From 0-750ppm in 60 seconds

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by MightyBuddha, Dec 21, 2006.

1. So I decided to add some nutes for my plants last night as they had been on straight H20. So while figuring out how much water I had in the container and then doing my calculations I smoked a few bowls. Well I instead of the 350ppm I was aiming for I ended up at 750ppm. And before I get that post... I know H20 has ppm and I factored that out for this.
    I just figured this out today when I thought back and looked at some notes I made. They have been cycling in it for about 20 hours already and they look OK. How long does nute burn normally take to show? I am going to take a picture now to show plant size and health.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. my understanding of hydro is that if you fuck it up, it'll show you within hours, and usually its hard to fix

3. Well I diluted with another 8 gallons of H20 and I am now showing ppm about 500. Plants are looking good especially the one with the long skinny leaves....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Be warned that while you are correct about changes taking place really fast in hydro, looking at your plants, I'd be surprised if the roots have more than just enter the solution, which means they aren't being affected by the full strength of your nute solution, I'd get your ppm even lower to prevent major burning, but you do what you think is best.

5. your shit should be fine. I give freshly "rooted" clones 700ppm. The tips of the new growth will die out if you have nute burn

Also loose that thick dripper line and get yourself some dark colored silicone air pump tubing from a fish store. It's amazing!

6. Hey Mighty....I kno this is a relatively stupid quest. but i havent found the answer on any forums yet.... I do kno that my Deer Park water has about 95 ppm but after i put my Vigoro All purpose plant food (24-8-16) How the heck do i measure the ppm's ? Is their a device a test kit of some sort that will give an exact number? It would also help to kno exactly what ppm stands for...lol....anyone with this info...will be a big help....thanx again for ur time.

7. Hello sextutor,

You measure PPM with a TDS (total disolved solids) or EC (electrical conductivity) meter. Both are readily available at your local hydro store, or on ebay.

PPM stands for 'Parts Per Million'.

HTH

8. Freshly rooted clone and a seedling is 2 totally different animals.

i for one am surprised they are not showing anything as yet.

9. it may be the lighting but from swims nute burn experience the seedlings that start taking on a more light green almost transparent tone (second set of pics) typically are in for a rough ride from over nuting

think of it as the plants way of sweating out a 'bug' or a junkie with a bad hit of heroin lol

swim agrees on the tubing it'll start getting clunky as hell when they start vegging like crazy

good luck bro

10. I'm just waiting for the next set of pictures... Chimera is dead on in his reply, which is what i think as well, so dont be fooled just get.... the worst is yet to come, if i were you (from an experienced hydro grower) take heed and lower your PPM to 300

11. Thanks for the compliment, I see a lot of bad advice dispensed around here out of, I don't know wishful thinking!!!, but the conservative grower always has bud to smoke.

12. Is the stem growing in the straw? it looks that way...that would be bad..the stem needs direct air flow... You are using grow rocks only? I have used grow rocks alot. I mix it with coconut 50/50 lots more roots...loose the straw. PH is critical for all hydro... 5.8 for me, is the fastest growth...... 6.2 when finishing the fruit.

13. Well they came through OK. I am about to flower and they are still going strong. 16 Days since the pics above...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. looks like you're in for some mag & zinc problems

hows the ph? the leaves seem to be on the fringe of bunching

15. I think it might be because I left a strong fan blowing across the plants for 18 hours a day for a week or so... not the brightest move. That's why the left side is the one affected. Otherwise I am not sure what to do, I have been following the Lucas formula with GH nutes.

16. if you stay on top of your ph with small doses of epson salt your nute solution should get absorbed just fine

if you can do so invest 100-200 on a pair of those ionic standups made by honeywell you'll get steady root growth through flower

they'll filter the air through one of those charged cells so it cuts down on smell as well

17. Well I have a charcoal filter running in there as well as some of those smell absorbing gels. The high-powered fan was helping balance the air temps and humidity throughout the room.