fucking landlord.

Discussion in 'General' started by shimmi420, Oct 30, 2013.

1. So I get a call from the landlord. Previous visit she was here because the ceiling started leaking and damn near fried my computer. So next day heat isn't working and she sends over someone to look at it.

And apparently they called her and said they suspected heavy drug use because I have paintings/posters with potleaves that and she said they say a bong... which is bullshit the only thing we had out was a hookah because we figured we had no reason to hide it being it's 100% legal.

So she calls my roomate and bitches her out for like 15 minutes saying if we get busted she'll throw our asses out and we're done and she wont show lienency for any stupid pothead.

So I called her back and her mood peached up a bit. I said look I get it we got bob marely and gratefull dead posters, you cannot buy those without potleaves on them. I'm also an artist working with blacklight paintings, many of my clients request this stuff you have no right to freak out on us with criminal allegations for media in our home. I also cant help but feel its a bit shady on your part that the second we report damages you threatened to throw us out for potential drug use that you have absolutely no evidence of supporting.

Then she goes on saying shes just looking out for herself and the tenants prior had cops called for drugs and that she works with the police and has connections and if anyone gets arrested or any drug charge she'll be the first to know and we'll be out. Pretty sure its illegal but anyways threw me into a paranoid trip.

I'm like look I get your concern by in the meantime let us be, you have no right making these allegations but I appreciate your concern. I told her about the hookah and feel ridiculous having to inform her that hookahs are legal.

I say "I don't know what your workers saw but whatever it was it was the same things you saw yesterday and you didnt mention any concern then"

Conversation just sorta ended. They are straight up slum lords they barely make any repairs unless it possesses and immediate problem. When the ceiling leaked I told them about it and right away they said they would not cover any damages to my property and that I signed something in the lease that stated that. I've been living here for like a month. the water damage was done by the maintenance guy who was working in the upper apartment.

geez what a load. Any advice? Something tells me she'll tell her goons to keep a judgemental eye out everytime they have to fix anything...which will probably be often. I swear this whole place is fixing to collapse/

Before this I was thinking of demanding she drop rent (like $50) until she has a professional building inspector come by and guarantee this place isn't a hazard...but I was worried that would get us on the shitlist but either way I guess we're already there. We pay 550 atm and after we moved in we notced many things such as leaking ceiling, heat not working, rotten wood on the porch etc. This place needs major work and now we're stuck in a year lease... not sure what my next move is but I'm tempted to just find somewhere else and say fuck the lease. if they're going to threaten to kick us out may as well dip...

any thoughts???

2. I actually would get it inspected.

And damn bro! $550 a month? My family owns rental properties and the cheapest one we rent is $500 a month and it's still not as bad as you described.

Plus if something goes wrong my family will go out there and fix it. We cover all the charges.

That's the good thing about working construction. You can fix a lot of shit.

3. #3 fancypantsdawg, Oct 30, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2013
    Holy fuck $550 is so low, wish I'd find anything around here for that prize. Shit, a tiki hut, anything
    Anyway dude I'd fucking dip if I were you. No lease would hold me down there if it's as crap as you describe it, not to mention this naggy ass landlord that makes assumptions based off some posters at your place. She can actually assume all she wants but to act upon that or threaten to is fucked.

4. #4 Jamaican Hotbox, Oct 30, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2013
    Also you come live on one of my properties... I don't give a fuck what you do!

One of my tenants totally smokes. Even smoked with them. Went into there bedroom to check out a water leak and there is a box on there night stand that has 420 on it :laughing:

5. get it inspected. $550 is a lot. we got 3 bedrooms and pay $495 a month. and clean up your house. if you don't want to get stereotyped, then don't fall into the stereotype.

6. I think this lady is just a really dumb bitch and is worried and thinks you guys are scary bad drug dealers. I would say if you really want to stay and live there, play her game temporarily and just try to be seen doing the right thing. Hide your hookah and put away your bob marely marijuana leaf posters and anything else that would seem suspicious to the landlord. I think that should relax her a bit.

But if you've had enough and the place is a shit hole and she's giving you way too much trouble than it's worth I would say fuck it and see if you can't move into a better place. The last thing you need is an butthurt edgy landlord, who's probably pissed off at the world because her life sucks hard and needs to vomit it all onto you and your room mate.

