Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Frozen Cannabutter Question

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by Pixie-d, Jun 22, 2018.

1. Hey!

I was given some cannabutter for Christmas which I've had in the freezer since then. I took it out to thaw overnight as I'm using it in brownies and when I opened it this morning it was almost a liquid consistency. It was a bit lumpy, and oily as opposed to normal solid butter consistency. It didn't smell rancid at all, and mixed into the brownies just fine, but I'm wondering if that might mean the cannabutter had gone off or there might be an issue? I haven't really worked with cannabutter before so not sure what is normal after freezing.

Has anyone had an issue like this before?

Thanks

• Like Like x 1
  2. Could it have been coconut oil instead of butter? Coconut oil is liquid above 76F. If it is indeed butter I don't think you have any worries if it didn't smell or look obviously off. I would have cooked with the cannabutter, too. Enjoy your brownies!

3. It was definitely butter, though after speaking to the person who gave it to me, it wasn't clarified, so wondering if it's just a natural separation from the cooking process.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Whilst we are on the subject is the butter still very potent after freezing? I want to freeze mine but am concerned it will loose its potency so I make triple batches of cookies instead

5. I put my Hash-Coconut oil mixes through a freeze to help breakup the material. Softens it substantially for when I let the caps melt in my mouth for faster onset.
    Doesn't change the intensity of the stone any one way of the other near as I can tell.
    Years at this and I'm nearing 40,000 caps made and consumed.
    I might have a clue how this stuff works :)
    Use Coconut oil rather then butter for the simple fact that butter can go rancid over time. The Coconut oil is stable from freezer to setting under the seat of the truck for about a year. (forgot about them but they were just fine).

[​IMG]

Hallucinating Hash Capsules for Hemp Heads

BNW

6. Do you prefer coconut oil over butter simply for the longevity of it, or are there other reasons? I've only done (unsalted) butter because I mainly only make about 1-2lbs of butter at a time, and actually love the taste of the cannabutter in treats.

7. @AngryPirate
    No it's for the lack of any real taste in the coconut oil. It's about as Neutral and flavorless on it's own as I've found. Lets the flavors of the hash come through loud and clear.
    Butter has a heavy taste in any large amount and since I let the caps melt in my mouth much of the time I'd rather a mouthful of Coconut oil then butter. (Much as I like and use butter even I have limits)
    I've tested just about every oil I could from butter to bacon fat to safflower oil and everything in between.
    Really doesn't change the stone much but some like olive are very strong tasting on their own and totally overwhelm the delicate hash flavors.
    Lard-Bacon grease is up there for taste if you love bacon flavor like most of us do.
    BNW

• Informative Informative x 1