Fungus gnats

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Sucrose OG, Jul 26, 2017.

1. I flushed my soil to get the extra nutrients out last week and noticed i had some early signs of a fungus gnat problem. Bought some yellow sticky traps and have caught alot already. I read If i can water them from the bottom i can possibly stop the larvae and gnats from growing in numbers. Im also going to buy some special powder thats like glass to microbes and coat the top of the soil to stop the larvae. My question is on bottom wattering. How is this done? Also heres some pics of the little bastards. Let me know if im doong something wrong. I havent watered in about 3 or for days to make sure the top of the soil stays dry. [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

2. Fungus gnats love moisture and will lay their eggs in the top of your soil if it stays moist enough. You can add a layer of Perlite over the top about an inch thick or so and it'll scratch them when they try to dig down to the soil. There is also a product called "Root Cleaner" which kills fungus gnats, their larvae, as well as a few other negatives in the soil.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

3. Neem oil is decent to fight em. I'll top dress soil with neem meal and saturate the foliage with oil. I also dry the shit out of my pots.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Okay I see how the perlite will be good for preventing future larvae. Is it better thandiatomaceous earth or is it the same or a little worse

5. $100 a bottle!!! No thanks. Im not growing enough to lose tons of money. I think im going with yellow traps, the perlite on the surface of the soil and some neem oil. I might try the dunks as well when watering to kill a majority of them at once

• Like Like x 1
  6. Honestly I couldn't say. I use the diatomaceous earth on the floor to prevent ants and roaches from getting to the moisture, but I've never looked in to or thought about using it on soil. I've jus stuck with the Perlite on top of some kind of high draining soil mix. I've also been hydro only before so I'm still learning some tricks for soil.

7. McTokington has another good angle. Neem oil can be done foliar or a soil drench. I'd do the drench to kill off the larvae first and get the systemic action going, then foliar tops and bottoms of leaves to get the adults.

Hit pests from every angle as necessary. Soil drench, foliar, Perlite and sticky trap. Whatever gets rid of and prevents the little bastards without nuking your plant.

8. It's a concentrate and they have an 8oz bottle around $40ish as well if you want a cheaper version. But yea, the neem oil should do the trick - since its the base in a few different pesticides.

9. I read that sm-90 is an alternative to neem. Anyone ever use it. I heard neem can stink up the place and its mostly for foliar. Sm can be used with water to kill the larvae and is also good for the roots and help with absorption of nutrients. Can also be used as foliar and has a citrus scent LOL. All natural, enviromentaly safe Even edible. Im just a little unsure because people claim it kills insects but it isnt mentioned on the label

10. Stratiolaelaps scimitus once for the life of the crop. Fungus gnats are such easy prey. $40 for a tube of them but that’s it for the life of the plant and should do a whole room of plants.
    Diatomaceous earth is a waste, can’t get wet, so nope.
    Perlite can easily be navigated by fungus gnats and isn’t consistent enough for that idea to work.
    Nematodes can work but you’ll need to reapply once per week for a few weeks and then do it again next time you get fungus gnats because they can’t survive outside of a very narrow humidity and temp window and will be lucky to survive 24 hours.
    Oils/chemicals, basically same thing as nematodes, but it also stresses the shit out of the plants, making the plant more susceptible to more pests.
    Quick shot of Stratiolaelaps and problem done for good. No more gnats.