7. in the wisconsin area. It's shady but kinda cool the landlords have us pay rent separately. Like I pay 275 my room mate pays 275 so I never have to worry about them coming up short or me covering them... I seriously think this is a halfway house or some shit.

How would one go about calling a building inspector? Should I give them an ultimatum like either you drop rent $50 a month until you find someone who is qualified to inspect this place, or I'll the 1 800 number and have them do it asap and we keep rent where its at?

They are super rich(house is fucking ridiculously huge) but are also super cheap and they would want to skin me alive for calling the actual number. I know they cant kick us out for doing that, or raise rent. But I just know they would be super pissed... but eh. I'm not going to have my head caved in by a piece of falling plaster or whatever.

I'm mostly pissed about them jumping to conclusions.

8. Luckily for me the guy i work with has a morgage on a nice 3 bedroom 2 bath with a garage and what not that hes renting to me for dirt cheap, might have to throw up some pics but i only pay 500 and i live here in florida.....love it still :-D

Sent from my DROID GC app
    "live from the garden"

9. Her life is pretty damn cushy...

And like I mentioned most of what she saw were blacklight posters that I painted. and when she visited she didnt even care, until her workers brought it up

10. All you have to do is call and make an appt for an inspector, itll cost you unless you have her do it

Sent from my DROID GC app
    "live from the garden"

11. wouldn't do anything to directly piss them off. you signed a lease (i'm assuming) agreeing to pay a certain amount. so you are legally bound to pay that. 

12. That's awesome that they go and fix it and cover all charges.

13. You gotta understand that there our customers! Plus if we fix stuff it's less likely to make a bigger problem!

And the Answer.. Idk man I'd want my tenants to tell me about this shit. If it seems like drywall is falling apart, rotten wood... All that.. I'd rather just fix it man. I'd even want my tenant to ask for an inspection if they believe it truly needs one.

I'd of course want then to consult me, my uncle or my step dad about it first rather than going behind our backs.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

14. After the water leaked in two different rooms. (one of the rooms I specifically mentioned before signing the lease asking to have it fixed and they said it was already repaired) I told them I wanted them to have someone come by and guarantee it was safe to live there. The next day their handy man came by and looked at it and basically stated that he thinks I was making the whole thing up and didn't even know where the leak was coming from(upstairs sink, plumber fixed it) I asked about the leak in my room and he says he saw no water damage. I replied okay as it appears however I was HERE witnessing a half gallon of water splash off of my computer desk.

So this guy is suppose to make me feel safe? He's just a guy with hardly any experience(at least that's what I got from our conversation)

And I thought the landlord was required to pay to have a building inspected regardless of who makes the call. I only rent the building not own it. Not 100 percent but I swear I looked it up before and if a tenant has legitamit concerns but landlords refuse to acknowledge it they have the right to call an inspector and not fear retaliation of said landlords for bringing up problematic concerns.

My sister asked about renting the upstairs and she was basically told (about the deck getting fixed)"no the deck will not be fixed its not for sitting on or anything don't go on it) the deck is directly above my porch...clearly a hazard

15. If there not gonna fix it they should take it down. Not worth having that fall apart and really hurt someone.

16. You should find your closest housing authority and report all these problems in writing.when the house gets red tagged shell have to pay to fix all of it. I've only ever had slum lords, they don't care what you do, as long as it goes both ways. She probably freaked cuz she has to for legal reasons, but it's obvious she doesn't care. The people that make the biggest stink are often already standing knee deep in shit. So glad I own my home now...

Oh and if you happen to forget and take a stroll on that deck and it collapses, you may just win that building in the lawsuit, not that you'd want it.

17. get the inspector in and have some fun running up a tab for her. tell her next time to mind her shit and you wouldn't have gotten the idea to do so. trust me if shits falling apart bad she will basically have screwed herself over.

18. you sir would probably be the coolest landlord ever

19. Thanks man!

I just see it this way.. We have a business actually. Its an llc so my tenants are my customer! I want to keep them happy and my property in good shape because that puts food on my plate, weed in my pipe and beer in my fridge :smoke:

20. Personally putting a lot of effort into striking back at a shitty landlord wouldn't be worth it to me.  You signed a lease for a year and that'll pass before you know it.  Just cool it and relax, and collect some boxes to pack when your contract is up.