Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

FREE Nonpolluting way to test for CBD!

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by Storm Crow, Aug 7, 2019.

1. I'm going through a rough patch, so I am busy "taking care of business", and trying to get things straightened out! I thought this study was important enough to CBD medical users/growers that I've popped back in for a moment.

As we all know, CBD has no high that you can judge potency with, and lab tests are dang expensive. But possibly lurking in your garden is an insect that is a biological tester for CBD- the Tobacco Hornworm! Seems they will happily eat tomato leaves, and grudgingly eat high THC cannabis leaves. But high CBD leaves do not agree with them at all and they will avoid them.

So lets say you have 3 CBD seedlings - which one has the most CBD? You take a sample leaf from each seedling once they have grown for a while (6 weeks or so -cannabinoids start showing up at about 3 weeks) and cut them up. Make 3 small piles of leaves, one from each sample, so the piles are an inch or so apart. Add a hornworm an equal distance from the piles. Watch the order the hornworm eats the leaves. You want the one it avoids! (see the study for details)

Contrasting Roles of Cannabidiol as an Insecticide and Rescuing Agent for Ethanol-induced Death in the Tobacco Hornworm Manduca sexta. (full – 2019) Contrasting Roles of Cannabidiol as an Insecticide and Rescuing Agent for Ethanol–induced Death in the Tobacco Hornworm Manduca sexta

Apparently, although insects do not have an endocannabinoid system, CBD can be fairly poisonous to hornworms if they eat it.

(That is if we are talking about sober hornworms. Alcohol is also poisonous to hornworms, but if forced to ingest it (starve or eat alcohol-laced food), CBD reduces the bad effects and mortality rate from alcohol! So if you know any alcoholic hornworns, tell them they need CBD! :laughing: )

I expect that the very closely related Tomato Hornworm would have the same aversion to CBD. But that hasn't been tested yet. :confused_2:

I should be back soon.

Granny

• Like Like x 5
  2. Good info
    Feel Better soon

• Agree Agree x 1