Full spectrum HPS vs Full Spectrum MH?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Dephcon, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Hello,

I've decided that i want to try to grow and I'm trying to sort out my lighting situation.

I was considering doing a full CFL grow, but from what I've read MH/HPS provide more dense buds and I figure its worth it. So now I'm stuck trying to decide if I should go with MH or HPS. I only want to buy one to keep my costs down and i've been reading about these new bulbs that are good for both veg and flowering.

So which is the way to go? MH or HPS? or should I just use CFL for veg and a normal HPS for flowering?

I dont have a defined grow space yet. I"m going to build something in my bedroom, which isn't big. Probably just large enough to flower two plants.

Not sure if i should go 250W or 400W. I would like to do 400w since when I get a bigger place I can expand my "operation" and not have to buy new equipment, but at the same time the room is small 9.5x11 so I dont want to have to deal with a shit ton of fans to keep it cool

Thanks.

2. If you're only going to get one HID, then get HPS. There's tons of growers who only use HPS both for veg and flowering, and have great results. You can also use CFL's for veg and HPS for flowering - a lot of people also have had much success with this method.

Good luck!

3. Thanks for the reply.

Is there any reason why full spectrum HPS is better than FS MH?

4. Do what I did. I bought a 400 watt HPS Ballast system, for an additional $40 dollars I was able to pick up a nice 250 MH conversion bulb that can be used in the HPS ballast. One ballast, two bulbs, switch when the times comes.

-C

5. High there, I used one of these through the whole of my first grow - 600w Grolux 40% more blue. I grew some sativa dom bagseed under it from start to finish. They stretched a little when they were seedlings but I cloned them so needed to setup up a vegging area.
    For that I use envirolights and now veg under them, using the HPS made my vegging plants grow much faster but as I say they did stretch and also some of them started to flower under it even during 18/6.

Good luck, BTW I would go with the post above from "thosevacanteyes" if I did not have two growing spaces.

6. thosevacanteyes is right ...

MH -- The Metal Halide is a very good source of the white/blue spectrum of light that is ideal for vegetative growth. Many growers use MH during the vegetative phase. MH is bright and cost efficient to operate, but not as efficient as HPS lights. Most commonly used sizes are 400 watt and 1000 watt. Works best when used in combination with HPS lights.

HPS -- The best light available today for growing Marijuana. High Pressure Sodium lights are very bright and very efficient. This light has a red/orange spectrum that is ideal for the flowering phase. With enough of these kind of lights you too can grow those centerfold buds. HPS comes in a wide variety of wattages from 70 watts up to 1000 watts.

Still learning :smoking: how to grow a plant ... so it`s just an opinion of what i read so far ...

7. #7 Dephcon, Jan 8, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2009
    Well it looks like HPS is the way to go. I think I'll stick to a lower wattage, maybe 250. I feel like 400 will be overkill for 2 plants and will be troublesome to keep cool.

Does anyone know of any particular full spectrum HPS bulb brands/models that are good?

8. It also depends on what strain your growing?

If you are growing Lowryder use CFL to germinate then after 1 week of sprouting move to a HPS for 20-4 thru whole cycle.

If growing bagseed, run a MH for first 2 months at 20-4 and then switch to HPS running 12/12.

The HPS just gives off that warm yellow light like a warm late summer afternoon. Plants just love it for flowering.

9. You might want to look into these ceramic metal halide bulbs. They work in HPS ballasts, and you can see they are a full spectrum light.

http://advancedtechlighting.com/cdmed18.htm

I haven't personally used them yet, but I have read several posts on here that explain their benefits. If you use the search function and query "ceramic metal halide", you will find a lot of info. I intend to give them a try next grow.

Hope this info helps........