Fungus Gnats and Pesticides

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by Kwins, May 21, 2016.

1. Hi, new to growing indoors with grow tent... Be gentle! so I followed some instructions for fungus gnat problems after making sure that indeed was my problem .

I used Natures Wisdom Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth sprinkled on And then sprinkled on mosquito bits. Both plants are still in solo cups.

The smell is horrific almost like I may have used to much but certainly smells like burnt chemicals... Is this normal?

One of the plants is almost readt to be moved to a larger pot. How soon can I do that? How long after applying these 2 products should I wait?

Is there anything I can do to get rid of the chemical smell? I already have fans (grow tent starter items) and some other DIY smell good stuff

Unfortunately this tent is located in a bathroom closet. Very small, 2x2x4 - and it's in super close proximity to where I sleep.

Help if you can!

2. Do u have a bathroom ventilation fan? use it. Noisy? upgrade it.

3. Diatomaceous earth has no smell. What is "mosquito bits" and why did you use it? This must be the source of the odor. Mosquitoes need standing water to reproduce.

My experience with fungus gnats is that DE works, but it will take a few days, they don't immediately all die off. It just prevents future generations from hatching. Just put enough down on the soil to form a thin layer and stir it into the top inch or two.

4. I mulch with DE and use something that doesn't require spraying called a "no pest strip". Keeps the population down on flying insects. Can't comment further than the previous posters about the odor.

5. Couple things - first; are you actually venting the area out side via a flexible vent tube, or are you just blowing the air around? I’m guessing the latter.

The last thing I’d worry about is fungus gnats to begin with. Don’t keep the soil moist and they’ll go away on their own and a few never hurt anything anyhow.

Gnats are also notoriously poor fliers. (Edit: “aim a) fan on low directly at the soil and they won’t be able to land.

J

6. #6 pointswest, Oct 1, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
    Never use no pest strips in an area where people live, These strips contain an organophosphate called diclovorous, a chemical that destroys the synapse in brain cells and is thought to be carcinogenic. The directions state not to use in enclosed areas where people frequent. If you value your health, you should not use plants subjected to this chemical.

"Organ toxicity: Dichlorvos primarily affects the nervous system through cholinesterase
    inhibition, the blockage of an enzyme required for proper nerve functioning."

https://www.doh.wa.gov/CommunityandEnvironment/Contaminants/Pesticides/PestStrips

CPID

CDC Warning on Misuse of Pest Strips

To control gnats, use Gnatrol, harmless to humans, with your watering and a couple of soil drenches will give control. Change your watering practices. Gnats are a result of too frequent watering. Let the soil surface dry out about an inch before the next watering and you will not get gnats. Use sticky traps to get rid of the flying insects.

PW

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Hon, to control fungus gnats just go get yourself some clean sand! Put about 3/4 of an inch to an inch of sand on top of your potting mix. The gnats can't reach the nutrient-rich soil to lay their eggs. Any hatching pupae that is there can't burrow up through the dense and heavy sand. So no more problems with gnats and no poisons were needed!

Any adult gnats that wander in can be lured to their death by using a piece of bright yellow plastic lightly coated with a 50/50 mix of vaseline and mineral oil. The gnats are attracted to the "big yellow flower" and their tiny wings get glued down to the plastic by the oil mix! Don't let the oily plastic touch your plants- it will leave dead spots on your leaves.

FYI- Using a no-pest strip to control bugs on your plants is a VERY BAD IDEA! They work very well at controlling bugs, but leave a coating of poison on your plants and everything else! Every time you enter your grow area, you breathe the poisons in. Anyone thinking of using them should read this. (The studies I've read are even scarier, but far harder to read.)

As a former biology major, I know just how remarkably efficient our lungs are at pulling stuff out of the air. And like my biology prof said "Poison is poison. No matter if you call it insecticide, herbicide ,or whatever-cide, it is still poison and should be avoided!" (The lecture on the effects of pesticides on the nervous system that followed was scary!)

I NEVER use poisons on my plants! Dr Bronner's Peppermint Soap is the "nastiest" insecticide I use. There are effective, yet non-poisonous ways to handle insect pests, they just take a bit more work.

Granny :wave:

8. I don't grow weed so take this with a half a grain of salt but...

If the critters were flying around in my kitchen or bathroom i would spray them with any natural organic soap... Even Simple Green states that it is not toxic if ingested... this stuns them and you can physically remove the bastards...

OK, on to the next topic i know nothing about to drop a turd there...