Fun in the sun, 1st go at a grow.

Discussion in 'Outdoor Grow Journals' started by Funtogrow, Jul 6, 2016.

1. Yes pink reddish.... That's sugars getting trapped from too extreme of temp change. Not a huge deal but it could be why she not as explosive in growth as you'd expect to see...I do this intentionally indoors closer to harvest to bring out pretty colors.

2. I think I can probably set up something with wheels to get her out if the weather is worth it, I have a ramp going into my house so I think it's doable. Just not sure I can get her to the greenhouse, so it'll have to be a nice warm-ish day with her not in the greenhouse, just outside. The color change is from her getting to cold, yes?

3. At this stage yes I'd say so with confidence. Not always that it's "to cold" it can also be just such a severe swing in temp ranges.

4. That temprature controlled greenhouse you have planned for next year is the ticket.....

• Like Like x 1
  5. And after doing some proper calculating, I'm thinking I won't be able to run all those cfl's for 12 hrs on one battery. I can push 200w for sure, and that pretty much will have the battery dead. So back to the drawing board, I don't think I want to flower with 8@23w for a total of 184w....

Have to look into what batteries I have available to know for sure (amp hr ratings), that's going off my current battery.

Might just say to hell with the other repair stuff and get two batteries and run a 250w hps....

6. Might be easier to figure out a reasonable way to get the soil temp up, kinda stuck again but I'll figure it out. For now I'll get the alarm clock lights in the greenhouse and go from there.

7. hmmmm run artificial heat? Just a bit? Try to rig the greenhouse a little less ghetto?
    Yeah you beat me to it....

8. That's what I am thinking. Maybe do a second wrap of plastic so there'll be an air barrier to help insulate/hold in heat. Might not have to run any heat like that, not sure just have to work at it.

For now it looks like it's nice by my place so hopefully I can get her warmed up a bit and keep her that way. When I first forced her she was in a five gallon bucket and fairly portable, didn't have everything setup for the second greenhouse so I brought her in for her dark time and have a ghetto tent set up in the house (still) from doing that. Was much warmer nighttime for her so she kicked off good.

I'll get things right eventually, I'm just glad she's not just stressing over every little screw up I make. She just kinda slows down a bit and waits for my brain to catch up with what she's trying to tell me....

9. That's how it goes brother lol. Yeah how much would a small air pump draw.....? That greenhouse design is absolutely killer with the air barrier.

10. Air pump wouldn't draw much. I came up with a solution to keep her "toes" (roots, lol)warm. I'm going to put her in a sip, and put a heating mat under the sip. Should help keep her soil warmer, not sure if it'll be enough, or might be too much, but I'll keep an eye on the actual water temp and see what kind of difference it makes in the soil temp. I think I have everything I need to put a second layer of plastic so they're is a bit of barrier from the cold there as well. Should help keep her warm a little later into the season.

How's that idea sound to you?

• Like Like x 1
  11. Just a quick update. Starting to thing Sadie is trying to reveg on me, and that drove me to search for light leaks and son of a bitch.... Light leaks fixed, 12v timers should be here on Monday and I've tracked down the battery and inverter that I need so should be able to get her "backup alarm clock" setup on Monday. Also, my son is going to be staying with me for a while so he'll be helping with the cover so she'll be getting much more time in full sun, still going with the alarm clock just in case....

In other news, my new 35 litre root pruning pots came in, those are for PI and JC who are currently in 20 litre root pruners. I've run out of room in my "teepee" greenhouse, having to overlap leaves on those two girls when I put them back inside in the evening. I'm done screwing around, I've cleared an area for a new greenhouse, pulled brush by hand, hand tilled the sod and got everything all raked to a fairly level and even grade. Building a 15'x8' pole barn style greenhouse that'll have trusses, will have 8' walls and 11-12' in the very middle. It'll be plastic covered this year, hopefully before winter but definitely before next growing season I'll have the corrugated greenhouse panels on the roof, will probably still have plastic on the sides but that works just fine. Using logs for the corner posts, and have some trusses laying around doing nothing so won't be a lot of materials needed. Now if I can just find my post hole digger, been looking for it for well over an hr.....

