From The Shadows To The Sun. The Maninumbra appears.

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Maninumbra, Jan 13, 2017.

1. #1 Maninumbra, Jan 13, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
    That was a fun title! I entertain myself.

TL;DR First time grower of cannabis. Like everyone else.

Good day to you all. Here I am called Maninumbra though I am called many things in my life. The least favorite of which is the names my wife uses for me when we disagree. Waka waka.

I tend to "write up" with big words and hyperbole. Not because I want to feel superior or appeal to less readers. It's because I pick the right word for the application and I'm passionate. I always try to keep it down the middle vocabulary wise. We're trying to communicate after all. What benefit does talking over folks offer? I digress.

I've utilized cannabis for 23 years now. This past November I got the go ahead from the spouse to grow cannabis for myself. Local and state laws and ordinances aligned with that approval and in early Dec I started assembling my grow space.

DankDolph asks for details, you give them.
    The tent is a 2'd x 4'w x 5'h I picked up from china on DHgate and so far the thing is solid. The zippers are heavy, The fabric is still holding together, stitching isn't an issue. [​IMG]

Lighting started out as a single GalaxyHydro 300w LED from Amazon. It's pictured above on the bench. What? I am not lazy...... FINE! [​IMG]

I've since added another of the same light as well as several supplimentary lights depending on photo period. Given the variable nature of the lighting in the grow I think it would be remiss to detail it all for now.

There is a small 600W oil heater that was advertised as an "under desk" model. You don't need a picture of that, ffs. I've also utilized two small fans. One clip mount the other is a floor "vortex turbo slipstream" w/e...blow my leaves, k.

For ventilation I have an active carbon filter on a 4 inch hose attached to a 240cfm inline output fan, paired with a 120cfm inline booster input fan all on that 4" hose I mentioned above. Local ordinances require it. Apparently I didn't take pictures of the setup. I have a good memory. I'll take one later though it won't be veg lights.

*coughs*

I used FF Trio as my principal nutrients. I used it at 2/3 recommended strength. I wandered upon research that suggested humic acid, kelp, and Azomite as a soil amendment during potting and it didn't kill them. I think I'll try it wholesale next go around as an organic approach. People like organic, right? [​IMG] Just before lights out.

[​IMG] I started with 6 seeds originally. 4 of one strain. Two of another. I won't name the strains publicly so you may ask but I will deflect. After curing, perhaps. Assuming they don't catch on fire between now and harvest.

[​IMG] Of the original 6 only three germinated. I decided to start two more seeds since I'm allowed six mature plants. Both of those seeds germinated and both were different strains than the first two. So there was three total strains at that point, 5 plants. Initially I was content.

[​IMG] I am allowed 12 immature and 6 mature plants so I saw no harm in starting a questionably viable seed mid month and two weeks out from the crop's germination. I'd just prolong the veg period to accommodate it.

[​IMG] I'm into week six of Veg and this is where the girls are. The seeds are regular so they'll need sexing. I have about a 4 ft ceiling on the grow so I've tried to keep the vegetation low and tight so I can trim up and grab clones from that thinning as I approach the beginning of flowering lights in the next two to three weeks.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Looks like a solid first grow. Don't have any feedback, would need some meaningful details on your operation. But it looks like you did your research. Keep us updated

3. I did my homework as much as one can going into the unknown. You make a valid point though about details. I will proffer them in a forthcoming post.

Thanks for taking the time to read me.

4. Update - I screwed up my preflower flush by using tap water after I had been using treated water the whole grow. pH of tap was 8.5 so a couple of the plants locked out iron before I could catch them. I've flushed since and brought soil pH down to about 7 but I'm not trying to drown the plants either Early in flower. I've adjusted the next watering batch to 5.8 pH in one bucket and about 6.3 pH in another bucket with a humic acid (Leonardite) supplement to stabilize the soil....hopefully. [​IMG]

5. Congratulations, that's a confirmed female.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

6. Thanks for your confirmation. She's the big one too Seems 4/6 are confirmable. Last two are Sativa heavy strains so might be a few days yet.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  7. Why won't you tell us what strains you're growing? Lol. Btw if you're in mass I believe we are allowed 6 plants per person, 12 max per household.

8. If I tell you which strains, why will you keep reading? It's like the hook in literature. I will share the strains (I think) I'm growing once I see some margin of success. Otherwise it is remiss. I am in Cali and it sounds like it's less complicated in Mass than it is in Cali.

9. Do what makes you happy I guess, lol. I don't know what Californias laws are but I would be very surprised if Massachusetts was less complicated haha we love bureaucratic red tape. Massachusetts allows its residents up to 6 mature plants per person. The bitch is that they cap it at 12 plants per household, so for example right now I live with two other people, one of whom doesn't smoke, so I have 12 plants in my garden, split between me and my roommate who does smoke. However, this fall im going to be moving to a house with at least three other roommates, so it's really gonna suck either having my yield per cycle cut in half (or even less) or having to venture back out into illegality by going over the 12 plant limit.

10. The secrecy is less about being happy, more about covering my ass. Crime in my area is significant. Less attention, the better, locally. Cali is the same for plant allotment per household but right nowit feels like every municipality in California is having a tizzy if they didn't have existing ordnances in place. Banning grows outright creating legal red tape for cultivators. It stinks. Progress.