Funding Nuclear Fusion Power

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by Jim Bobble, Jun 12, 2019.

1. It’s been calculated that it would cost around $300 million - $500 million per year over 50 years (15 - 50 billion) to make nuclear fusion power a viable reality. Since the 1970s, they haven’t been able to come anywhere near raising that much international funding. But consider the following:

Jeff Bezos alone is now worth about $130 billion!!! Bill Gates stands at about $100 billion. According to a 2017 Oxfam report, the top eight richest billionaires own as much combined wealth as "half the human race". In 2018 there were about 2200 billionaires worldwide, with a combined wealth of $9.7 TRILLION!!!

My question is, given what the development of fusion power would mean to the standard of living of the world’s population and the future of civilization, why the hell can’t some of Earth’s uber rich fucks do something REALLY significant for the future of mankind???

2. ...and I have more money than most peeps in Sudan and southern Alaska
    whats makes you think their is a future for the worlds population...?
    but stavation...DOOM and Suntans ...lol

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. I doubt it's possible to make a fusion power plant at any cost. $50 billion isn't all that much, I think if it was practical we'd already be building them. Bezos could build a couple and get rich selling electricity.

When I was in Jr. High they were saying soon nuclear power plants would make electricity so cheap it wouldn't be metered, we'd pay a monthly fee just like we did our water. That was when water wasn't metered and of course the power plants were fission.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. The international nuclear physicists at ITER would beg to disagree. The US has consistently failed to meet their obligations to their original commitment, causing drastic underfunding to that project in France. Those physicists say it’s quite doable. It’s the initial costs of refining the technology into scalable and deployable forms that’s the hold up. Governments are strapped due to their politicians’ own politically motivated spending priorities. Even if it would cost a trillion dollars, that’s entirely within the capabilities of a consortium of the world’s billionaires.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

5. #5 Jim Bobble, Jun 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
    Well, as for how much money you have vs those in Sudan and southern Alaska and what that has to do the future DOOM and starvation of the world’s population, I can only say, wtf you smokin dude??? ;-)

But, you added an lol so I will give you a hardy lol too. Take a toke for me.

Edit - I’m fuckin dyslexic! Had to fix that shit

6. There's a really awesome nuclear fusion reactor called the sun. We are getting there in terms of being able to harvest, store and transmit its energy, but still a lot of room for improvement. Nonetheless there's been a dramatic shift in the last 10-20 years.

7. There is no money/profit in free energy

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. There are entire countries that rely heavily if not solely on natural gas or oil, these countries have armies and intelligence networks....

I agree and have expressed as much on here, we can have fusion, indeed cold fusion, if we were serious and funded it properly

9. Here original.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  10. What's "free energy"?

• Like Like x 1
  11. Amazing how bacteria works..they're always around...