Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Fresh Bud/trim Coconut Oil Edibles.

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by SpaceManSeb, May 11, 2017.

1. Anyone have any experience making edibles with Fresh bud and/or with Coconut Oil? I'm asking because I haven't used fresh bud before with edibles and am wondering if I should wait and dry it or just go right ahead and make some goodies. Any help or info would be appreciated, Peace.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. I recently did just what you are considering, using this procedure: (1) Write down the weight of the fresh picked herb, and divide by 5 to get its projected dry weight, because dried, cured bud is about 80% water. It is this dried weight that will be used in all calculations. (2) It's best to dry the herb for at least a day, or use a food dehydrator set to around 100 F. Wet herb might not decarb properly. I completely dried mine in 10 hours @ 100 F with a food dehydrator. (3) Decarb the dried herb @ 240 F for 40 minutes using an accurate oven thermometer. (4) Grind to a fine powder. (5) Mix with oil, nut butter, or nutella. (6) Use immediately or later without straining. It gets a little stronger over time. 10 mg thc size 00 cannacaps (0.9 mL each) are very convenient for new users. 1 oz 15% thc herb contains (28,000 mg)*(0.15) = 4200 mg thc, so it could be used to make 420 caps. Nutella cracker sandwiches are nice, and I like to mix each gram original herb with 16 grams nutella, and make 4 gram spread cracker sandwiches (Keebler club is my favorite). Decarb first of course. Each sandwich contains an approximate thc = (0.25 g)*(0.15) = 0.0375 g = 37.5 mg. These two things are my most potent products, much stronger than infused, strained butter or oil. It was 12 hours from harvest to edible.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Awesome man thanks for the reply and info! This gave me an idea of what the whole process will be, one thing since I don't have a dehydrator can I just dry it for a day like you said then decarb it and I should get the same out come?

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 1
  5. well can i dry for 24 hours hanging and then decarb and make coconut oil ?

6. When decarbing wet herb, wet parts won't go much above the boiling point of water 212 F until (almost) all the water boils off, regardless of oven temperature.
    After that the herb's temp will rise up to the oven setting.
    Problem is that we don't know how long this takes, or how decarb is affected by steam.

My GUESS is that the water quickly boils off, and that regular decarb then happens.
    This is testable by weighing wet herb, and then re-weighing several times as we try to decarb it. When the herb loses 80% of its original weight, the decarb clock can be started. If this happens in a few minutes, the time with steam is ignorable, otherwise probably not. Maybe a fan blowing into an partially open oven door can help. I might even try this in a few days with a bud or two to be picked.

Terpene retention is popular these days, and whether more get lost doing this fast processing compared to traditional slow processing is debatable.

7. Thank you for finally explaining this to me. I don’t smoke weed I eat it in various forms. does it matter if you quick dry wet (three day hung harvested weed) if you only care about the THC properties?

8. I have modified my baking after posting this.
    Testing by me and my friends shows that adopting part of BrassNwood's technique works a little better:
    After decarb, grind to powder, add oil and lecithin, pre-heat the mixture to 220 F, then bake for 20 min @220 F.
    Freeze, then thaw and bake.

9. I have used lethicin in my coconut oil and it works great if it does not get wet!
    I have never ground up my weed because I only make canna oil. Does grinding it up make it possible to add right in my baking mixes? (Like flour) That would save a lot of coconut oil. Will it keep in the powdered form???

I really just want it dry enough so I can store it in mason jars. Then take out as much as I need at a time to cook, and decarb in small amounts. Adding the lethicin at this point makes sense.

Does lethicin have any preserving qualities?

So many questions and I am a horticulturist by trade!

10. After an accurate decarb, the herb is as potent as it will ever be, if it were lab tested.
    Any additional heat processing destroys at least a tiny bit of thc, but oil helps protect the thc.
    The lecithin, heating, and freezing are intended to make the herb more readily absorbed by the digestive system. In other words, more digestible.

I keep small jars of decarbed herb powder sitting around, then add the desired amount to the oil of a recipe, along with roughly an equal amount lecithin, then heat, freeze, and bake the recipe.

The liquid version of lecithin is easier to use, and the granular version will remain inert until dissolved, so storing the herb in either form of lecithin is probably not helpful, and might be harmful.

Each gram of good 15% herb will supply about 150 mg thc to the finished product.

Decarbed herb powder can also be added to nut butter or nutella for a quicker edible, but then do a second 220 F heating for 20 min instead of the oven baking that makes cookies, brownies, etc.

I've also used the herb powder without any lecithin, heating, or freezing, but edibles are better with those things.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Something is gained during Curing. The correctly dried herb will continue to ripen in the jars and with time come the full complexity of the plant.
    Some say it's BS and just Cannabis snobbery but I've done enough bad cures to know the high is markedly different once you get the dry-cure down and let it age for 60 days.
    Just harvested weed has a choppy jittery feeling that comes from high TCH with not enough CBD-CBN to take the edge off. Stone doesn't seem to last as long either.

Yes, No, Yes and No again. I think. LOL
    Straining wastes oil and your throwing away part of the value so we decarb then grind to dust and use the whole product.
    Cannabis will store in many ways but does best left as buds in mason jars with 62% Boveda packs so it will continue to ripen and cure like a fine cigar as time passes.
    It'll also store just fine after decarb and grinding as dust it won't cure any more though and will start to drop in potency faster then if it was in jars whole with humidity control.
    You can pre make larger batches of Canna Coconut oil and it will store for a very long time both at room temps and in refrigerator.

Hallucinating Hash Capsules for Hemp Heads

[​IMG]

While I use hash for mine it's the same basic recipe for powdered buds. I make this every 10 weeks as I harvest and clear out the jars of cured weed from the previous set.
    Been my medicine of choice for several years now and stops my pain cold.

BadKats CannaPharm: Medical Grade Oil, Cannabis Capsules, UV GLOWING Hash Candy, Canna Bombs more
    This is the source and I have to give credit to her.
    Hallucinating Hash Capsules for Hemp Heads
    Mine is more like the Readers Digest Condensed Book version.
    BNW