Friend doesn't want to teach me how to drive standard?

Discussion in 'General' started by Jeffersong808, Sep 6, 2016.

1. I always buy him food whenever we go out to eat and I asked if he could teach me to drive stick shift bc I'm getting a car from my brother, (i was willing to pay him )

But he said its gonna be hard for me, it takes time and is difficult (thats why i need to learn wtf?) He said I should just get automatic and I'll damage the car by stalling out. Like wow, thanks for trying I guess -.-

Is it that hard to learn? I feel like he just doesn't want to teach me.. Unless it really does damage the car.. Or is he just being a d***? Should I just buy an automatic instead ? or pay someone else $200+ to teach me.

What do I do.. Please help?

US ARMY Proud soldier

2. It's not hard to learn and everyone should be required to do so. Also, thank you for your service.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Thank u for not being a d*** & not posting something stupid lolol

4. There should be a youtube video you can watch while you practice.

• Like Like x 1
  5. It's pretty easy if you get a car with a smooth clutch and nice shift box. What kind of car?

Your friend is just being normal, it's hard to listen to gears grind while someone else drives my truck.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Just offer to buy him a new clutch at the end of it.

7. Why don't you ask your brother to teach you?

It's easy to drive a stick, I wouldn't sweat it.

• Like Like x 1
  8. #8 cleanbudz, Sep 6, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
    It can be tricky but it can also be learned in a day. To shift gears while driving you basically press the clutch pedal while simultaneously letting off the gas and shifting to the next gear while quickly depressing the clutch. The lower gears go and through shifts quicker (1-3) as opposed to higher gears which are your "go to" gears for maintaining speed. Hope some of this makes sense.

The really tricky part when learning standard is the 1st gear take off and shift to 2nd and also maintaining that balance of clutch and gas. For a first gear take off you want to press the gas and depress the clutch somewhat slowly, until you start to move slowly, then shift gears according to the RPM. Don't let off the clutch too fast or you will stall. You should be listening to your engine sounds or looking at the tachometer and shift before your rpms get to high. Realistically you should never have to go above 3k rpm for normal driving depending on vehicle unless getting onto the interstate.

At stoplights you need to put the car in neutral and let off the clutch. This decreases wear on the throwout bearing and clutch and also keeps your foot from coming off the clutch causing a stall out which can send your car rolling into the rear of another car. Don't forget that stalling like that can move the car forward so be prepared to brake if you do. Also keep your foot on the brake at a stoplight because if someone rear ends you or your row of cars you have less of a chance of being pushed into other cars or a moving intersection.

As Cactus Jack said YouTube will help, especially videos showing both the pedal and gear shift. Maybe you can find a teacher by placing a classified ad.

9. My mom taught me over just one weekend, it was difficult for just a week gaining confidence. I stalled out a bunch, but went on to drive my same truck for years after so no lasting damage. I actually recently sold it this year, just to get a van. It was perfectly fine, it was about 10 years from learning, to when I sold it. And I miss it still!!! Standards are great. I hope you can find someone to teach you.

• Like Like x 1
  10. I'm getting it shipped from hawaii
    Scion TC

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  11. I've heard that you're really good at driving a stick.

• Like Like x 1
  12. "thank you for your service"
    Dude, he joined to 'get chicks', and so far he's out 100$ because some girl at the mall touched him, and then he tried to get the gf experience from some massage parlor girl.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  13. It's no impossible to learn, OP. It can just be frustrating at first. My sister taught herself how to drive stick when she was 16. My grandfather taught me to do it when I was 13. So, teen girls and underage boys have no problems learning this skill. You should be okay.

14. Some people just be crazy about their car. Stalling out and grinding a few times is in no way going to damage a reasonably modern clutch or transmission though

15. #15 Reth, Sep 6, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
    You know the first few sentences he posted sounded eerily similar to crystals spam church posts. Lol. But really man, stick isn't that hard, just practice makes perfect. And a scion tc? Chick car. But hey man, real talk a cars a car. As long as you enjoy it and ride it like you stole it. That's all that matters.

Sent from my XT1585 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  16. wait .. op got a hand job, and he's bitching?

....Or am I mistaken ...

17. I tried to take my fathers toyota for a joyride when i was in high school. The car was manual and i only knew automatic but i figured it would still be easy. So after watching various youtube videos i tried to take it out and well it did not work and i stalled the engine. So yeah it is harder man i personally wouldnt take the risk because with a manual its easy to lose control for a second or two and thats all it takes to wreck the car

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

18. He doesn't want you driving his car like shit