Free food for the world...again.

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by WeedCrawler, Mar 4, 2004.

1. Pfff,

interesting fact i think not.

think about how many resources the average person consumes in the developed world.
    Then think about the average amount spent where people live in shaks and cant afford to eat from day to day.

it hink the global rich owe something to society that they are failing to give at the moment.
    capitalism only works if the playing field is level. And its inherentley not. so it doesnt.
    its a failing ideal.

2. Well person who I have no idea who you are

Capitalism is not supposed to have a level playing field. The only rule in capitalism is to get more money by any means possible. So the corporations are doing a great job at that.

3. Yea but the more children you have to help you work on your farm, the more mouths you have to feed.

Oh and about farmland, even the land that is used for farming isn't used properly for the most part. It is used for it's short term return; instead of rotating crops, people ruin the soil by planting what will make them the most money in the short run. Then they ditch out once it's not good for farming any more. This needs to stop just as much as the destruction of our forests and the commercializing of our land.

4. Thats true about the farm land..

Crop rotation and rebuilding the earth has got to be done soon.. I agree that most farmers now have money on the mind instead of creating long term grow land.. problem is, just like everything else, equipment and ferts are so expensive, that the farmers have to make their money by growing the most money making crop... The equipment companies are making it extremely hard on all the small farmers!

Having several kids to farm was alot cheaper than paying help to harvest.. Back when my dad grew up, he never got paid anything till he was married and working for some one else.. He still helped my grandad on the weekends from dawn till dark for nothing...

5. blatent...
    bobs beard ;)
    patent and copyright laws are draining the cream for the corperations. (the majority of which are based in the USA)

6. and the rest are British :D

7. HMMM yep British!

8. Welcome to the real world.
    If it isn't money that divides us it's something else,religion,politics,tribalism and 100000s of other reasons.
    Face facts, we are predators and we look after our own (think how hard you would fight if you really had to) because that's our basic programming.
    We are animals but we like to think we're superior to animals.
    WE AREN'T !!!!!!!
    Get used to it.

9. Do you know anything about maths dude????You too Budhead.

200 years of no contraception
    + Little to do late at night on the frontier.
    Have you been reading the posts about grandpa had 10 kids my mom had 7 and all those?
    And what is your background (native american or descended from an immigrant family) I'll bet niether of you is what used to be known as a redskin.
    Almost everyone in the US is originaly European or taken there by europeans.
    Without immigrants you would have nothing,the Irish and the Chinese BUILT America.

10. I am Irish blood, but I didn't build America..

I am an american, and my family from way back are americans even back in the late 1800's and early 1900"s.

We all built america.. Not just two cultures..

On the Immigrant thing.. We are speaking of the last 10-20 years.. The people of other countries are making up for most of the american population, not the people who have been here for a hndred years..

11. You're missing the point.

YOU ARE ALL BLOODY IMMIGRANTS
    ok

12. I'm talking about people who weren't born in american and who's parents weren't born in America. Fresh immigrants. If you go back far enough in ANYONE'S history EVERYONE is an immigrant. Even the injuns.

13. 1+1=2
    2+2=4
    two people can have twenty children in a lifetime so tell me how 200 years without contraception can result in a decrease in the population?
    No way has the population of any country decreased in the last 200 years.
    therefore the belief that without migrants america would have less people is in my eyes ridiculous.The black death killed 20 million Europeans, millions more died in the two world wars, yet the population just keeps on growing.How many people do you know who have three kids or more??
    More people are being born than are dying so how could americas population decrease ???Believe me it just doesn't happen.

14. Who would the beverly hills set employ
    who would take your trash away
    who would drive your taxis

15. The unemployeed and starving americans!!!!!!

16. The population wouldn't decrease but the increase wouldn't be half as much or less.~

17. Thats as maybe ,it would never decrease and that's what was said.

18. I'm not talking about the last 200 years. I'm talking about modern times. The last 20-30 years. I'm not just making random shit up here. We have to study crap like this for sociology class. The black death killed millions of europeans but the fertility rate was high enough for the population to rise again.

I'm skimming through the book looking for certain parts. I'll just pop a couple facts in here.

-A country must have a fertility rate of 2.11 children per adult woman to sustain population

-When women's activities are isolated around the home, their worth depends largely on ability to bear and rear children.
    (thus, when we progressed to letting women have lives, too, it caused them to have less reason to have as many children)

-Not a single country in Europe is having enough children to replace itself.
    (I know, not america)

-Italy is having 1.2 children per adult woman.
    (still not america)

-Studies have shown that increasing education is one of the most effective ways to reduce birth rates. Education women are more likely to use contraceptives and family planning.

I can't find the part about the US because I haven't looked at this part of the book in a long ass time. I could keep quoting parts of the book though.

19. oh and I'm not saying anything bad about immigration and immigrants. Our country was founded with the idea that people could come here. I was just stating an interesting fact. Anyone that wants to come here LEGALLY and work to make a living for themselves and their families is fine by me.

20. Maybe you're not superior to other animals, but the rest of the human race is. Looks like you've got some catching up to do.