Fuck... lost iPhone icons

Discussion in 'Silicon (v)Alley' started by DutchX5, May 23, 2011.

1. So I just changed the icons on my iPhone and forgot to backup the old images. And I'm finding out now that it's surprisingly hard to find the default icons in HD (iPhone 4).

I don't suppose anyone knows where I can find these default HD icons?

2. Yeah man, if you're getting in to theming your iPhone, using Winterboard is the best bet, you don't need to touch the originals then. Sure Winterboard takes a little memory but on an iPhone 4 you wont notice any difference.

Anyway on to your current issue, if you can list all the default apps by folder name, ie. MobileSafari.app, then I will zip the icons up and upload a copy for you (I'm sure I'll miss some otherwise). And I'm assuming it's just the 'icon@2x.png' files that you've replaced?

My iPhone 4 currently:

Home Screen
    Inside Folder

3. #5 DutchX5, May 25, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2011
    Wow that's awesome that you would do that. I'm undecided whether or not to keep my themed icons.. they look great but they're a little too small for my taste, and a few of them have black backgrounds which I don't want. I think the complete list of the ones I screwed up are

- MobileSafari.app (Safari)
    - MobileCal.app (Calendar)
    - MobileSlideShow.app (Photos)
    - Camera.app (Camera)
    - AppStore.app (App Store)
    - Calculator.app (Calculator)
    - Contacts-iphone.app (Contacts)
    - Maps~iphone.app (Maps)
    - MobileMusicPlayer.app (iPod)
    - MobileNotes.app (Notes)
    - MobilePhone.app (Phone)
    - MobileSMS.app (SMS)
    - MobileStore.app (iTunes)
    - Preferences.app (Settings)
    - Weather.app (Weather)
    - YouTube.app (YouTube)
    - MobileMail.app (Mail)

They were all icon@2x.png, but for some reason the camera, ipod, and photos also needed the normal icon.png to be changed. But either way, I can just use the same image right? Just change the name from "icon@2x" to just plain "icon"?

Can't thank you enough! You're a life saver.

Attached Files:

4. You will need the originals if you ever need to bring in the phone to Apple for service under the warranty. ;)

I had one helluva time restoring my icons one time because I realized it like 5 minutes before my appointment at the Genius Bar to get a replacement phone. Then I couldn't for the life of me figure out how the fuck to change the background back to the bubbles. Eventually I remembered that I didn't change that with the jailbreak, and in iOS 4 they implemented that option natively :eek:

5. #7 Sekt0r, May 26, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2011
    The black backgrounds around some icons is common with many themes, the fix depends on the specific theme/icons though, it's always just a matter of either deleting (and backing up) another file or two, or replacing another couple of files with files provided by the theme/icon developer.

The need to change both the icon@2x and the icon.png really depends on what method your using to change the icons, since you've just changed the system files (instead of using Winterboard to theme) it's likely you'd come up with some that needed both changed. But the @2x and non-@2x versions are different in size.

I've included both the @2x and non-@2x versions for Camera, iPod & Photos.
    You wont be able to view these icons on your PC, this is normal as the iPhone uses a slightly different filetype for .PNG files and they're automatically changed when transferred to the iPhone. You would notice the same if you transferred one of those custom icons back to your PC.

I would recommend these forums for all your theming needs, each theme has it's own thread and any problems are usually solved through them - Click
    And if you did ever have any issues that needed warranty, theming your phone (including icons) isn't going to be an issue, you just restore using iTunes before taking it in.

CLICK HERE
    If I've missed any files you still need let me know.
    And it's no problem, it took me 2-3mins to upload these files, a lot quicker than you having to restore your phone.

6. AWESOME dude thank you so much. The files in the folder don't have extensions on them, so do I just change their names to 'icon@2x.png' or 'icon.png' and then drag them into their places on the iPhone?

7. #9 Sekt0r, May 27, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2011
    Are you saying the files I uploaded don't have file extensions? They were taken directly from my iPhone, no renaming/changing at all.
    They all show as .png to me and when opened as they are they should open your image viewer (even if you cant see the picture).

Do you have your PC set so all file extensions are hidden for all files? You can check by going to Start Menu > Control Panel > Folder Options > View Tab > untick "Hide Extensions For known file types"

But yeah without knowing the method you use to transfer from computer to iPhone (and iPhone to computer), I would recommend transferring just one of the icons to your iPhone and replace with one of the custom icons to test it (rename if required, so the file name looks exactly like your custom icon(s)) and shouldn't be a problem.

8. I should have mentioned, I'm on a mac, would that make a difference?

When I open the folder I see all the names like Mobile Safari and all of them but there are no file extensions and the icon looks like a pile of papers, and a circle with a line through it.

9. I haven't used a Mac in quite awhile so I can't give you any specific advice but it shouldn't make a difference, do whatever you did to get your custom icons but with the default icons I've uploaded. Rename them if needed.

I would guess that if you were to transfer one of the icons to your phone the file extension may show automatically.

There really isn't much risk in trying anyway, worst case is you just end up having to use the custom icons (or restoring your iPhone with iTunes)