Fungus growing on top of soil

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by CanadianBrad, Oct 19, 2019.

1. So my plants are getting close to harvest, maybe a week left or abit more. I wanted to bring them inside for the last week cause it drops down to around 5 Celsius at night. I tried to give them more water then normal before I brought them inside so I wouldn’t have to deal with watering them inside. Now the soil has been wet for three days and they are growing white fungus/mold on top of the soil. I don’t know what to do and I don’t know if this is going to effect the buds. Should I just harvest them now since they are already close to being ready? [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. Plants look great! Any pics of the soil in question? I usually look at the plant as a whole when it comes to harvest. I look at water consumption, rate of growth, trichomes, fan leaf changes, age of plant, ect.

3. the white fungus in most cases is Mycro onzai?

its good and helps and plant take up nutes

but in truth you may have invited Queen Budrot into your space

setting the conditions for mold ie.16c -ish and high humidity

check daily IMO first contact = Harvest

good luck

4. I scraped the top of the soil just to mix it up abit. I was hoping that would help it dry out. So pictures of the soil would look normal. I should have got some pictures of the white stuff before I did that

5. They are consuming much less water then they used to and they aren’t growing much. I might just harvest tomorrow. I’d say overall this has been a good first grow. I started late August. Next year I will start earlier.

6. [​IMG]

7. yuk
    looks like mold to me

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Dont keep watering everyday. Water once a good amount and leave the plants alone for 4-5 days. Your lights should dry out the top of the soil within a day after watering. If you keep watering frequently, you are keeping the surface wet. I water my plants a bucket full once every 4-5 days . Never had any issues with mold

9. That looks like bad mold:( i get mycelium from my soil and fert but that is mycorrhizae that I put there. It smells earthy and mushroomy, I wouldn't want to smell that, lol

10. That's called Santa's beard. Its a sign of healthy soil.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. i had this for first time this year .. i have a healthy crop BUT.. its also my first time with minor case of powdery mildew on 2/10 plants? .. not sure if the 2 are related??

12. Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. killset is righht i think google

santas beard in soil then go images. seems legit. worst case scrape it off

14. Agree. It's healthy. No harm in putting a layer of mulch over it. As long as you keep your stem uncovered and not directly watered.

15. It’s definitely Santa’s beard. I mix my own soil. Happens in two days when I inoculate a batch in totes. That’s the micro life waking up.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. I got that and it freaked me out but then I was told it was good by the guys that make the teas..

17. Screenshot_20191020-180851_Google.jpg Screenshot_20191020-180851_Google.jpg
    Wrong santas beard. Santas beard isnt the technical name and the term varies from region to region. What he has it what lots of us on grasscity refers to as santas beard. It's totally fine. I expect to find it on my soils when inoculate it.

This is the santas beard we refer to on here. This is a google pic, not my own soil.

I go mushroom hunting and have found santas beard like the one you are referring too.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Cool .
    I didn't know ….
    Not a indoor soil/compost grower ...hydroponic in all my grow set ups ..
    But I do research on some of the stuff I read on here .
    Thanks ..

• Like Like x 1
  19. First time I saw it i thought i had a big issue going on. Now I'm happy too see it. I'm happy to see the santas beard you posted too though...lol

• Like Like x 1