fruit flies?

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by Hippy_Hay, Sep 29, 2006.

1. i have these small lil flies flying in and around my plant, they look alot like fruit flies. I cant take a pic because their tiny and too fast my stoned ass. is the an easy way to rid myself of these or do i gotta get off my ass and head to a store?

2. look at the soil......do you see these flies in or on the soil?

I believe you may have Fungus Gnats......eggs laid in soil and larve eat the roots!!.

If so scrape off the top inch or more of soil, this is where the eggs & larve are. spray soil with a Pyrethreum based insect spray (no need to drench the soil go easy) . Let the soil dry out to kill the larve & spray the soil again every 3 days for a week.
    top dress with new soil when you feel comfortable they are under control

garlic cloves, mint leaves or peppermint oil extract on the soil surface will also prevent the return of airborne flies

good luck

3. for some odd reason i have those last 3 things, thanx alot

4. Yeah I have the same prob, hmm maybe this would explain the lack of growth. I thought they were fruit flies so I didn't pay much attention to them. Thanks Ganja and thanks Hippy for the thread.

5. Glad to help guys....

this also means you are watering too frequently, or too much, let the girls dry out before watering

6. The bastards came with the fucking dollar store soil that I purchased. Pisses me off quite a lot. Meh.