Here's a pic of the new greenhouse site, cleared and staked out. You can see the ghetto teepee greenhouse in the background, will be so nice to have some actual room.
    IMG_20160709_133757.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  12. Well, I think I jumped the gun saying Sadie might be revegging. Scoped pics look like she's starting some trich production, very little, but it shows continued flowering.
    IMG_20160711_131146.jpg Sadie trich 1.jpg Sadie trich 2.jpg Sadie trich 3.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  13. Got JC and PI transplanted today, went from 20litre to 35litre plastic root pruners. Pretty sure I'll be transplanting them one more time before they flower.....

Not super happy with the performance of these "gro pro root master" root pruning pots. The design on the sides seems to be doing it's job, but the bottom leaves something to be desired, in fact I modified my brand new 35 litre pots....

Before mod 35 litre:
    IMG_20160711_215206.jpg

After I attacked it:
    IMG_20160711_215558.jpg
    Don't understand why the 35 litre had less holes than the 20 litre shown here:
    IMG_20160711_223755.jpg
    And this is the reason I decided to do it.
    JC:
    IMG_20160711_215754.jpg
    PI:
    IMG_20160711_222010.jpg
    The sides are doing the job properly, here's PI:
    IMG_20160711_222014.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  14. Definitely going to be setting up a SIP for these two ladies, I'm gonna be struggling to keep them from drying too much now I think. I had to do something, and it was the only thing I could think to do.

Seriously considering going to fabric pots, gonna have to think about that for a while. Haven't looked into the fabric pots, but I think I remember hearing some blades on here talking about using some rather large ones. The 35 litre is the largest for the gro pro's that I'm using...

• Like Like x 1
  15. Just a little update.
    Sadie will be 17 weeks old on Fri, today is day 28 in flower. She's progressing nicely, buds are getting noticeably bigger every day now and she's looking really good. So far, she's had two boosters of organic flower nutes (made from clam viscera, fish bone meal, wood ash, kelp and "other organic marine by-products"), other than that she's been just watered with straight water, or one or more of the following: molasses, kelp tea, bat guano, ewc, the BG & ewc was once each.

IMG_20160713_092343.jpg IMG_20160713_092357.jpg

Her babies look like they're starting to flower in the greenhouse, mid July with 18+ hrs of daylight. Really wasn't expecting them to flip for at least a few weeks. Had I known they were gonna go so early on their own I wouldn't have forced Sadie, from mid July I think they'll have enough time to finish outside before it gets too cold, she could've had another month of veg. Oh well, I'll have some whenever she's done and then more a month or so later, and I'll know for sure on the clones if they'll fully flower with a natural flip (before the cold hits) and know for next year. Have two candidates I like for a new mother, will need to decide and get her on a 24/0 schedule to reveg soon.

PI looks to be starting flower also, but I could be wrong. Really looks like the new growth has changed, shooting out more pistols than I remembered but I won't be sure for a little while yet. Only reason I know the clones are is cause I watched their mama go thru this early part of flower so I have a good reference.

JC seems to be just vegging along. Watching her closely now so I can get a good idea of when she flips.

They seem to be enjoying the new greenhouse, better temps over night for sure. My ducting fan is sucking at life right now but a new one is on its way. Also putting in a second, high cfm duct fan that will be switched thru a thermostat so as the day gets hotter it'll run more often keeping the temps from soaring, should help shorten the day/night temp swing.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Sadie is starting to bulk up, really happy to finally be seeing some density. She's about 5.5 weeks in flower now.
    IMG_20160726_200150.jpg

PI is definitely in flower in the greenhouse and JC is still not showing any signs of flower.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Love it!!!! Awesome on the greenhouse! Haven't heard from you in a while hoss.

• Like Like x 1
  18. I don't get how I'm following you and I haven't gotten these updates! I'm sorry man.

19. I think it's a great idea! Once again I'm sorry I just figured you hadn't updated catching up was nice though! Sadie is looking killer!

20. Ha-ha. No biggie, I've not been stressing over it and I've been quite busy anyway.