Fucking Fungus Gnats (FFG)

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by whackyac, Apr 10, 2016.

1. So I have the fungus gnats. I planned on getting mosquito dunks for the larvae and diatomaceous earth as a top coat for the living adults. Is this a good or bad idea? Ive read conflicting things about DE, but I don't understand why?

2. DE will only work so-so on fungus gnats. Meh.

Buy a little sack of Organic Ahimsa brand (specifically) Neem Cake from India. It will feed your soil and works excellent on fungus gnats. Just top dress in small amounts here and there sprinkling it on the surface of your soil and maybe working it in a little bit with your fingertips. You can find it at Neemresource.com

A fan blowing across the surface of your soil will also help quite a bit. Fungus gnats aren't very good fliers and it helps keep them from landing and getting established.

They also like moist organic matter. Let the surface of your soil dry up a little bit between waterings.

J

• Like Like x 2
  3. I
    Will the DE and mosquito dunks work for now? Until I get that other stuff shipped in?

4. I kept them at bay with a bunch of yellow sticky cards. It must have got them all because I dont see them any more.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Try some dryer sheets over your soil, combined with the yellow sticky traps to catch the flying bastards.

6. Fungus Gnat Control
    • Inspect plants thoroughly prior to purchase for signs of insect pests. Turn up soil carefully near the base of the plant and look for the glossy, clear larvae. Reject any plant sending up flying gnats.
    • Fungus gnats do best in damp soils; be careful not to overwater, especially during winter months when plants use less. When potting, avoid water holding, organic material such as peat moss that may encourage egg laying.
    • If pests are present, allow the soil to dry to a depth of one to two inches between waterings. This not only kills larvae and inhibits the development of eggs, it also makes the soil less attractive to egg-laying females. Apply Gnat Nix as a top dressing to significantly reduce pest populations.
    • Use Yellow Sticky Traps placed horizontally at the soil surface to capture large numbers of egg laying adults. The gnats are attracted to yellow and are easily removed on the trap before they can lay more eggs.
    • A highly effective way to kill larvae without risks to pets, birds, or wildlife, Mosquito Bits (Bacillus thuringiensis var. israelensis) contain a highly selective, biological larvicide recommended safe for greenhouses and garden water features. It can be used on a wide variety of ornamentals, as well as all bulb crops, bedding plants and vegetable sets.
    • Top dress houseplants with Beneficial Nematodes to destroy the larvae stage. Nematodes are microscopic round worms that penetrate fungus gnat larvae, as well as harmful lawn and garden grubs , fleas, and other soil-borne pests (they do not harm earthworms), then release a bacterium that consumes the pest from the inside out. The long-lasting nematodes are safe for use around pets, plants, and your family.
    • Flying Insect Killer, a combination of peppermint, cinnamon and sesame oils, is a non-toxic spray that will get rid of gnats and other insects that gather around windows.
    Tip: The Fungus Gnat Predator (Hypoaspis aculeifer) is a tiny, but effective killer of fungus gnat and other harmful larvae found in soil. On release, they make for a slow but steady, persistent decline in pest numbers. This beneficial insect prowls the soil attacking the larvae and feeding on their contents. Release 10,000 predators per 200 – 1,000 square feet depending on pest levels.

How to Get Rid of Fungus Gnats | Planet Natural

• Like Like x 1
  7. The mosquito dunks and the yellow sticky traps work excellent. The problem with the DE powder is that as soon as it gets moistened it's pretty much useless. I might not waste my time with it myself.

Good luck!

Btw, the neem cake is really excellent for your soil and the gnats. I highly recommend it.

J

• Like Like x 1
  8. I found Neem Oil at my local home depot, however I am unsure on how I should apply this oil?

9. #9 jerry111165, Apr 10, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
    It's actually the neem "cake" that you're looking for and if at all possible I really do recommend the Ahimsa brand from neemresource.com. This is organic neem seed meal From very old trees in India from which the oil has been pressed. Many of the other brands are from China and it's simply not the same deal. The levels of Azadirachtin which is the main compound that works as an insecticide are much higher in the Ahimsa product.

Neem trees have been used for their insecticidal properties for literally thousands of years. It is also an excellent fertilizer - win/win for sure.

Oil and soil just don't really combine well so you're really not looking for the oil although I really recommend the neem oil from neemresource.com and use it myself as part of my weekly IPM regiment.

The neem seed meal, aka "cake" is the ground up seeds from which the oil has been pressed already. It contains much in the way of the Azadirachtin you're looking for but without the negatives that come with adding oil to your soil. It is used in many organic soil mixes but also makes a great top dressing for already potted plants.

Here is a link to the website if you're interested -

Neem, Neem Oil, Karanja Oil, Neem & Karanja products

Just for fun, next time you're at the Hydro Store take a look at the ingredients in the most popular "neem oil" products they carry. Most will be anywhere from 50% to 70% actual neem oil with the rest being "inert ingredients" (fillers). The difference between let's say "Einstein Oil" might be 1,500 PPM's of Azadirachtin in the Einstein Oil (Same deal with the DynaGro brand) where pure cold pressed organic neem oil from India will top out at around 3,000 PPM's of Azadirachtin, See what I mean?

I have been successfully keeping my garden mite free for several years now with a measly half teaspoon of neem oil per gallon of insecticide spray solution that I mix up and spray weekly. Einstein Oil recommends 2 teaspoons - or 300% more lol

J

• Like Like x 2
  10. I applied neem cake/meal to some outdoor strawberries that were infested with ants.

They moved the fuck out within a day. Neem cake is never missing from my nutrient profile.

Skeeter dunks are magnificent, they work like a charm too. As can be said of any method, it's better to have multiple layers of prevention.

• Like Like x 1