself would break down, and all the spores would be dispersed throughout the soil, possible creating some fungi activity..

• Like Like x 1
  6. To help with uptake in flower..

7. I think you might have a point. I mean the spores are kept up in the under side of the cap so why wouldn't they disperse in your soil?

8. I’m glad someone understands how I’m thinking, I thought I was going to be added to the new growers topic haha

9. Sure - it won't hurt don't get me wrong. I'm just saying Endo have been proven to have a symbiotic relationship with plants and will help with uptake...other fungus? I'm unsure. So take the guesswork out of it and buy some endo.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Sounds like a plan! Thanks for the input!

11. To be beneficial for uptake or establish symbiosis, the fungi has to be very specific. There are 3 known types of endo tha benefit canna. They are glomus mossae, glomus intradices, and a 3rd glomus xxxx I can't recall at the moment (forgive my poor spelling, I don't have my books with me).
    The same applies for N fixing bacteria, it must be the exact right one.
    That's not to say that overall your soil won't benefit, just not in a direct fashion.
    As PoiBoy said, VAM has the correct 3 types.
    cheers
    os

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. you will get more benefit from tossing the mushrooms in the compost/worm bin.
    even if you had the correct kind of mushroom spores that would be useful in the soil, its not a simple matter of tossing them in a bucket with an aquarium air stone. you would need to achieve at least 6ppm of oxygen saturation, have the correct (not too little and not too much) food source, a microscope and the knowledge to identify the kind of fungal growth you want so you know if your brew is successful and when it is ready.

13. Right on thanks for all the info! Gonna scrap the idea for teas and just toss them in the compost bin.

14. You would be creating a fungal dominated soil.
    From what i have read, perennials thrive in fungal dominated soil.
    Annuals thrive in a bacteria dominated soil.

• Like Like x 1
  15. super easy way to bring in beneficials is make IMO1 and 2 and water into the soil. if you really want you could take it to 3 or 4 but not needed.

16. Look into 'garden giant' mushrooms. I'm planning on growing some in one of my indoor no till beds shortly.

• Like Like x 1
  17. I added a bunch of spores to my 4x8 bed, haven't seen any pop up so far. May add a second round of spores.

• Like Like x 1
  18. You will have better luck using LC to innoculate some sawdust that's been sterilized in a pressure cooker. Get autoclavable bags w a filter patch. 'noc it up w a syringe right through the patch.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Yep. it was an old syringe that was iffy so I just shot up a bunch of compost and tossed it on bed.