Free Will is an Illusion

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by Free Hat, Oct 9, 2018.

1. Everything we do is a result of who we are as a person and of all the things that have happened to us so far in our life. We don't really make choices. We are faced with a circumstance and we act in a way that would be entirely predictable to anyone that understood how our brain works.

• Informative Informative x 1

2. Yes ...but

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. You're probably right but we have the free will to do what we think is right or to not do it. I suppose you could argue that if we decided to go against what our smart brains tells us then we didn't really make that choice, our stubborn brain made the choice for us. But what if we decided to go against what we would normally chose and then go against that choice? Would it be natural for our tricky brain to make that choice?

Are there any original thoughts or has some other brain already thought it?

• Like Like x 2
  4. I just listened to this guy last night -

5. The kind of person someone becomes can be attributed to the sum of all of their life experiences however, not entirely. A person can live a life surrounded by criminals and still choose to not be one themselves. There are too many examples to list.

Some people aren't followers or succumb to peer pressure. Some people aren't as predictable as you might think.

6. But if you understood how their mind works their rejection of their surroundings would be entirely predictable.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. I think you freely chose to make this a post.
    Or did some circumstance in your life force you to do this?

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. People choose to be predictable ;)

9. #9 StickyBudHound, Oct 10, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
    Anything is possible in the land of hypothetical ideas. I think it would be impossible to actually prove what you're saying, though.

10. I knew you were going to say that

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Like Like x 1

Grasscity Deals Near You