Fully Informed Jury Association: Jury Nullification

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by NefariousBredd, Nov 16, 2011.

1. #1 NefariousBredd, Nov 16, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2011
    Every activist should acquaint themselves with this site:

Fully Informed Jury Association

[​IMG]

If any of you are ever in the position to serve as jurors against someone accused of a non-violent drug offence, particularly for marijuana, please understand that you have the ultimate authority over whether or not a conviction is rendered.

A good, and very short, read:

Jury Nullification In Action: Montana Jury Pool Refuses To Convict For Marijuana Possession

An old case from last year. I have a friend who was in this situation this very week and did the same as the admirable people in the above article. Prompted me to post about it here. Understand that I advocate no particular action or decisions in this regard. I only encourage people to rely upon their own, sound, moral judgement if they are ever in this situation. We need to look out for each other.

2. A really great read. Alot of people don't realize that they have the right to vote not guilty if they think the punishment is too harsh for the crime....even if the person is definitely guilty.

3. I have read that before and thank you for posting it. How did your friend fair? :smoke:

4. My friend was actually on the jury, which dismissed the defendant on a paraphernalia charge. He was found guilty of a DUI charge though, but in my mind, if your stupid enough to drive drunk, you deserve whatever you get.

5. This thread needs to be revived.

"Jury nullification occurs in a trial when a jury acquits a defendant they believe to be guilty of the charges against them."

"Jury nullification is a de facto power of juries. Judges rarely inform juries of their nullification power. The power of jury nullification derives from an inherent quality of most modern common law systems-a general unwillingness to inquire into jurors' motivations during or after deliberations. A jury's ability to nullify the law is further supported by two common law precedents: the prohibition on punishing jury members for their verdict, and the prohibition (in some countries) on retrying defendants after an acquittal."

Jury nullification - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If I am ever on a jury concerning marijuana cultivation, possession, or small sale, I would do everything in my power to convince the rest of the jurors to vote not guilty. Regardless, unless the defendant is a major league dealer and scumbag, I would vote to aquit.