Fun, easy instruments to play?

Discussion in 'Music genres, Bands and Artists' started by OriginUnknown, Mar 28, 2012.

1. I've looked at a Djembe, but they are kind of expensive and getting one shipped here would be a pain. I'm looking for something that is at least somewhat easy to play and fun as well, portable would be a plus. Any suggestions?

2. Harmonicas are the ultimate in portable jams. I love mine.

3. [quote name='"insight420"']Harmonicas are the ultimate in portable jams. I love mine.[/quote]

Any tips? I have one sitting next to me with not a clue where to start.

4. Hard to say, they're easier to play when you already have musical experience, which I don't know if you do. It's a great little thing to keep in a pocket or purse or whatever.

5. Bongos. They take literally no talent to play and they're really fun when you're stoned or tripping.

6. tambourine, harmonicas cool, the triangle, bongos like tht dude above me said...

u could get pretty sick at the bongos and sit in at latin music jams and shit

play salsa for all the latina bitchezzzzz

7. I'm a huge ukulele fan! Picked it up less than a year ago, and it's been a fast learn. Lots of practice ... but I love the portability and the amount of songs you can learn is endless.

8. My daughter plays a variety of instruments, but she loves to tote a guitar around with her from time to time! She picked it up fairly easily, but she is musically inclined whereas I am not!
    My final answer is....guitar! :smoke:

LOL...Couldn't resist these....

Attached Files:

9. There aren't really any instruments that are easy to play. If you want to make sounds that won't upset people, it takes a lot of practice no matter what. Unless you play a tambourine I guess.

10. The drums aren't too hard to learn at all. It's also really easy to practice anywhere too cause you can do a lot with your own arms and legs and no drums. plus they're fun as hell

11. get a cajon. My friend and his daughter have a few. They are fun to play by themselves, easy to jam with other people, or you can just play along to songs. If you can get down the simple kick/snare patterns in songs, it's pretty easy to play a cajon.

12. hey! rhythm section is no joke!

wow man... that's just wrong. unless you're doing basic 4/4 shit for your entire career and even then its hard considering your timing has to be near perfect. everyone in the band is following you. you basically have to be a human metronome AND keep a good groove. i guess if you mean its easy in the sense that you can just kinda bang on them and it will sound cool to a beginner. but drums are not easy by any means.

like someone said before no instrument is gonna be easy if you have no musical experience. Harmonicas and Ukeleles quite easy when you do though. Just look up some youtube videos on harmonica and learn to play crossharp to blues backing tracks on youtube. its a blast

13. [quote name='"Dazey"']

hey! rhythm section is no joke!

wow man... that's just wrong. unless you're doing basic 4/4 shit for your entire career and even then its hard considering your timing has to be near perfect. everyone in the band is following you. you basically have to be a human metronome AND keep a good groove. i guess if you mean its easy in the sense that you can just kinda bang on them and it will sound cool to a beginner. but drums are not easy by any means.
    [/quote]

Wow dude I never fucking said the drums are easy to play. The OP never mentioned anything about playing in a band soon so most of what you are saying is irrelevant since my suggestion was just related to a fun instrument to play that you can pick up fast.

Maybe they just came easy to me or something but like I said you can practice the timing almost anywhere so you can get good quite fast. The drums really aren't hard at all compared to most instruments.

And it can be easier than almost every other instrument and still sound pretty good, not just banging randomly, if you know what you're doing. A couple of lessons and almost anyone can get some jams going. Nothing wrong with just 4/4 when the guys starting out.