fungus gnats problem?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by MOBlivingSF, Mar 1, 2011.

1. i have had 7 seeds going in 1 gallon pots for the past 3 weeks.. everything looks healthy but this morning i noticed some small gnats flying in the closet. i researched a little and a couple people have said it is because im using some cheap kellog organic soil from walmart and other seem to think it is from over watering. but i have not been over watering i dont think. i have been watering ever other day and only if the soil underneath is not moist. i also noticed a little spider in 1 of the plants soil this morning.... it looked like a little smaller than an ant and orange... its not a spider mite but it is a spider... ADVICE FELLAS?

2. I'm not sure on spider mights? never had them. But the Gnats. Ya I had them. First don't use anything toxic. Some say the larva's of Gnats will chew your roots? I don't think so and if so no real hurt to your plants.

Now lets get them under control. Go to Aco hardware or alike. get those sticky Fly strips. Non toxic. Its best to place them at the base of the pot (inside). Don't touch your plant or pot. It will get sticky. also hang a few around. That will take care of the major problems. If you can tolerate just a few here and there your done. If not . despite what your read- If you dry out the soil enough to kill the gants your plant will also hurt or dry out. The only non toxic thing to do is carefully dig out the first inch of soil fill in with normal play sand. The gants cant get through it. Good luck. I don't think they do anything to the plant but they are a pain in the ass.

3. okay im already never going to use this soil again because of the smell and its in my own room closet so thats not the most pleasent lol. but nevertheless i dont see anything on any leafs as far as eggs or actual mites... whenever i think i do they end up just being soil i accidentally got on the leafs from playing with them too much. this is my very first grow and i have used just some really good bag seed seeds i got... i got some just regular bud and it was really good..it tasted yummy and got me really high so i figured i would plant those seeds for my first shot at a closet grow.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

4. sexy, sexy... thanks for the pic...

5. i did not see the other fungus gnats thread already so sorry guys... but i only have seen a couple but i dont want it to turn into more and i dont want any fungus or mites so can someone let me know what the hell to do? do i need to transplant into a different soil right now or what?

6. I read on the net when I looked it up because my buddy was having the same problem,all you do is get some apple cider viniger pour some in a bowl mix it with a couple drops of dish soap & cooking oil & a pinch of sugar to really have them go crazy then just set the bowl in the room you have the problem & they will come to drink & drowned in it,just replace it every 24 hours works great

7. Here's what you do man.

Get some sand and put it on top of your soil. That'll keep the big ones from getting back in there to lay eggs, and it'll keep alot of the ones that hatch from ever making it out.

In the meantime, go and buy like 4 packs of those pest strips, (the long sticky ones), and decorate your grow w/ them like it's fucking christmas. I mean curl them around the base of the stalk of the plant, cause those bitches will be crawling up the stalk to get to the shit they wanna eat, your plant!

Every time you go look at the plants for a week or so, give them a good shaking to stir those fuckers up and get more of em to stick to the pest strips.

I wanna say the breeding cycle for them is about 10 days, so if you go a good 10 days or more w/ out seeing them you know they're probably gone. But I'd leave upa few pest stips anyway.

8. sand doesn't work, and will hold water down longer which may cause plant to rot at base

what you need is a fly/gnat stickey trap, the tube ones that are bright orange or yellow ones work best. never use anything that says toxic or to limit exposure.

you can find them at almost any grocery store by the cleaning products for about $3

9. thanks a ton guys my plants will be a lot happier after i make a quick trip to the store.