Fuck did I top wrong?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by bind777, Jun 23, 2010.

1. I topped two days ago with a pair of un-sterilized tweezers just a pinch at the top. Did I seriously fuck it up I haven't seen any response from this girl and I took a little off the left branch coming out. I have another girl that I accidentally topped on one side and shes way ahead of this one. This is my first grow/top so I'm no expert...

http://forum.grasscity.com/photopost/data/2921/medium/100_0180.jpg

2. #2 LongBottomLeaf, Jun 23, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2010
    You should be alright. Topping a plant will stunt it's upward growth momentarily. It stresses it a bit, and needs a bit of time to recover. You might notice that your side branching is benefiting from the topping. It gives the plant time to concentrate it's growth on the side branches.

It took close to a week for my first plant to show major signs of change after I topped her.

Good luck, and keep us updated!

How many full leaf sets does your plant have? Typically you would top after your 4th or 5th set, but people have done it after 3.

3. Yeah I did it after three... I accidentally did it to one half of the top on a younger plant and she is already started a new leaf set in replacement of the one missing leaf. I also wanted to get into 12/12 soon, will this effect the topping growth? I'm always up for a new experiment :D

4. I would wait. Seems kind of silly to top a plant and then force flower it. You would kind of be defeating the purpose.

At least wait until you get good some new good solid growth. Once that thing splits off and starts producing two "main stems" you are going to fall in love with it! Multiple top colas are lovely.

5. Yeah you are right... Although I have to go back to school at the end of August so I am running out of time....badly. I wish my grow that I started at the beginning of the summer kept up but my grow box was getting too hot. I have two other girls that are perfectly healthy besides a tiny bit overwatering. I think i'll go to 12/12 in a few days and see what happens. Maybe I shouldn't have topped in the first place :(

6. if your short on time... you can give it longer dark periods in flowering. Like 9-10 hours light 14-15 hours dark although your yield will be reduced.

7. Interesting I never knew that. hmm I wonder if it's worth it...I'm thinking of starting 12/12 tomorrow lights off at 7am that way it stays cool during the day. Would It be bad if I harvested a week or two early? =/

8. Hey man, if your just trying to finish before the end of august you need to flower now to being even close to ready to chop.

Think of it this way, your going to flip to 12/12 now, it will be mid-august before your 8 weeks from 12/12...and, you should NOT be counting your 8 weeks from 12/12, you want to start your clock at first bud which can be a week - 2 weeks past the 12/12 flip....so even starting today, a finish before the last week of august is pushing it. You'll be close though and if you look at all the people that cut early 'samples' and are stoked with them, if you gotta chop early, you gotta do it. Some smoke is better than NO smoke..LOL

9. Dudeeee. Thank you for the honesty I really appreciate it. I was always concerned whether or not 8 weeks of flowering was including the "2" weeks before sex shows. Like I said early, I had a grow that started in the beginning of June which would have given me just enough time to chop, but I destroyed it by added too many cfls and not worrying about heat. I got plenty of seeds the only thing I need more of is soil for another grow which I'm going to start when I get to school :)