Friend charged with 2 misdemeanors

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by Manik209, Jul 10, 2012.

1. Last night I was drinking so I decided to catch a ride back home with a friend. Here's the problem.. my friend is only 17 & has no license. I thought he had his permit but I guess it expired recently. He was sober but crashed into a parked trailer when doing a u turn in the middle of a street. He tried to leave (dumb I know) because he was scared but had a flat tire from the crash. He is being charged with 2 misdemeanors & an infraction. The misdemeanors are driving without a lisence, hit n run, and the infraction is an improper turn. Although I know it's his fault I can't help but feel bad for him. I think he probably won't be able to get his lisence til he's 21 now and will have to pay lots of fines. Do you think there's a chance he might get probation too? What do you think will happen to him? We live in California if that helps.

2. Fines, license suspended for at least a year if not more...And the bitchin' he'll catch from family.

Good attorney can probably talk down the fines though, public defender will just get the two misdemeanors merged together which would eliminate one...I bet an attorney could do that and get the improper turn dropped unless he was spotted turnin' by a 5-0.:cool:

3. Do you think there's a chance he might get probation? Community service?

4. Maybe? :confused:

Probation seems doubtful, but I don't know if he might get some community service or not. Maybe driving classes, and/or not being able to get his license until he's 21.

For the record, he still would not have been legally allowed to drive with you in the car even if he had a permit, unless you're 25+ or his legal guardian.

5. [quote name='"junkiedays"']

Maybe? :confused:

Probation seems doubtful, but I don't know if he might get some community service or not. Maybe driving classes, and/or not being able to get his license until he's 21.

For the record, he still would not have been legally allowed to drive with you in the car even if he had a permit, unless you're 25+ or his legal guardian.[/quote]

Oh okay he's just stressing over probation mainly. Also how much you think those fines will be? He doesn't find out til he goes court. And yea I know but it would have alot better still then the situation we were in.

6. I haven't the slightest idea. :p

An infraction is basically a ticket, no? Shouldn't it say the amount somewhere?

You could look up the other two specific charges online and try to get an idea of what the fee might be.

7. I don't think there is any chance of your friend getting probation. He will get mad fines and his license suspended, but no probation.

8. [quote name='"Slowking"']I don't think there is any chance of your friend getting probation. He will get mad fines and his license suspended, but no probation.[/quote]

Okay that's good to hear. You think it's possible he could get some of the fines dropped/lowered?

9. [quote name='"junkiedays"']

I haven't the slightest idea. :p

An infraction is basically a ticket, no? Shouldn't it say the amount somewhere?

You could look up the other two specific charges online and try to get an idea of what the fee might be.[/quote]

Yeah I think so. He didn't receive any actually ticket the cop just said that he would receive a letter in mail for court date & that he was being charged with 2 misdemeanors & an infraction.

10. Of course he can get shit lowered, but an attorney isn't cheap and he's going to pay double at least for the good attorney. He just needs to pay the fines take the charges and move on. He's only 17, when he turns 18 those charges are sealed. But can still be accessed by many government agencies.

11. #11 Duckpigsduck, Jul 11, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2012
    Tell him to stop being a bitch. My boys got 11 felonies and 5 misdemeanors, + conspiracy.

Wtf? He tried to leave? What do you mean, did he leave? If he did then how is he being charged, was there witnesses?

It is mainly up to the judge, doesn't matter what the state laws are, it's all about the judge 100%. I have been charged with things and the judge dropped them and charged me with something completely different, no jail time and a way lesser fine.. Tell him not to go into court acting like he's hard. and tell the judge straight up that, his buddy (you) was drinking and needed a lift and that he didn't want you to get behind a wheel your self or try to walk home and get hit by a car or something. And that when he hit the trailer his adrenaline spiked up and he left bc he was so scared because he's a good kid and has never done anything like this before.

12. No those charges will be with him forever UNLESS, the judge gives him a 6 month grace period were if he gets in no trouble he will "seal" those documents like it never happened, and employers, colleges and what not won't see them or know about them.

OR if he used his youthful offender, which in new york state it is mandatory to use it if you have a misdemeanor, dunno about cali but that also seals his entire record completely.

DO NOT, spend money on a lawyer, get a public defender unless you are not eligible because his parents make so much money were he would have to get one, bc that would be a HUGE waste of money on something so small.

13. If he doesn't want to pay the fines he could probably ask for community service instead. My friend got a seat belt ticket while sitting passenger (If your 16+ you can get the ticket now not the driver so buckle up!) and he didn't wan't to pay the 150 dollar fine so he got 14 hours of community service.

14. [quote name='"Duckpigsduck"']
    Tell him to stop being a bitch. My boys got 11 felonies and 5 misdemeanors, + conspiracy.

Wtf? He tried to leave? What do you mean, did he leave? If he did then how is he being charged, was there witnesses?

It is mainly up to the judge, doesn't matter what the state laws are, it's all about the judge 100%. I have been charged with things and the judge dropped them and charged me with something completely different, no jail time and a way lesser fine.. Tell him not to go into court acting like he's hard. and tell the judge straight up that, his buddy (you) was drinking and needed a lift and that he didn't want you to get behind a wheel your self or try to walk home and get hit by a car or something. And that when he hit the trailer his adrenaline spiked up and he left bc he was so scared because he's a good kid and has never done anything like this before.[/quote]

Yeah he turned the corner but the tire was cut from the crash and lost all air so he couldn't go any further. He tried to tell the cop he was just gonna pull over on the side but the cop knew he was lying and charged him with hit n run as well. Yeah he's just going to tell the truth and hopefully some of the fines get dropped/lowered.

15. #15 Plasma, Jul 11, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2012
    Well.. Since he is 17 I'm sure he already confessed to everything so this is okay advice. I would still get a lawyer and see how well he can move words around. If you know anything it's DENY DENY DENY!

16. Depends on what the court decides for the charge...I would assume probation, community service usually just comes as a way to pay for fines when someone is not financially able to cover the cost on their own, this is where an attorney kind of comes in handy.

...Unless you're like me and could give an absolute fuck about doin' anythin' for your community.:cool: