Fungus gnat invasion

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by Healingfields, Jul 17, 2017.

1. I'm figuring it out I'll letcha know as soon as I have a grasp on it

Sent from my SM-G930V using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. They're little pucks you put down that have a bacteria that only kills those little larvae and nothin else allegedly I'm gonna try em on a couple before I put em on everything

• Like Like x 2
  3. It kills a multitude of pests in soil and looks like this or in a jug you can sprinkle .[​IMG]. Get this and some yellow gnat sticky pads and your G2G

• Like Like x 2
  4. i take you just lay down on top of the soil, not sure if they have them at my local stores, but did find em online. thanks for the feedback, also on a earlier post i mentioned i had heard that cinnamon was supposed to work? as anyone ever heard of this, seems like i have problems with them every year , bought some kinda fiberglass pellets a couple of years ago, but really didn't solve the problem. i've also seen them in bags of new soil as well. they don't seem to bother established plants so much, but they're hell on seedlings losing money on high dollar seeds

5. how much to add to 1 gal water or put on soil

6. gonna p/u tommorow

7. It says on the package , I use a quarter dunk on each of my 5 gal pots . I take the dunk break it in 4ths and than take a 4th and break it up and spread it on top of soil and water . The dunks have a biological ingredient that floats in the water and spreads around the container killing the larvae . But won't harm your plant . Good luck . And be sure to get some yellow sticky pads , they are attracted to them and go straight to them and get stuck (the adults do ) and the dunks kill the larvae . Two fold trick to the demise of the gnats .

• Like Like x 2
  8. last time i wanted to buy sticky pads only one avail. local were white did't seem so great, i'll have to get yellow online. thanks for your help

9. Buy a tube of tangle foot then you can make your own sticky pads by the hundreds, I grab some yellow and blue construction paper then cut into strips i used to use extra wide clear packing tape now i use my laminator from office lay a thin film of tangle foot on your laminated strips walla! Blue catches more thrips then yellow, get fancy and put blue stripe on your yellow strip even make small ones on a chopstick stuck in your soil never run out again

• Like Like x 2
  10. I have an organic soil also, when I have gnats I attack from all angles. I get this stuff called gnat nix and put an inch or 2 on top of the soil. The adults don't land on it and lay more eggs. Then I let the soil dry out and use a couple different kinds of sticky traps

Come check out my grow
    Kush's man cave

11. sounds like a good idea i can do on the cheap

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. tried to reply looks like a stole you quote. good idea for someone poor like me

• Like Like x 1
  13. Gnatrol root drench is best for larvae, and organic. Or peroxide if doing soilless medium. Azadachtrin or Avid foliar if you're not in flower. Keep top inch of soil dry if possible. Diatamaceous earth is useful for adults. Don't breathe it in though. Get them bitches

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  14. A fan.
    Done deal.
    Fungal Gnats are really clumsy fliers and just an oscillating fan at ground level is enough to keep them from setting up a permanent home.
    If you do get them Mosquito dunks from the outdoor bug section at the local Box or Hardware store. Next to the Citronella candles usually.
    Crush one up with some pliers and sprinkle a bit in each pot. Good for 30 days of protection. Safe for use in fish ponds so it's a really low risk item to use.
    [​IMG]
    And yes I do have and use them.
    BNW

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. How do you make neem tea

Sent from my SM-S120VL using Grasscity Forum mobile app

16. Soak maybe 1/2 cup or so of neem seed meal in a bucket of water for 24hrs.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 1
  17. Like mentioned a fan will help a lot. Try to dry the soil out a little. Use a good mulch layer to create a barrier preventing them from accessing the soil. A top dress of malted barley powder and EWC helps too. Never tried mosquito dunks but Ive heard good things about them.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 2
  18. I put about 4 cups of neem meal into a tea bag I threw a little bit of kelp in also but then I just put it in my rez and bubbled it for 24 hours I got like 20-24 gallons of water in there

• Like Like x 1
  19. I always have one floating in my reservoir. I like to believe that the bugs in the dunks will be sucked up the irrigation system and dumped into my root zone to eat. Not sure if that is actually going on but I don't have knats anymore.

Secret room

20. Any color will work. They are poor flyers so they crash into lots of things and will get stuck to any flypaper. I've hung that from my plants before.

Secret room