Fucked priorities.

Discussion in 'General' started by Twee, Jan 19, 2012.

1. I debated whether I should post this. But I decided, what harm would one more anti-SOPA thread do.

My problem with the US government, is their fucked up priorities in regards to censoring the internet because it's blatant this time that they don't give a fuck about real issues that effect it's citizens and indeed people around the world.. they just care about greedy corporations and their profits.
    It makes me sick.:mad:

One of the most dangerous type of websites are encouraging people to do some damn right terrible things but will the almighty SOPA stop it? Hell no. All SOPA is about is money and greed.

How would I know this? Because I used to be very involved with these dangerous sites and I was even on one of their forums and I had over 9000 posts.
    What were these sites?
    They were called pro-ana (pro-anorexia) sites and they basically encouraged already sick people to get sicker.
    I spent many years on these sites and in my time on them, over 10 members had died from their eating disorders.

Some other things?
    - Men used to come on these sites and encourage anorexic girls to loose more weight because they got some kind of sexual pleasure from it. I was asked several times in PM's to send pictures of my skeletal body to someone who called himself 'Brian'. He was known to be one of the 'best' people to 'train' anorexics. Many of the people on Pro-Ana sites were under the age of 18. It was a marketplace of vulnerable young girls (and boys) open to being preyed on.
    - We would share tips and tricks with each other on how to loose weight quicker (ie. wear less clothes when you jog in winter, your body will burn more calories if you're cold) or tips on how to hide your disease from loved ones and family (tell your parents your going to a friends house for dinner but instead go on a walk)
    - Pictures of skeletal and skinny models were used as 'thinspiration'
    - People would have competitions to see who could loose weight the quickest or who could reach a certain target (ie. 80lbs in 30 days). People would abuse laxatives, skip every meal, exercise until fainting.. it was crazy.
    - Anorexia, was personified into a person called Ana and people would write letters to and from 'her' that would literally trigger someone suffering from an ED to stop eating/purge ect. Here's one example.

I could go on and on.
    But despite pleas from the public, the US government never censored these sites, saying individual servers and so forth needed to regulate them.

Interesting.
    When it comes to websites that basically encourage vulnerable, lonely and sick people to commit a slow suicide, they claim it is not their job to regulate the internet.
    But when it comes to maintaining 'piracy' laws and keeping those fat cat CEOs of mega-corporations happy, they're more then happy to justify out and out censorship.

I dunno, maybe I'm ranting a bit.. maybe I don't make any sense at all

...but theres something just not right about the whole thing.
    :(

2. Pro-ana sites dont fuck with anyones wallet

3. I came into this thread hoping it wouldn't be about SOPA.

I'm sad.

4. Thank you for making this thread. You have provided a poignant glimpse at the real and unregulated dangers the internet holds, and what happens when a government is controlled by private sector lobbyists.

I also commend you for posting your personal story. I am sure that it may help others who read it, especially those who suffer in silence.

Peace!

5. Well you're just as guilty as the government who
    don't regulate them by encouraging and supporting
    those sites. Sometimes people have to take some
    responsibility for what they're involved in and stop
    blaming the government for not fixing this or that.

Where were your priorities? Sharing tips on how to
    slowly kill yourself with others?

The apple doesn't fall far from the tree does it?

If people really want to make a difference, it starts
    with you. Why do you need the government's help?
    Do you need their "restrictions" to not visit sites like
    that? Do you need them to give you self control or
    discipline?

It just sounds ridiculous.

People are going to seek those things out themselves,
    it's their life. No one is to blame for anyone's choices
    but themselves. It's not our, or the government's job
    to give people common sense. Obviously our govern-
    ment lacks common sense...we all know they're run
    by greed and corruption. So why the hell would you
    expect them to give a damn about anything besides
    getting more power any way they can?

You're not telling us anything we don't already know.

6. I didn't read this...I figured since it was directed at our dictatorship it included the main points like our freedoms being taken away, the Declaration of Independence being pissed on, and God.

Shaky foundation, and no civilization lasts forever.:cool:

7. This is sooo true. I wouldn't mind seeing a
    new civilization built from the ground up.

America is so fucked. :laughing:

We shall see...

8. With respect, I believe Twee has provided a very stark personal account of what many of us only know ‘in theory.' In theory these sites and situations exist, and in theory is where this knowledge remains for the vast majority of individuals. In practice and in application they take on a new persona. Twee is a real person, and a real member of these forums. To know that these sites affected her so severely puts a face on the issue that might otherwise go unseen. To me, that speaks louder than the theoretical knowledge of an issue.

Twee was very specific in using past-tense to describe her affiliation with such sites. I infer that she is no longer a participant; she is a survivor. I believe the tone of her message implies a warning approach to those who have never experienced this issue, and those who may be flirting with it. I believe this stance takes courage, integrity and should be commended.

It is never easy to put oneself out there. Twee did just that, for a cause she believes in.

Finally, the underlying points that Twee makes cannot be overstated:

The government will seemingly move heaven and earth on the demands of big-business, even to the point of enacting censorship laws across the Internet itself, yet it makes not even a peep about a culture of death plaguing young people. Pro-anorexia websites, pro-steroid sites aimed and younger and younger men/boys… it is a contrast painted in hypocrisy.

Any government that justifies censorship to protect corporate business at the behest of for-profit lobbyists, but not to protect human life, is repugnant.

Peace.

9. [quote name='"GaiaGuy"']

With respect, I believe Twee has provided a very stark personal account of what many of us only know ‘in theory.’ In theory these sites and situations exist, and in theory is where this knowledge remains for the vast majority of individuals. In practice and in application they take on a new persona. Twee is a real person, and a real member of these forums. To know that these sites affected her so severely puts a face on the issue that might otherwise go unseen. To me, that speaks louder than the theoretical knowledge of an issue.

Twee was very specific in using past-tense to describe her affiliation with such sites. I infer that she is no longer a participant; she is a survivor. I believe the tone of her message implies a warning approach to those who have never experienced this issue, and those who may be flirting with it. I believe this stance takes courage, integrity and should be commended.

It is never easy to put oneself out there. Twee did just that, for a cause she believes in.

Finally, the underlying points that Twee makes cannot be overstated:

The government will seemingly move heaven and earth on the demands of big-business, even to the point of enacting censorship laws across the Internet itself, yet it makes not even a peep about a culture of death plaguing young people. Pro-anorexia websites, pro-steroid sites aimed and younger and younger men/boys… it is a contrast painted in hypocrisy.

Any government that justifies censorship to protect corporate business at the behest of for-profit lobbyists, but not to protect human life, is repugnant.

Peace.[/quote]

I agree wholeheartedly with you and as for Twee, I am thankful that you survived such a travesty. I am also glad you opened your eyes long enough to realize what you were doing was wrong, and I believe your story is just one of many screaming on the Internet.

The point of this thread is that the government doesn't give two shits about its citizens or our rights.

We need to stand up and act NOW, or a true America will be forever lost in the fires of greed and corruption.

10. One of the main supporters of SOPA is MPAA n Hollywood Studios. By censoring all that copyrighted shit it'll give them control of all of it, creating the demand.