Frustrated with PC build

Discussion in 'Silicon (v)Alley' started by Tripple A, Aug 20, 2010.

1. UGHHHHhh this is bullshit. first time building a computer by myself and everything seems to go wrong. It's 1 in the morning, i wanna finish this thing but i still have to wire everything. Should i just give up for the night and (try) to finish it tomorrow?

2. I vote go get a coffee, and keep tinkering until it's done.

I remember my first build. Good times, but so much uncertainty and shit fucking up. *beep beepbeepbeepbeep* "wtf now?!!!!! maybe I broke this, maybe I broke that." It was a great feeling though when it all started coming together at 3am. So daunting when you just see wires and shit everywhere.

3. Hopefully you decided to hold off until the morning.

Trust me, when it's late at night, you're exhausted, and you're frustrated, THAT is when you'll really fuck something up. A lot of times it is so much easier to come back the next day and start up fresh.

4. What you stuck with OP maybe we can help you out?

5. Yeah, exactly, let us help you OP. Wiring them up isn't all that bad (yeah, I know my comment is a bit biased based on my experience). DVD and hard drives are really easy with SATA connections now, the only real bitch that's left these days is wiring up the motherboard (mobo) to all the connections on the case itself. Usually the mobo manual covers all this pretty clearly, and it's actually imprinted on the mobo itself.

Speak up and let us help!

6. It might even be easier for you to start over again since I'm not sure where the frustration is coming from since you didn't say.

Screw in the mother board mounts in the empty case

Screw in the mother board

Attach case wires to mother board (Read motherboard manual)

Install power supply and attach mother board connectors

Install cpu and its heatsink + fan

Slide in hard drives and cd drives and attach their psu wires and sata/ide wires

install videocard(or other pci cards) and attach wires from psu

insert ram

Also dont forget to attach fine wires to mother bord

Am i missing something?

Edit - not necessarily in that order whatever you feel is appropriate depending onthe size of you case/components

7. Ok thanks for the support guys lol. i ended up smoking a bowl and fell asleep last night. this morning i got up early and started working on it and got it finish. i plugged in the monitor and yada yada ya.

Now here is where i need help. It says to load OS from cd/dvd drive, so i put in windows 7 and it says something like "boot from disk failure, press enter" or something like that.

I tried going into bios and i noticed my hdd is detected and so is my cd drive. but why wont it fuckin boot? ughhhhhh this is so irritating. i just wanna play some starcraft 2 :D

8. Is you cd drive set as "first" in your priority list, in the bios, for loading an o/s?

9. im gonna be hitting up starcraft 2 in the very near future!

10. yes, fatpat i put my cd drive as first boot and hdd as second, and so forth. I'm gonna try and use a new ide cable to hook into the drive cause the one i'm using is a little beatin up. Would it matter if the drive is a RW that is like 5-6 years old?

It seems like it wants to load and the led on the drive blinks and i can hear a little bit of spinning, but it quits.

thanks

11. This is a DVD-RW drive, right? Windows 7 only comes in DVD format; no CD option.

While the BIOS is on the screen press F12 (or other depending on your BIOS) to manually select a one-time boot option. This is usually better than trying to make long-term changes to the boot sequence.

Also make sure you don't have a USB flash drive or external hard drive plugged in. Gets me all the time when it tries to boot using the USB drive.

12. K good news guys, i got it up and running. W00t

I'm so excited, i cant remember when the last time was i had a computer that was (pretty much) top of the line. (core i5 3.2ghz

Off to go play some counter strike and starcraft 2 yay.

p.s. it was the dvd drive that wasn't working. i had to use an external.

13. Luckyyy, I wish I had a corei5/i7, I've got a Phenom II ): I mean, it's fast, a bit faster that a core2 with the same clocks, but still not on par with the i series...

What graphics do you have? I've got an old Nvidia 9800GTX I overclocked the shite out of. It manages to play Crysis close to max at 1920x1080, but I'm pretty sure the overclocking messed something up as using the second DVI port causes my computer to go into a never ending reboot cycle ):