Fresh Start

Discussion in 'Marijuana Business and Industry' started by OG God Kush, Nov 25, 2015.

1. For a long time now I have been thinking of moving to a different state, a legal state that is, to kind of just start my life in the way i always thought about. I've been thinking about moving to either Cali or Colorado or even Washington. The only thing keeping me from doing that is the fact that I have no clue about how I would go about getting a job before I moved to another state. And that's where I was hoping I could get some help from some of you fine folks out there! As some of you have probably already guessed, I'm trying to hopefully get a job in the weed industry. I was wondering if there was anyone out there who could help me get some kind of footing into the industry or possibly point me in the right direction so I can get off to a good start. Thanks and appreciate it guys!

• Like Like x 1
  2. It's maybe not NEW but Craigslist is good way to find where there are 'jobs' and 'work' but i must admit, even as a medical patient since 2001, living where i no longer fear possession charges etc life is better ... like anyplace though it's challenging to relocate unless you do it LIGHT ....

• Like Like x 1
  3. Please remember that even though it's legal in some states, either medical or recreational; a lot of employers if not most follow federal laws. So you will be subject to a pre employmet drug screen when you do get hired. There's also the cost of travel for interviews. So the job you are looking for would most likely be somewhat above entry level. So what exactly are you qualified to do?

4. See there's my dilemma, I've never had the chance to work in the weed world so I don't really have any experience other than slightly being able to tell different strands apart from one another, knowing a poor trim job when I see one and that's about it. I wouldn't be too worried about traveling cost, I run into enough money here and there to get around and if i did choose to actually relocate somewhere I wouldn't stress about that since I have so few possessions as it is, and even if i got more thing over time i could put things away in storage. and thanks for the insight guys, this will all help me out in the long run so thanks a lot

5. Save up some money and move to Humboldt or L.A. If you want to come to Humboldt then you could go to college, get a degree, and be better qualified to work somewhere here while you find something else in the weed industry.

6. hmm that's seriously not a bad idea, like i could save up for like 6 months and finally make my big move and surely by that i would have found some work down there before the move, well i at least i would have found work by that time haha

7. Ok so your idea of coming to the greenrush states to start a new and more ideal existence isn't a new one around here. If that's what you want to do then by all means go for it. Let me tell you how it is in southern California.

If you want to grow then you'd better be well backed financially, you can't grow in cali anymore without permits and a DBA. Sure you can still grow your own in your backyard but you can't grow for dispensaries without proper permits through various state agencies starting Jan. 1 2016.

If you want to work in a dispensary, well good luck with that. There are hundreds of dispensaries throughout southern California, The only way you will get a job as a budtender is if you have an awesome set of tits. I mean really AWESOME. This is southern California. Do you Know how many awesome boobs there are here? Millions; quite literally, millions. Do you have what it takes? OH, you're not a girl? Yea then you're screwed.

How about trimming? That is probably the most likely. You really need to know someone though. Do you know anybody? Are you ready to sit in a chair for hours and hours doing fine close work with scissors? And you will be expected to meet a quota with minimal waste. This pays anywhere from 20.00 per hour to 45.00 per hour depending on experience. How much experience do you have? Some people pay inexperienced workers a percentage of the weight they trim, but here again you really need to know someone to even know where to apply.

There are other more mainstream ways to get to where you want to go, such as applying for a regular job in the regular world in a legal (medical or recreational) state. Build your work experience and start growing indoors for your own personal. This is where you will learn if you've got what it takes to grow world class bud. That is the one true way to become a part of the industry. Work, long hard hours of work. Work a full time job then come home to tend a garden. Lights, fans, filters, water purification systems, nutrients, meters, blah blah blah... You understand I'm sure.

I'm 54 years old. I've lived in California my whole life. I am a journeyman finish carpenter. If you don't know what that means, I'm the equivalent of a doctor in my field. Because of my experience and expertise I was able to get a very real and legitimate job in the cannabis industry. It took me a lifetime to get here. Do not treat this move in your life whimsically and with any degree of naivete. There are some real dog turds stepping into this industry and its just starting out.

8. while I don't have any experience trimming or really anything to do with cannabis, I have had several jobs before the required me to do some mundane and mindless task such as cleaning tables, cleaning floors, etc. I do feel I could devote a good portion of my day sitting in a chair and just cutting away. I suppose the "thrill" of it would prolly fade within a few days but I think I would still find a shit ton of pleasure in it, from getting to constantly smell weed to getting to laugh act how sticky my fingers are to hell even getting to take home some free bud at the end of a hard day. and to touch on the whole growing thing, yeah naw I prolly won't get to do that till I move out my home state, which is north Carolina by the way